• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Traveler's 1 Barrel

VoodooDog

First off, I like it. It's like sugar free alcoholic liquid toffee.

Second, its price point can't be beat.

That said, I can't seem to find anything to do with it except drink it neat. Mind you that is good enough.

Still... Everytime I do anything with it, it just seems to lose its tasty nature and just comes out wrong.

Have any of you been successful in doing something with it?

Hey Dog,

what have you tried so far? One Barel seems to mix well with just about everything that I've tried.

Dan

Well... Ice seems to wreck it. Water only brought out some of it's more nasty notes that were nicely hidden. The Daiquirí I made was just plain wrong. :wacko:

I pretty much stopped there. I would have moved on to a MaiTai, but the flaver profile seemed just wrong for it.

I suppose I should try a "dim" and stormy. I'd put in coke, but why?

What have you tried with it?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Voodoo,

I'd recommend juices with the One Barrel. Try something like a punch made with cranberry and orange juice. Tropical juices such as mango and papaya are also worth a try. In the end, only you can decide what tastes good to you, so sit down with a bottle and a few mixers and experiment. Please let me know if you find anything that works for your taste.

Dan

Hi Voodoo,

I'd recommend juices with the One Barrel. Try something like a punch made with cranberry and orange juice. Tropical juices such as mango and papaya are also worth a try. In the end, only you can decide what tastes good to you, so sit down with a bottle and a few mixers and experiment. Please let me know if you find anything that works for your taste.

Dan

Funny you should ask. I was just getting around to posting just that.

I find it is very good in eggnog. Either in the "from scratch" kind or in fortifying the pre made such as Pennsylania Dutch.

Actually, it was making for a VERY tasty and quite hard nog when mixed 1/3 to 1/2 with PD eggnog. :biggrin: