• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High Atop the Fridge

srhcb

A bag of dry cat food.

Cans of canned cat food.

Dust, I assume. I'm a smaller lady and can't see the top of this black monster of a 'fridge.

A beautiful golden pothos plant that has finally reached the kitchen floor.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

In my kitchen there is a small cabinet between refrigerator and freezer but no cabinets above them so I have room for lots of "stuff". Fridge has a dead TV, small pothos, and a garlic roasting dish.

Freezer has 2 kerosene lamps in case of power outage, soup tureen, jar of tri-color rotini, bamboo steamer. my grandmother's churn, and a bag of birdseed.

Several empty ice cube trays

The oven thermometer (it always gets knocked off when we're baking)

Empty juice pitcher

Cast-iron aebleskiver pan

Bag of Veggie Booty

Bag of Tim's Cascade Habanero Potato Chips

The funny thing is that I had no idea what was on top of ours until I looked, but I can remember exactly what was on top of my childhood refrigerator: a large cookie jar shaped like a squirrel (which we never used), a large wooden tub lined with a plastic bowl that said "Popcorn" on the side (often used, with our air popper), and my dad's medications. The cupboard above the refrigerator was opened perhaps once a year, and contained mysterious, little-used items, some of which were my parents' wedding gifts (I think there was a fancy cheeseboard, for example).

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I had breakfast with my next-door neighbors and mentioned this thread. They immediately took inventory of the things on top of their refrigerator and I made a list.

A basket of chiles that are in the process of drying.

At the back, reachable only with a step-stool is a bottle of very expensive tequila.

A tin of "Danish cookies" those that appear in stores every year.

A tin of popcorn, 3 flavors.

A revolver, 38 special in a padded box.

A jug of vinegar.

A dish with some jewelry that was removed by someone at the T-Day party and not yet claimed. Someone is missing a wedding and engagement ring and a fancy dinner ring, a watch and a bracelet. Also a retainer wrapped in a napkin. Somebody's teeth are not in training!

And last but not least, $80.00 (4 20.00 bills in a paper clip) that was placed there some time back and forgotten.

Mrs. Obregon says to thank whoever began this "conversation" as she thought she had lost it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I had breakfast with my next-door neighbors and mentioned this thread.  They immediately took inventory of the things on top of their refrigerator and I made a list. 

A basket of chiles that are in the process of drying.

At the back, reachable only with a step-stool is a bottle of very expensive tequila.

A tin of "Danish cookies" those that appear in stores every year.

A tin of popcorn, 3 flavors.

A revolver, 38 special in a padded box.

A jug of vinegar.

A dish with some jewelry that was removed by someone at the T-Day party and not yet claimed.  Someone is missing a wedding and engagement ring and a fancy dinner ring, a watch and a bracelet.  Also a retainer wrapped in a napkin.  Somebody's teeth are not in training!

And last but not least, $80.00 (4 20.00 bills in a paper clip) that was placed there some time back and forgotten.

Mrs. Obregon says to thank whoever began this "conversation" as she thought she had lost it.

Perhaps there's a connection between the 38 and the jewelry? To say nothing of the "forgotten" cash.

Perhaps you live next door to robbers! :shock:

SB (Tell Mrs Obregon she's welcome. She can forward my normal 25% "finders fee" to the local Food Shelf) :wink:

I had breakfast with my next-door neighbors and "conversation" as she thought she had lost it.

Perhaps there's a connection between the 38 and the jewelry? To say nothing of the "forgotten" cash.

SB (Tell Mrs Obregon she's welcome. She can forward my normal 25% "finders fee" to the local Food Shelf) :wink:

Not very likely they are robbers! Two of their sons are cops, one a Highway patrolman the other an L.A. Co. Sheriff. Mr. Obregon fills in as a security guard at the Palmdale airport when they are short-handed so his security check is pretty solid.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I had breakfast with my next-door neighbors and "conversation" as she thought she had lost it.

Not very likely they are robbers! Two of their sons are cops, one a Highway patrolman the other an L.A. Co. Sheriff. Mr. Obregon fills in as a security guard at the Palmdale airport when they are short-handed so his security check is pretty solid.

But, "It is said that one cannot judge a book by its cover" That would, however, explain the 38 Special. :wink:

And if this had been a contest for "Strangest Item Atop a Fridge", your neighbors would be in First Place!

No cabinets above the fridge, so I have a small b/w TV there. Does anyone else watch cooking shows while they cook? (Do you remember that wonderful scene in Desperately Seeking Susan?) I also use it to store the bags of flour and sugar yet to be dumped into their storage bins, a few extra ice cube trays and much dust.

This thread reminds me that I'm not using that space very efficiently, aside from the dust. I'll study and make the appropriate changes. :wink:

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I have a very sentimental item atop my refrigerator of tinyness... an IMMENSE 2 gallon vitrified china Starbucks Miami mug... with the original incorrect writing printed around the inside rim! Yes, it holds 2 gallons! Usually the aforementioned gallons are rum punch or lime rum lollygog but it has been known to hold 'highly flammable' Frappuccinos as well.

Secondly, a few dozen small cookbooks, but nothing compares to my lovely mug from the Bucksters. :wub:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

...oh, the shame, the shame... Being vertically challenged, I am frightened every time I grab a chair and actually look up there. Last year, I found a 3 year old package of Boboli that hadn't gone to mold( which made me wonder, briefly, what its half-life in one's digestive system is). Now, besides the dust that has become structural, some geriatric bananas, oat and honey granola bars, breakfast cereal that refuses to die, and tortilla chips that went stale around the time of the U.S. withdrawal from Vietnam. Guess what I'm doing tonight?

Kate

On top of my fridge currently is a large mixer covered in a very tacky plastic cover. A stray pot holder or two and a desk lamp. Yes, a desk lamp. The stove is right next to the fridge and the only light in the kitchen is a ceiling light that is directly behind you when you stand at the stove.

Oh ocassionaly things from freezer find their way on top of the fridge. Last item was a bag of french fries, they sat there for about half an hour before I saw them. From time to time either the milk or creamer and sometimes the orange juice will find themselves sitting on top of the fridge. It's so easy to set them there while searching for something else and forget about them. Of course it helps that I'm short enough not to be able to actually see the surface of the top of the fridge.

Cereal boxes, food processor, cat hairs. (Never actually *seen* the boy up there, but the preponderance of evidence suggests......)

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

I guess I'm the only person here who doesn't have dust on top of my fridge. No housekeeping Goddess, I have grease with a light dusting of cat hair and shredded wheat crumbs.

Plus: One forlorn wedge of pannetone, left over from Thanksgiving breakfast. Four Kaiser rolls. Box of afore-mentioned shredded wheat. Avocado green plastic breadbox, slicker then Liberace, and much less attractive. DH loves it.

Small plastic baggie of extra buttons from a shirt I bought this summer -- I guess I got dressed in the kitchen. And hooray: that small Phillips screwdriver I've been looking for; an overnight soak in ammonia and it's good to go.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Oh ocassionaly things from freezer find their way on top of the fridge.  Last item was a bag of french fries, they sat there for about half an hour before I saw them.  From time to time either the milk or creamer and sometimes the orange juice will find themselves sitting on top of the fridge.  It's so easy to set them there while searching for something else and forget about them.  Of course it helps that I'm short enough not to be able to actually see the surface of the top of the fridge.

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one that does that! I always get scolding for putting things on top of the fridge or freezer while I'm digging around and forget that I left things there!

I also have a bad habit of leaving my books that I'm reading in the fridge because I read, look for something to eat and put the books on the top shelf while I scrounge for something. And then I close the door and spend the next 15 minutes looking for my book. (-_-)

Currently on the top of the fridge & freezer is the cat. Nothing else, because the cat likes to sit up top and anything we put on there gets knocked to the floor - like it's invading his space or something. But at least the top of the fridge & freezer are dust free because of him!

Edited by mochihead (log)

There is a space between the top of my refrigerator and the bottom of the proverbial cabinet. That space holds my Grandmother's silver. All the rest of the space - both on the frige and in the cabinet - belong to the cat. I took off one of the doors and left the other one on. That gives her the cave she craves. I put an old sheet in the cupboard. Now she has a place to hide or hover at Her Majesty's pleasure.

Antique 5 gallon stoneware crock for pickle making, antique thing that holds paper for packaging like you might see in little house on the prairie, old empty 5 gallon glass water container from a 30's water cooler currently behind my radial saw in the cellar, huge lopsided Bennington pottery bowl never used for bread dough mixing, assorted half full bags of KA flour, plastic pail of slightly moldy glucose, and a couple of empty wine bottles.

gallery_38003_2183_355695.jpg

A brass coffee set from Mexico purchased some 30 years age and a menu chef with the kitchen theme.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

gallery_38003_2183_355695.jpg

A brass coffee set from Mexico purchased some 30 years age and a menu chef with the kitchen theme.

Did you dust before taking the picture?

SB (seeing as dust and cats are the most common fridge top items so far):wink:

I have far too little cabinet space so the top of my fridge is graced with a whole ton of, well, crap. From memory (I am at work right now), the following items are currently sitting up there:

- English muffins

- Breakfast cereal (2 boxes)

- Thomas's Cornbread toasting bread (oh that stuff is good)

- Peanut butter Hershey's kisses (evil incarnate) as well as the cherry cordial ones

- A Vosges Barcelona bar

- Granola bars

- A couple of acorn squash

- Two boxes of Japanese curry roux

- Chestnuts

- Sandwich rolls

- Phone books and takeout menus

- Crackers

- Tortilla chips

- Peanuts

- Dried fruit

I think that's about it. Hm. It seems like all the convenience foods land up there somehow.

Jennie

Everything but work papers, it can get pretty dicey up there.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Darth Vader & Drugs

DarthvaderandDrugs.jpg

OH....TFA! How do we relate? My Favourite theme song is the "Darth Vader Theme", and my husband has more drugs than I can keep track of....

Ahh...the late 70's and 80's.

Somehow your response does not suprize me.

I mean, Cereal...who does that? ME!

And Canadian Tire Money...and my husbands Lancets!

(This is the top of MY fridge....)

What's in the Baggie?