• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Andean bread/sandwich

More than a decade ago, we had a restaurant named after, and specializing in, a type of bread which also lent its name to sandwiches made with it. I believe they were called tieso (or perhaps hyphenated ties-o). I loved them and ate lunch there a lot. The memory of them still haunts me but I am apparently misremembering the name or spelling, as I cannot find any information on them anywhere.

I know that some foods are particular to a tiny village and may not find their way into the more mainstream culture, but thought I would reach out to the Society members in that part of the world for assistance.

Thanks in advance for any hints, clues, recipes or suggestions of resources or alternate spellings.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I'm not going to swear to this, as it's possible there's a bread that's colloquially known as "tieso" somewhere in the Andes, I run into stuff like that all the time. Tieso literally means stiff, or erect, and the only thing I've been able to find in relation to bread is having it used as a term to refer to the dough during the kneading process, and not very commonly - as the word also has the slang usage referring to, let's say, "the male member."

SaltShaker - Casting a little flavor (and a few aspersions) on the world of food, drink, and life

Casa SaltShaker - Restaurant de Puertas Cerradas

Spanish-English-Spanish Food & Wine Dictionary - a must for any traveler!

Wonderful...and I've gone on-record as saying the "memory of them still haunts me." :shock:

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

• 4 months later...
There's a place in boston where you can get a chilean sandwich, I think called a chacarero (http://www.chacarero.com/menu.html). I'm pretty sure they use a unique kind of flat bread...was it something like that?

That looks really close - the proof would be in the texture which is a little difficult to evaluate online :hmmm: Thanks very much for posting this. I have a friend who comes from Boston from time to time and will see if I can convince him to make a stop here on the way to the airport next time. Of course if it turns out to be the stuff of my dreams, I'll have to sell my soul to FedEx.

M.F.K. Fisher