• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NYC Restaurant owners, I need your recomendation

ejebud

I'm doing a hot doig joint in NJ and wondering where you've found the best prices for smallwares in the city. Also I thought I had heard if a place that specializes in chairs and barstools. We need 13 barstools, 6 chairs and 3 two tops. Thanks in advance for your help and direction.

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

There are a number of restarant chair suppliers on the Bowery. Check out the guy on the west side of the street just opposite Spring, a few doors up from Delancy among others. You should really scout the Bowery from Houston south at least until Delancy. I don't know what kind of small wares you're looking to find, but let me suggest Paragon on the west side of the Bowery between Houston and Prince is worth a look into for all sorts of supplies.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Don't forget eBay, too.

Check for keyword: "restaurant" under "Business & Industrial"

They have tons of smallwares, equipment & disposables. For example, a case of S/S dishers (scoops) --looks like #16 size--can be had for about $11.00, and a condiment pump is only .99.

Just keep an eye on your shipping costs.

There's also a place in Philly by the name of Mr. BarStool. Personally I think most of their stuff is too expensive, but if you want a baseline to go by, it's not bad.

Plus it may actually be cheaper than what's available in NYC, I'm not sure.

Ebay and some other restaurant supply websites aren't bad.

Auctions are something else, but that's also hit or miss.

I've sometimes wondered when walking past failed restaurants if it was worth calling the owner and just making an offer on what is visible (if any) through the window. This thought was initiated by looking at bar stools in one particular restaurant.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 2 weeks later...

The Chair Factory at 214 Bowery..although I just bought 75 chairs and 25 barstools, I still found the prices to be good. If your on a budget and material is not important auctions can save you alot, although they can be time consumming.

I have had good luck with Chef on Houston and Bowery. They will give you a good deal if you buy in volume and if you pay with cash you may even get a better deal.

john

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

There is a place I have had luck with under the infamous Sunshine Hotel (flophouse) Barbi, Bari, something with a b.

Bari, I believe, on the west side of the Bowery, but I never looked upstairs to see what was there. Bari is an excellent source for amateurs as well as they have a lot of stuff on display and one can browse.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Yep it is callled Bari. Off topic but a liitle info on The Sunshine and the Bari Family

The Sunshine Hotel, 241 Bowery, is said to be one of the Bowery's last old-line Skid Row era flophouses. As decribed by Debra Lynn Blumberg in The Villager, the Sunshine opened in 1922; at present 55 men live in small rooms with a bed and a locker, and the use of a communal bathroom.

The Bari family, who owns the Sunshine as well as many of the kitchen supply stores on this stretch of the Bowery, is no longer admitting new residents to the boarding house and would like to buy out the remainder. However the Baris have no intention of evicting any of the residents.

pulled from this great site Forgotten NY

Edit: Bari Site

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)