• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

brie fritters

Marlene

I'm having a few people over for dinner tonight, all of whom are my willing guinea pigs when it comes to me trying new things. One of my favourite appetizers is baked brie in puff pastry, but I've done that several times. Since we all love Brie, I thought I might try to make Brie fritters. I've had these served with a raspberry sauce in the past at restaurants and I adore them.

Of course I adore anything fried. So how does one actually make these things? And since I have no raspberries or raspberry sauce, so what would I serve with them?

Suggestions?!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

So how does one actually make these things?  And since I have no raspberries or raspberry sauce, so what would I serve with them?

Suggestions?!

Since the raspberries would add that sweet/tart "foil" to the creamy fritters, and because you haven't got rasperries on hand at the moment, how about a cranberry coulis? Do you have either fresh or dried cranberries on hand? If so, how about cooking them up with a bit of orange juice, some sugar, and maybe adding a bit of finely chopped orange rind?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

You could combine chopped apple with the brie mixture inside -- as baked brie is commonly served with apple that might be nice. Or freshly cooked apple sauce on the side. Rachel recently posted a recipe in Recipegullet for it.

http://recipes.egullet.org/recipes/r1520.html

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

They're bite size pieces of brie rolled in something or other and deep fried. I love them but I've never made them But GG, you've given me an idea. Maybe instead of going to all the trouble of deep frying, i'll cut up individual brie cubes, add some cranberry and put into phyllo pocket.

Marlene

Here's a recipe for Brie Fritters.

They sound delicious.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

That's it Anna. Thanks! THey serve these at the pub on Third line by the QEW if you ever happen to drop in there. I'm going to wait to make these until I have the raspberry stuff. But oh, they are good!

Marlene

Actually cooking a package of frozen strawberries long enough to reduce by half, and when cold they become quite thick, so now add a heaping tablespoon of freshly grated Horseradish root (not the 'jar' stuff). Refrigerate for 24 hours to get proper 'heat'.

edit to add:

I use a Beer batter made of equal amounts of plain flour, cornstarch and Aunt Jemima Pancake Mix, say a cup each plus three eggs and enough beer to produce a dunking batter. Refrigerate for two hours before use. It will rise - just beat down.

Edited by Peter B Wolf (log)
Peter

I don't know if anybody saw the most recent edition of CHOW magazine, but they had a good little article on fritter making. They were making polenta fritters (less Atkins friendly that brie fritters), but on their website someone was extrapolating their recipe to cheese related fritters.

Although I enjoy brie very much, by favorite fried cheese creation have long been the Green Chili Wontons from the Bristol restaurant in Louisville KY.

Alamut was the mountain fortress of Hassan i Sabbah and the later heads of the Assassins. Alamut represents more than just a physical place, more even than a symbolic home of the movement. Alamut was with you in what you did; Alamut was in your heart from the moment of your arrival and introduction to "Heaven" until the moment you died.

Although I enjoy brie very much, by favorite fried cheese creation have long been the Green Chili Wontons from the Bristol restaurant in Louisville KY.

Now these look like my kind of appetizer. Thanks!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 weeks later...