• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee Ice Cream Recipes

bursell

I like Elizabeth David's Glace Moka, fro French Provincial Cooking.

A classic. Its what I make when I want to make coffee ice cream

I paraphrase

Put 4oz well flavoured coarse ground coffee, 3 beaten egg yolks, 3 oz light soft brown sugar and a strip of lemon peel (optional) in 1 pt of single cream.

Heat gently until it begins to thicken stirring all the time. Strain and cool. It should still have fine speckles of coffee grounds in it.

Spin in an ice cream machine, or freeze and mush up when half frozen.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

My method is very similar. Learned it from Pastry Witch in my restaurant days. I add the coffee (she used finely ground espresso, I use whatever is in the freezer) to my custard base (don't use lemon peel or brown sugar) after it reaches the thickened stage. Take it off the heat, give it a stir until it reaches the desired color, strain, cool, and churn.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I make a coffee caramel ice cream, taken from an old Gourmet magazine - though it gives instructions to add a caramel swirl, but I didn't bother, as the ice cream is sweet and rich enough as is.

It's a bit more labor intensive than the other recipes posted, as you have to make a burnt sugar caramel first. Melt the sugar by itself in a heavy pot until deep golden brown (but not black - don't burn it - swirl the pan to make sure all of the sugar melts but don't stir it). Remove from heat then add cream and milk down the side (be careful as the caramel will steam and harden up). Simmer until all the caramel is dissolved.

Then add the cream mixture to lightly beaten eggs in a slow stream while whisking - and then cook on low until the custard reaches 170 on a candy thermometer (careful not to boil). Mix the espresso powder and vanilla into the custard, and strain through sieve. Cover the surface and refrigerate until cold (3 to 48 hours). Freeze with your ice cream maker as directed, and then leave in the freezer overnight. I found that it takes awhile for the custard to harden properly.

The burnt sugar caramel adds a nice dimension to the ice cream. Mmmm. My ice cream maker died, and I need to go out and get another one, or I'd start it up and make it right now!

Huh. I should put Ice Cream Maker on my Christmas list now that I think about it!

1 1/4 cups sugar

2 3/4 cups heavy cream

1 cup whole milk

4 large eggs

3 tablespoons instant espresso powder

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

let me know what you think!

I start with 35 g coffee, ground for french press, 200 ml milk, 200 ml heavy cream, 1 egg yolk, 80 g sugar.

use a fine strainer to shake some of the dust out of the coffee, then place in a french press. Heat the milk and cream in a pot to 200 F. Pour into press and steep for about 8 minutes. Press and pour back into pot, then make custard and freeze.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

i didn't know i wanted any coffee ice cream until i read that last recipe. i have to try it!

I had the same thought. :biggrin: I think I'm going to add a couple Cadbury Flake chocolate bars to the mix.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

I made some last night basically following Jackal's recipe. I churned it today and I'll see how it tastes tonight.

I'm definately going to try the burnt sugar recipe above sometime!

Brian :)