• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Brookland Valley, Margaret River

primowino

I haven't left a WTN for a while, but thought I should warn people about this wine. The Verse 1 range includes a delicious Sauvignon Semillon blend and I'm sure I have had some of the reds and thought they were OK. Each wine in the range sells for about £8.

This wine is completely dumb. However, I don't think it is going to come round because it doesn't have any aggressive tannin left - not surprising as it is 4 years old and probably at its "design" peak. I think the problem is mainly the level of alcohol compared to the level of fruit. It is 14.5 % (why do they do that) and the main impression from the wine is heat from the alcohol. It reminds me of a cheap port that has been open for a few days so that all the fruit has gone.

There is a feint hint of merlot in there somewhere but you have to look hard and it's not worth the effort. I have tried it over two nights with no improvement and now thrown half the bottle away - I don't do that often.

Edited by primowino (log)