• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner for Bachelor Party

ghost

So as a dedicated foodie, I want my bachelor party to start off with a really good dinner. Anyone care to recommend a good place in DC that would fit the bill? A steak place or something not too haute would be nice. But I'd like to remember this as one of those best dinners ever.

:-)

WhizWit.net -- My blog on Food, Life, and Politics

So as a dedicated foodie, I want my bachelor party to start off with a really good dinner.  Anyone care to recommend a good place in DC that would fit the bill? A steak place or something not too haute would be nice.  But I'd like to remember this as one of those best dinners ever.

A bunch of guys looking for red meat, presumably looking for further "after-dinner" entertainment couldn't do better than starting at Ray's the Steaks.

Bill Russell

congrats on the upcoming wedding.

I love the capital grill (the one on PA ave). Start with seafood platter, great steak, dessert and cigars with a nice port. One of the better meals I've had.

Have fun.

So as a dedicated foodie, I want my bachelor party to start off with a really good dinner.  Anyone care to recommend a good place in DC that would fit the bill? A steak place or something not too haute would be nice.  But I'd like to remember this as one of those best dinners ever.

A bunch of guys looking for red meat, presumably looking for further "after-dinner" entertainment couldn't do better than starting at Ray's the Steaks.

He said in DC.

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

He said in DC.

That could be interpreted by many as meaing the "DC area" vs the "Baltimore area" or the "rest of Delmarva area".

A few metro stops away isn't exactly a different timezone and is more than worth it for the best, not-too-haute steaks in, or out-of, town.

Do you have any suggestions?

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

Call me old-fashioned, but I don't think the point of a bachelor's party should be the food.

If I had to worry about food, I'd do Sam and Harry's for steaks, martinis and red wine, and then stagger around the corner to one of the naughty bars on the 1800 block of M street.

For my own bachelors party , I began at Austin Grill and ended up at Good Guys. It was sleazy, admittedly, but the marriage is going on 18 years.

Good lord, just get drunk and have fun! :biggrin:

Re Bilrus's suggestion: it should be noted that Ray's occupies the space once occupied by one of Northern Virginia's few topless joints, so the karma might be right.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Perhaps steak and huge lobsters at The Palm, as there are sometimes 'entertainers' of the variety you may seek later, dining with elder statesmen and D.C. power players that you could commandeer for the right price :wink: .

On a food note, the green beens aglio & olio are especially good at The Palm.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Nothing says "bachelor party" quite like a meal with Carole Greenwood.

:blink:

this being in the delmarva forum, why specify at all? 

regardless, how about:

charlie palmer

colorado kitchen

capital grille

palena back room

buck's fishing and camping

Dude (ette?):

Despite the butch name and the big steak, Buck's Fishing & Camping is way too sensitive male for a bachelor's party.

Though, if Carole herself would burst out of a cake, sashay over to the table and....substitute both the sauce and the vegetable from one of her entrees, I'd be pretty excited.

I'm on the pavement

Johnny's Half Shell. Great drinks, good wines, better food and it is run by a guy who, in all liklihood, will never have a bachelor party, but probably understands how to throw one like a pro.

Always the bridegroom, never the groom. There's a motto there, I think.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

If I had to worry about food, I'd do Sam and Harry's for steaks, martinis and red wine, and then stagger around the corner to one of the naughty bars on the 1800 block of M street. 

Sounds like the manliest option in DC to me. If Northern Virginia is OK, Ray's is also suitably manly.

If you don't want to spend that much, you can have burgers at Bourbon and then storm Good Guys and/or J.R.'s. They're right across the street from each other so you can even afford to get thrown out of one.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

regardless, how about:

charlie palmer

colorado kitchen

capital grille

palena back room

Dude (ette?):

Despite the butch name and the big steak, Buck's Fishing & Camping is way too sensitive male for a bachelor's party.

Though, if Carole herself would burst out of a cake, sashay over to the table and....substitute both the sauce and the vegetable from one of her entrees, I'd be pretty excited.

I think you are missing the gist of the request. I don't think he plans on having the party at the actual restaurant. Besides, if this was a restaurant appropriate for a bachelor party, could you really expect to have the best meal of your life there? So as far as a place for a steak, not too haute, I think buck's fits the bill. lap dances, football and male bonding, probably not so much.

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

regardless, how about:

charlie palmer

colorado kitchen

capital grille

palena back room

Dude (ette?):

I think you are missing the gist of the request. I don't think he plans on having the party at the actual restaurant. Besides, if this was a restaurant appropriate for a bachelor party, could you really expect to have the best meal of your life there? So as far as a place for a steak, not too haute, I think buck's fits the bill. lap dances, football and male bonding, probably not so much.

Ahem. It's a joke. (except the sensitive-male decor. Too gauzy and romantic for for a BP)

Carole Greenwood has a reputation as a brutally inflexible chef. She once told the Washington City Paper "I don't cook to make people happy. I cook because I'm an artist. And food is my medium. I have no need to nurture the world." Check out the first two customer reviews, here.

For many, seeing Carole substitute both a sauce and a vegetable would be much kinkier and more daring than the ecdysiastical frenzy traditionally associated with a bachelor's party.

I'd buy the video on the web. :biggrin:

I'm on the pavement

I got the joke. But you keep saying that the ambience is ill-suited for a bachelor party. I couldn't agree more, but I'm assuming that this a pre-bachelor party dinner, not the actual location of the bachelor party. And I think there is a greater chance of having the best meal of your life at buck's as opposed to the palm.

Jason

Editor

EatVancouver.net

Generally speaking, though, Buck's offers one and only steak. It's a good one, but I don't think that makes it a steakhouse.

regardless, how about:

charlie palmer

colorado kitchen

capital grille

palena back room

Dude (ette?):

Looks like its gonna be Ray's, I've heard so many good things, I'm happy that they were able to squeeze us in and all that. I'll definitely post a story of my experiences a few days after! Thanks!

WhizWit.net -- My blog on Food, Life, and Politics