• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations near BAM?

sakana

I'm heading to BAM Rose Cinemas next weekend, and know nothing about the area. Could you guys recommend a couple of good places for dinner? I'm not there very often, so if anything is a must-visit, please let me know.

Biesl Thomas (sp?), right across the street, is a very good Austrian restaurant. Not fancy like Wallse; more like Gutenbrunner's (sp?) new place in the Le Zinc space is described as being.

Franny's, a few blocks up Flatbush, serves some of the best pizza in New York (not that I've eaten all the pizza in New York so as to qualify myself to make such a ridiculous statement). It's not a pizzeria but a sit-down restaurant, serving whole pies, great appetizers, and (for some reason I never see this mentioned) wonderful cocktails.

Ici is a little bit of a walk (it's on DeKalb right before Vanderbilt), but the fancied-up bistro food is well worth it.

Stonehome Wine Bar is very nice...we had very tasty food and good service there, and the wines by the glass and flights are good value, especially if you're used to Manhattan prices. The small-plate approach was nice for pre-theatre dining.

We found the food uneven at Thomas Beisl...my salmon tasted frozen and both the food and service seemed uninspired and perfunctory. We were underwhelmed by dessert, too, which is heartbreaking at an Austrian place! It's so very near BAM, though, that if you order right...the most classically Austrian meat dishes are best.

The BAM website has a good listing of nearby restaurants.

Edited by Liz B-F (log)

• 1 year later...

Here's a link to an earlier thread on restaurants near BAM (see below). Scopello and Beisl are both okay for what & where they are, although Beisl's kitchen crew has an annoying habit of blasting a southern blues-rock radio station at full volume when the restaurant's kind of empty. Not that I object to that musical genre, but it isn't necessarily what I feel like listening to under the circumstances.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...0entry1193506