• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

High Atop the Fridge

srhcb

SB (Oh, and usually there's also a lot of rather grimey dust!) :wink:

Interesting question. On top of our fridge it the microwave. There isn't a lot of counter space in our galley kitchen so we keep it there. It is actually kind of convenient.

On the side that faces into the kitchn and behind the microwave we keep ceral and crackers. The other side faces the wall so there isn't any room to keep anything there.

Dan

A mini shopping cart filled with 2 loaves of bread.

A wicker basket that holds chips and other assorted goodies.

A paper towel holder.

Sometimes a rather large silver tabby, who likes to try to reach out and touch you if you are anywhere nearby.

Dust !

Today is going to be one of those days.....

• 2 weeks later...

"Did you dust before taking the picture?"

Dear srhcb: No, but must admit I did polish the brass.

Jmahl

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Hmm. Lots of arts and crafts stuff, a ream of newsprint, a basket of candy from holidays past (dating back to Christmas '04) that no one eats, a few empty baskets, various things that have been taken away from my son, and put up, only to be forgotten. A huge black art glass ribbon bowl, that was supposed to be the ONLY thing up there. I really tried to keep it uncluttered and beautiful. For a month.

Lots of crap. I'm a little neurotic about dust in the kitchen, so I run one of those fluffy dusters around up there once in awhile. I fool myself into thinking that does the trick.

This post makes me unhappy, after the holidays I have a cleaning project.

That's where the boxed brownie mix and the can koozies are.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Sadly, the top of the fridge is the place where toys and other objects go when the boys throw or hit or otherwise break the rules with something in hand. It's high enough that they can't climb up, but easy for either me or Mr. tejon to get things back down after the alloted time has been met. There's a wicker basket that from a distance looks decorative, but peering inside at the moment, you'd see a toy sword, several stuffed animals, a handful of marbles, and a penny. No food stuffs or otherwise interesting items there.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne