• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

mixer v mixer

beccaboo

I've had my blue KSM90 300W Kitchenaid mixer, made by Whirlpool, for almost 15 years. It has always worked really well for me--no problems at all. This summer I bought a beige K45SS 250W mixer, made by Hobart, at a yard sale, intending to give it to an under-equipped baking friend for Xmas. Shortly afterwards, when we redid the kitchen, I realised that the beige mixer looked a lot nicer with our new color scheme. I've been using it ever since too see how I like it, and now I have to decide which to keep and which to give away.

gallery_15907_2182_33627.jpg

As I said, I've had no problems at all with the blue one. The only flaws I've perceived in the beige one are:

--Its slowest speed is too fast, so it throws flour out when starting out. I can work around that, but it's kind of a nuisance.

--The little screw to adjust the beater height seems to be loose--I'm always having to adjust it (like every three weeks, not really always), and I never do with the blue one.

What do you all think?

I'd be wary of keeping a piece of equipment with which you've already experienced a few small flaws just because it fits with your color scheme. It's nice to have it in your kitchen, but the functionality is much more important. The new mixer may begin to aggravate the hell out of you after a while.

Formerly known as "Melange"

The fast start is typical of my 28 year old K45. As far as the loose screw. Try removing the screw and dabbing it with a little clear nail polish and replacing the screw making the adjustment. This should work.

Its like having two girlfriends - what a problem.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I had the same problem with my old Hobart and I found that wrapping a fine thread around the screw threads held it just fine but still allowed me to adjust the height.

(I have a copper liner for the bowl and have to raise the beater a little to keep it from striking the bottom of that bowl.)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'd be wary of keeping a piece of equipment with which you've already experienced a few small flaws just because it fits with your color scheme. It's nice to have it in your kitchen, but the functionality is much more important. The new mixer may begin to aggravate the hell out of you after a while.

It's just that I always hear about how the Hobart ones are better than the Whirlpool ones, so maybe, 20 years from now, I'd be glad I had the Hobart. Plus it's cute. I'm just really torn. I'll try andiesenji's thing with the thread, and see how that works.

Edited by beccaboo (log)

i'd keep both if i were you. i killed two of them, so a spare one is always nice *just in case*. vintage hobarts are precious compared to the new ones, so if in a year or two you still haven't used it you could always sell it on ebay, where people like me are waiting to pounce :D

if i had found a regular-sized one on ebay i would have purchased it -- but since i didn't i got an electrolux dlx instead -- and been a very happy baker for the past year.

stefoodie.net - now a wheatless, eggless, dairyless food blog

noodlesandrice.com (with b5media)

bakingdelights.com (with b5media, and my 15-yo-dd)

i'd keep both if i were you.  i killed two of them, so a spare one is always nice *just in case*.  vintage hobarts are precious compared to the new ones, so if in a year or two you still haven't used it you could always sell it on ebay, where people like me are waiting to pounce :D

if i had found a regular-sized one on ebay i would have purchased it -- but since i didn't i got an electrolux dlx instead -- and been a very happy baker for the past year.

I love my DLX also. I was shocked when I read in Cooks Illustrated that they didn't recommend it at all.

I guess they never considered that it is meant for large batches of stuff. As they described their test, it didn't sound like a fair one to me.

I can't make dough for 6 loaves in my KA and I have burned out motors on two while trying to knead stiff dough.

I do have a 35-year-old 10 quart Hobart but it suffered an accident and only has one arm to hold the bowl. (Fell off a cart onto the cement driveway and so long Hobart) It is still in a corner of the garage as I keep thinking that "someday" I will have the arm welded back onto the lifter.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett