• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mandelbrot

ludja

In doing a recent search, it seems like there is not an Mandelbrot topic!

I have a specific question, but perhaps the thread can be more inclusive to discuss favorite types of mandelbrot. I'd be interested to learn.

My specific question is for a recipe that migiht be similar to a delicious mandelbrot I bought back East in an Italian Bakery. It is different in some ways from mandelbrot I have heard described, so I'm not sure if it is just an indiosyncratic albeit delicious version.

This mandelbrot was still in a whole loaf. The dough appeared to be studded with almonds, walnuts and candied cherries. The dough was not crunchy like biscotti, to which I've often heard mandelbrot compared. It was more of a firm, cakey texture; delicious at breakfast Is anyone familar with something like this? I.e. a mandelbrot served as a loaf which is sliced for eating and which has a softer texture? Also, this version, which was probably not kosher in any case, definately had flour in it so it would not be a Passover version.

Please also share your favorite types of mandelbrot as well...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I've never heard of it in that form.. but I wonder if it might be the same recipe - minus the steps of slicing and re-baking. I've never kept my loaves around long enough to see if they remain soft after an hour or two. I need to bake some (we call it Komish around here) in the next few days.. I'll bake an extra loaf and leave it for a while.

Of course, somebody out there might already have an answer for you :wink:

I found one recipe that seems to have much less flour than some others it also has a reveiew of being strangely chewy which I am assuming was a bad thing for the reviewer....

http://www.christmas-cookies.com/recipes/r...mandelbrot.html

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Mandelbread/Mandelbrot is also popular in Ashkenaze Jewish cooking as well, but frequently you see it during Passover, made with Matzoh Meal. You'd also be less likely to see candied fruits in it, that would pretty much instantly Gentile-ize it, although I have had it with nuts and chocolate chips.

This mandelbrot was still in a whole loaf. The dough appeared to be studded with almonds, walnuts and candied cherries.

Sounds like some flatter and stiffer form of Pannetone. I think I've had this at Italian bakeries here as well, but I am not sure what it is called.

EDIT: According to this page Pannettone comes in various forms and densities, among them, "Pandolce" which is very dense.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My mother makes a fairly cakey mandlebrodt. The dough is egg based, almost like the dough used in hamentaschen. That's rolled out into a large, thin sheet. She then coats the whole thing with either prune or apricot lekvar and sprinkles chopped walnuts and raisins. The whole thing is then rolled into a loaf a baked. Just once. While still soft, she slices it and lets cool.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I was going to use that joke myself but I thought otherwise...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host