• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum Source Ingredients

peros

What is the general difference, in taste, between Rums that have as their source ingredients either:

1. Fresh Cane Juice

2. Cane Syrup

3. Molasses

I personally prefer the rums that run a bit on the sweeter and smoother side.

p.s. since I live in Canada and can only get what the LCBO deems fit - anyone know a good source for Pampero or Zacapa here? Or is a trip across the border neccessary?

I think you cannot put your finger down on one general difference between types of rums made out of molasses or cane juice (I'm presume cane syrup belongs under cane juice...). Ageing and distillation methods decide much of what a rum will taste like.

However, I've come to think that molasses-based rums (rhum industriel) are generally harsher than cane juice rums (rhum agricole), unless they have been aged for a relatively long time. Cane juice rhums achieve certain fullness and character after a relatively short period of ageing (see, for example, Clement's Rhum Vieux).

However, both varieties can reach excellence if made properly and people's preferences vary, so there are no clear rules one way or the other.

If you like sweet and smooth rums, you could try, for example, Barbados Plantation Rum, which is a cane juice rum. It is a bit smoother and sweeter than I'd like, but a good rum nevertheless.

• 2 weeks later...

You have touched on the basic difference between rhum agricole and rum made from molasses.

The French distilleries distill fermented sugar cane juice to only about 72% alcohol by volume. This relatively low distillation purity results in a spirit that is very aromatic and contains significant congeners which account for the taste, aroma and character of these rhum agricoles.

On the other hand, during the sugar making process, relatively small amounts of sulphur and other trace elements are concentrated in the molasses by-product. When rum is made from molasses unless the fermented wash is distilled to a high proof, above 90% alcohol by volume, the congener level is unacceptable and the resulting alcohol is undrinkable.

In practice most distillers that use molasses as their raw material distill to at least 94% alcohol by volume to reduce the congener level and the yield a spirit that is significantly devoid of the esters and aldehydes which give rhum agricole its character.

When these two different spirits are aged their taste profiles converge and to a point that they can be hard to differentiate.

If sugar cane juice is distilled to the high proof that is generally employed to make rum from molasses, the spirit will be lighter and contain fewer congeners that a spirit made from molasses. In fact several French distilleries make what is called ‘rhum industriel’ from molasses. Most of this alcohol is used to make punches and liqueurs in France.

The differences in taste are the result of aging and the addition of flavoring. But due to the lower distillation purity, rhum agricole may seem to be more harsh but it depends on what you are used to. I drink rhum agricole mixed with a little cane syrup and a slice of lime. And although this drink is somewhat tart, I can name a number of rums made from molasses that are much harsher. The best advice it try as many different rums as possible and make your own decision.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I've come to think that molasses-based rums (rhum industriel) are generally harsher than cane juice rums (rhum agricole), unless they have been aged for a relatively long time.

But due to the lower distillation purity, rhum agricole may seem to be more harsh but it depends on what you are used to.

It seems that we have different meaning for the word harsh here... Or I've become more used to rhum agricole than the molasses-based rums...

I prefer rums that have some (but not too much) edge to them, rather than the very mellow and sweet varieties... However, I dislike strong rums, such as some Jamaican products...