• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Omakase Sushi in San Diego Area

oh toro

I'm searching for a sushi bar or restaurant in the San Diego area where omikase is the preferred method amongst those in the know. My palate is attuned to the likes of Urawasa (LA), Murasaki (SF) and Kabuto (SF). So far I haven't been able to pinpoint any particular establishment. I'll be staying both in SD and La Jolla, although I'm willing to drive if necessary. What I have heard is that the uni from La Jolla is unreal.

TIA.

Dunno if that was a typo or not... it's "omakase."

I haven't been to San Diego in a long while, but sushi ota is probably your best bet.

http://www.gayot.com/restaurantpages/info....ES99248&code=SD

also, sorry i'm the bearer of bad news but kabuto was sold to some korean folks (the owners of ariake) a few months ago and the owner of murasaki has contracted some kind of throat cancer.

If you're visiting San Diego, the best advice is to head to Kearny Mesa and Convoy Street. That is where you will find the greatest - and best - concentration of Asian foods........of all kinds.

I'm pretty sure what you are seeking is at Sakura. The general consensus by knowledgable fans of Japanese cuisine in San Diego is that this is the place. Tremendous sushi and omikase. Finding it is the trick, if you can do that, you'll be rewarded with a great meal in a city not exactly known for great dining :wink: Sakura is located on Convoy and is in the same shopping center as The Original Pancake House , which is on the street and clearly visible from both directions, and since Sakura has virtually no external signage, this is the best landmark to use. Sakura is in the very back of the shopping center, next to the Army recruitment office. Also in this shopping center is La Playa a Mexican ceviche place (pretty good), a philly steak place (decent) and, I think, The Dumpling House (a little uneven at time, but very good and worth trying).

There are a couple of "secret" Japanese places in the south bay, i.e. Chula Vista/National City where you 1) need to be Japanese, 2) need to speak Japanese and 3) need to be connected in order to get in. These, clearly, serve only a Japanese clientel and from what I've been told the food is quite exceptional. I have a friend I can put you in touch with who knows quite a bit about these two restaurants, and is pretty plugged into the Asian dining scene in San Diego. As far as I know, even he has not been able to breach the Chrysanthemum curtain at these places.

You won't find "Omakase" in the sense of say Urasawa, but many times if you have developed a "relationship" with your Itamae, you'll be able to set-up a very nice menu. Usually there will be some set items, and Omakase Nigiri, or Sashimi, in which the Itamae who understands your taste will provide what is best that day.

A recent dinner at one of our local neighborhood joints:

http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/mmmyoso/2005/1...que_dinner.html

The live/fresh Uni in San Diego is superb.

Kirk

www.mmm-yoso.typepad.com

If you're visiting San Diego, the best advice is to head to Kearny Mesa and Convoy Street.  That is where you will find the greatest - and best - concentration of Asian foods........of all kinds. 

I'm pretty sure what you are seeking is at Sakura.  The general consensus by knowledgable fans of Japanese cuisine in San Diego is that this is the place.  Tremendous sushi and  omikase. Finding it is the trick, if you can do that, you'll be rewarded with a great meal in a city not exactly known for great dining  :wink:  Sakura is located on Convoy and is in the same shopping center as The Original Pancake House , which is on the street and clearly visible from both directions, and since Sakura has virtually no external signage, this is the best landmark to use.  Sakura is in the very back of the shopping center, next to the Army recruitment office.  Also in this shopping center is La Playa a Mexican ceviche place (pretty good), a philly steak place (decent) and, I think, The Dumpling House (a little uneven at time, but very good and worth trying). 

There are a couple of "secret" Japanese places in the south bay, i.e. Chula Vista/National City where you  1) need to be Japanese,  2) need to speak Japanese and 3) need to be connected in order to get in.  These, clearly, serve only a Japanese clientel and from what I've been told the food is quite exceptional.  I have a friend I can put you in touch with who knows quite a bit about these two restaurants, and is pretty plugged into the Asian dining scene in San Diego.  As far as I know, even he has not been able to breach the Chrysanthemum curtain at these places.

One point . . . was his ability to recollect the good dinners which it had made no small portion of the happiness of his life to eat.

--Nathaniel Hawthorne "The Custom House"

I agree with Kalypso that Sakura may be what you are looking for. The street address is 3904 Convoy. There is no exterior signage. Both sushi and cooked dishes can be quite excellent. His uni is always very good and fresh. While most patrons speak Japanese, both Kazu and his waitstaff know English. It is a small place and can get very busy. I usually try to show up around 6:30, so I can talk with Kazu and find out what is interesting and unusual.

One point . . . was his ability to recollect the good dinners which it had made no small portion of the happiness of his life to eat.

--Nathaniel Hawthorne "The Custom House"

i just talked to sushifoods (a supplier in sd) and they mention with the current storms and rough water, there will be no uni until after the new year. so that means i'll probably forego my plans for sushi while in sd.

for those who do live in sd, check out sushifoods for your supplies (here's the uni page for ya!):

SushiFoods

ps. i was thinking of purchasing a couple of trays of uni and just going to town on em. yes, i am hardcore :biggrin:

i just talked to sushifoods (a supplier in sd) and they mention with the current storms and rough water, there will be no uni until after the new year. so that means i'll probably forego my plans for sushi while in sd.

for those who do live in sd, check out sushifoods for your supplies (here's the uni page for ya!):

SushiFoods

ps. i was thinking of purchasing a couple of trays of uni and just going to town on em. yes, i am hardcore :biggrin:

You are going to eat an entire "styrofoam" tray of uni? You are hardcore. I'd rather just wait until I can get 1 "live uni" and have the Itamae prepare it for me. You'd use that tray of Uni, maybe for a sauce in the end? Catalina Seafood has some of the best Uni around. I know that misspelling "omakase" can be a bit irritating, but we understood the subject. I get this all the time from people who really don't understand the "Nihon" translation. You should see how people screw up my name!

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried Bento Sushi in Mira Mesa? Its next to Farrell's, facing the side of Target. If you've been there, what's your verdict?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 3 years later...

I had two great meals at Hane last week. Roger is a great sushi chef. His omakase dinner is wonderful. I would recommend it anyone who likes sushi. Omakse dinner is not cheap - range from $70 to $100 depending on what is available. Roger is a protege of Sushi Ota who is part owner of this sushi bar.