• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Are there any Portuguese Restaurants on Oahu?

Tkrup

Hey all,

I was just curious. I know chorizo and malasadas are really popular, but I was wondering if there were any true Portuguese places like the ones you can find in Newark, NJ or up in New England.

I tried hawaiidiner.com, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!!

Tkrup

To the best of my knowledge (I could certainly be wrong and, if I am, hopefully some kind soul will correct me!), there are no eateries here similar to the ones you describe.

"Eat it up, wear it out, make it do or do without." TMJ Jr. R.I.P.

• 2 weeks later...

We've never found a Portugese place like that on Oahu (odd given the strong role the Portugese played in Hawaii's history) But, the Koa Pancake House in Kaneohe has some breakfast items that are Portugese. Once a year one the downtown hotel, whose chef is Portugese, has a week long festival where he cooks dishes from his childhood.

Bob Foster, San Diego

We've never found a Portugese place like that on Oahu (odd given the strong role the Portugese played in Hawaii's history) But, the Koa Pancake House in Kaneohe has  some breakfast items that are Portugese.  Once a year one the downtown hotel, whose chef is Portugese, has a week long festival where he cooks dishes from his childhood.

any particular time of year, or just on a whim? That would be an awesome dining opportunity...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

We've never found a Portugese place like that on Oahu (odd given the strong role the Portugese played in Hawaii's history) But, the Koa Pancake House in Kaneohe has  some breakfast items that are Portugese.  Once a year one the downtown hotel, whose chef is Portugese, has a week long festival where he cooks dishes from his childhood.

any particular time of year, or just on a whim? That would be an awesome dining opportunity...

Not really a whim...more like research. We'll be spending a significant amount of time there and I want to map the foodscape before we go.

This year it was the first week in July. Here'a blurb from the newspaper.

"The Ala Moana Hotel's Plantation Cafe this week kicked off a Flavors of Portugal promotion with Chef Mark Braz's recipes for specialties from caldo verde soup to flan with port. A selection of Portuguese wines and beers will be served, too. Rotating dishes will be featured at lunch and dinner Tuesday through Sunday, through July 24, with Portuguese specialties added to the regular Friday and Saturday buffets and the Sunday brunch.

Most of the dishes are characteristic of mainland Portugal, though the flavors will be familiar to Islanders used to foods rooted in the Azores Islands and Madeira. Among the offerings: linguica grilled with brandy, pork with clams, casserole of salt cod and potatoes, veal cutlets in white wine sauce. Reservations: 955-4811."

You might try the Hawaii Council on Portuguese Heritage at 808-845-1616. for other items.

Edited by Bfson (log)

Bob Foster, San Diego