• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

South American in Toronto

rgruby

Another area I am not all that familiar with. I know there isa Peruvian (?) place on the College strip - that I tried once and wasn't wild about - and there are a number of places on St. Clair stretching west of Bathurst, and I think I've spotted a place or two along Jane as well, but I'm sure there's more out there.

So, S. American in TO - what have you tried, what are some of the representative dishes from the different cuisines, what are your favourites?

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Sorry I don't have anything to contribute, but just wanted to say I'll be following this thread with interest, since my wife and I just got back from a week in Uruguay. Some of the best roasted meat ever. Are there any Uruguayan/Argentinean parilladas in the city?

Sorry I don't have anything to contribute, but just wanted to say I'll be following this thread with interest, since my wife and I just got back from a week in Uruguay. Some of the best roasted meat ever. Are there any Uruguayan/Argentinean parilladas in the city?

Hey, anything you can tell us about the cuisine from Uruguay would be good too - what to order if we stumble upon a Uruguayan resto, for example. Or what a parillada is.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

I haven't tried many S American places in Toronto, however I love the Columbian bakery on Dufferin south of Lawrence (same plaza as Lady Yorke Foods. I popped in one day for a cafe con leche (excellent) and a milk bun (also excellent). They have a variety of homemade savouries as well, empanadas with different meats and crusts, all delicious. Staff is very helpful, even with my limited Spanish, although most of them do speak english.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

...however I love the Columbian bakery on Dufferin south of Lawrence, same plaza as Lady Yorke Foods....

That would be the place right next to City Fish, ¿verdad? (I haven't been in, but noticed it while visiting CF - based on the recommendations on this site, of course. Thanks all.)

As for South American, there should be lots of suggestions on this, as there are lots of places around. One question, though, is what is 'South American'? We're taught in school - or at least I was - that SA runs from Colombia on down. But I was wondering if someone might soon contribute their ideas on Central American places. From my experience, the world outside of North America sees SA as being any country from Mexico on down.

Anyway, here's a couple things...

Peruvian - El Bodegon on CollegeW, which someone referred to earlier, seemed great to me when I was a student over 10 years ago. I don't know how it is now, or if I'd like it the same, but it's shown some longevity and looks like how I remember.

Argentinian and Uruguay - I know they're both big into their meat, and the Argentinians for one lay claim to having the best beef in the world. I've read meats are served differently in the two countries - similarly, but still with some differences. I imagine a real Argentinian place would have its meat imported.

Brazilian - There are mid-range Brazilian places around the Portuguese area. There's one, I believe, under a 'Sleep Country' shop south side of DundasW between Dufferin and Ossington (if not under Sleep Country, then very close by). There's also a new (I think) place on the north side of QueenW east of Ossington. I haven't been to either, but wouldn't mind one day.

North side of DundasW around Dovercourt, there is a cafe called the 'Brasileiro' which, while not gourmet, certainly has tasty and economic food. There's no set price from what I can tell. There's just some food behind the counter, you tell them what looks good, how much, and then they charge you a few bucks. Usually there's rice and beans, pork, beef, and so on. I go there to watch soccer games, myself. Great fun. (Although I'd be happy watching soccer most anywhere.) Anyone who enters is assumed to speak Portuguese, though some staff speak English.

Uruguayan cuisine is very heavy on meat. In fact, I don't think I saw a vegetable side dish the entire time I was there. Even the potato side-dishes were an afterthought and not that well-prepared (I think I had "tater tots" once!). But the meat...

Meat is prepared over a wood-fired grill (never charcoal) and is always grass-fed and extremely fresh. Uruguay, after all, is really just one big cattle ranch with some beaches attached(!).

Parrillada (and Asado) are words used to describe this barbecued meat and normally you can have just about any part of the cow, from sausages (chorizo) to organ meats (didn't try any of those).

I suspect Argentinean barbecue would be similar, but the Uruguayans are fiercely competitive with their larger neighbours and will always claim to have better meat. There must be some Uruguayans in Toronto because when I was at a soccer match in Montevideo, I was sitting a few feet away from a guy wearing a Leafs baseball cap, if you can believe it!

• 3 weeks later...
Although I don't know the name, my wife went to a small Brazilian place on the south-east corner of Bloor and Crawford - she said the food was good, and the portion size was great!

What did she eat?

Ah well, thanks for asking, and welcome to Egullet. I hope you'll post more of your finds (good and bad) on the Toronto board.