• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: jamiemaw - In the Belly of the Feast: Eating BC

jamiemaw

Questions, please.

Knives and appetites whetted. Widows consoled. And all questions answered here.

Fire them in . . .

J.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Questions, please.

Fire them in . . .

J.

Well, if you insist, as long as the children of the widows have been fed....a series of questions that have been bothering me lately....

As more and more "food blogs" hit the web, what is your take on how a foodblog affects both restaurant critics and wannabes? Are bloggers using their sites as resume builders, ego-boosts, self-indulgent rants, or purely for the love of food (or all of the above?)? After the success of Chocolate & Zucchini, are more and more foodbloggers hoping to use their blog as a means to start a career in food? Does the food blogging phenomenon somehow take away from what restaurant critics specialize in, or does it make those critics all the more valued?

Eating pizza with a fork and knife is like making love through an interpreter.

We've seen Rocket Science before. None the worse for that

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=53127

The pre-arugula, post arugula, and post modern (mache?) periods extend to all areas of dining:

Pre-Arugula

Starter: Prawn Cockail

Main: Steak, well done

Desert: Black Forest Gateau

Wine: Blue Nun

Post Arugula:

Starter: Whitebait or Gravlax

Main: Steak, rare

Desert: Chocolate Mousse or Death by chocolate

Wine: Oaky Rioja

Post Modern:

Starter: Vegetable terrine with two coloured sauces, feathered

Main: Steak, slow cooked but pink, Vegatables as seperate courses

Desert: Chocolate sampler or choclate creme brulee

Wine: Obscure Chilean

Jamie,

Is the Coach House still open in Naramata. Is it good? Is it still almost impossible to get a table?

You briefly mentioned the ALR, but I want to know more about the increasing pressure for developers to take over farm land in our province.

Have you ever seen the Ogopogo?

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Questions, please.

Fire them in . . .

J.

I think it was the year 1999, Jamie, in Los Angeles, and at the Trader Joe's there, and we were both in line. Myself and a rather attractive older man. It was that time of the year that they had the little mini rose plants by the door. I remember this clearly because they didn't have my wine that day and I was in a hurry to get somewhere, but the rose plants attracted me. You (I mean this man) came up to me and asked me (I'm not sure why you chose me except at that time I kept my hair in a close low chignon and sported double breasted herringbone to work. ) and you asked me - what is Arugula? I was a bit taken aback because I don't talk to strangers like you talked to me. So I told you. You stayed in line with your purchase, so I assume you were happy with the answer. The truth is, I only knew because my sister has been dropping "arugula" into every food related conversation she can since - yes, the year 1995, I think. She is no granola type. She shops strictly at the hypermarkets. So even when Arugula was available in the mid-90s, there were some people near the turn of the century who still weren't sure what it was.

My question was and is, I mean, relational radar screen through retrospective lens and all that, can we really count on Lam's 50/50 analysis of the salmon thing?

We've seen Rocket Science before. None the worse for that

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=53127

The pre-arugula, post arugula, and post modern (mache?) periods extend to all areas of dining:

Pre-Arugula

Starter: Prawn Cockail

Main: Steak, well done

Desert: Black Forest Gateau

Wine: Blue Nun

Post Arugula:

Starter: Whitebait or Gravlax

Main: Steak, rare

Desert: Chocolate Mousse or Death by chocolate

Wine: Oaky Rioja

Post Modern:

Starter: Vegetable terrine with two coloured sauces, feathered

Main: Steak, slow cooked but pink, Vegatables as seperate courses

Desert: Chocolate sampler or choclate creme brulee

Wine: Obscure Chilean

Jack,

Yes, what goes around . . . Except for the well-done steak, menus have gone pre-arugula, with the substitution of rieslings for the Blue Nun or screw-top Kressman's. Hey, even that's come back. At the dinner in Kelowna (upthread), where a number of wine-folks crowded the table, we discussed the Stelvin and its many options (including a new mouth-breather) at some length.

The expectation is that Stelvin closures will be widely instituted for BC VQA wines over the next several vintages. That will save cost of production, of course, and virtually eliminate spoilage. During the conversation, I mused as to what my business would look like if, when I got up in the morning, I knew that 5% to 7% of everything I did would be dead wrong. "Call it a really good day," I said.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Questions, please.

Fire them in . . .

J.

I think it was the year 1999, Jamie, in Los Angeles, and at the Trader Joe's there, and we were both in line. Myself and a rather attractive older man. It was that time of the year that they had the little mini rose plants by the door. I remember this clearly because they didn't have my wine that day and I was in a hurry to get somewhere, but the rose plants attracted me. You (I mean this man) came up to me and asked me (I'm not sure why you chose me except at that time I kept my hair in a close low chignon and sported double breasted herringbone to work. ) and you asked me - what is Arugula? I was a bit taken aback because I don't talk to strangers like you talked to me. So I told you. You stayed in line with your purchase, so I assume you were happy with the answer. The truth is, I only knew because my sister has been dropping "arugula" into every food related conversation she can since - yes, the year 1995, I think. She is no granola type. She shops strictly at the hypermarkets. So even when Arugula was available in the mid-90s, there were some people near the turn of the century who still weren't sure what it was.

My question was and is, I mean, relational radar screen through retrospective lens and all that, can we really count on Lam's 50/50 analysis of the salmon thing?

Lucy,

Uncanny. The miniature white rose plant that I brought home for the dinner party on Saturday (that Slake, the lowlife-infidel-rounder, curmudgeoned) is set against the window frame, sipping in the meagre north light above the lawn, which the gardeners and the rain have managed to style into some sort of Battle of the Somme reenactment.

So that was you! Of course I knew perfectly well what arugula was when I approached you: slightly peppery, nubile and crisp. It may or may not have just a whisper of down like a woman's belly or a good Rhône. So I wasn't the least bit interested in your response, at least not the first one. It was, of course, the low chignon, and your interest in out-of-season miniature roses, that attracted me to ask the question.

Do you remember your response?

In response to your question, I can only add that I count on Lam for nothing, unless he's been butterflied, rolled, tied and braised at least seven hours.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Jamie,

Is the Coach House still open in Naramata. Is it good? Is it still almost impossible to get a table?

You briefly mentioned the ALR, but I want to know more about the increasing pressure for developers to take over farm land in our province.

Have you ever seen the Ogopogo?

Zuke

Hi Zuke!

I'm pretty sure that you meant the Country Squire, which, alas has been closed for a couple of years. Legendary it was and for good reason - terrific food and hospitality in that warm little window seat of the Okanagan.

The ALR is a good thing and is quite fiercely protected. That being said, there is a fair amount of 'non-arable' land within its boundaries that is swapped out. In urban centres such as Kelowna, that are constrained by the ALR, the issues become more complex. What is really destestable has been the massive, hideous sprawl down Highway 97. What is required is more densification - 'smart growth' - not less, to force people out of their cars and into mixed-use village clusters through the valley. You can see the beginnings of that in Pandosy Village and in the reviving downtown area - there remains much work to be done.

I have seen Ogopogo recently as this past summer, when we cut the engine and just drifted down the lake. The pinot gris was ice cold, as I recall, the day hot and breezeless. He seemed less taciturn than Nessie, more of a frolic if you know what I mean. Finally, we had to go and I haven't seen him since.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Questions, please.

Fire them in . . .

J.

Well, if you insist, as long as the children of the widows have been fed....a series of questions that have been bothering me lately....

As more and more "food blogs" hit the web, what is your take on how a foodblog affects both restaurant critics and wannabes? Are bloggers using their sites as resume builders, ego-boosts, self-indulgent rants, or purely for the love of food (or all of the above?)? After the success of Chocolate & Zucchini, are more and more foodbloggers hoping to use their blog as a means to start a career in food? Does the food blogging phenomenon somehow take away from what restaurant critics specialize in, or does it make those critics all the more valued?

It seems to me some of the challenges, constraints and opportunities for blogs versus hard publication are:

1. Time versus Money. Blogging is free. But blogging doesn't pay. But the blog audience is constrained by time; without editorial control, it takes time to find useful blogs, and more time to assimilate them. There is such a thing as too much information. Hard publication is necessarily self-levelling: the publication either expensively attracts a paying audience or goes out of business. In order to do so there is editorial direction, fact-checking and, hopefully, connectivity witht the reader. Random thoughts don't count for much; qualified information becomes more valuable.

2. I've taught a section in a university extension class in food journalism. Usually, out of 30 to 40 students, there might be one who combines the literacy, research and interviewing skills, the writing ability and the spirit of mind necessary to advance to an internship role. The others find a useful curriculum, methodology and reading list and are better enabled to pursue and enjoy their passion.

3. The power of forums such as eGullet lies in their interactivity; few blogs enjoy that sense of reach and discussion.

4. The vast majority of blogs will disappear. The energy and interest in keeping up a public diary requires rigour and stamina. Goodness, I've been doing this just since Thursday, and it does take some energy to keep you amused, you know.

5. I'm not sure that food blogs have a great influence on most restaurant critics or food writers, unless they were in a place they shouldn't have been to begin with.

All that being said, occasionally a blog might lead us to someone who is saying something new and original. That in turn might lead the blogger to a career in hard publication. Rarely though, I think, would we see the reverse., ultimately for the reason that Dr. Johnson so famously espoused.

Cheers,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Hello cayenne,

After much searching, I found the graham flour at Capers on West Fourth Avenue, right under my nose. It was a good product and worked well in the recipe.

Excellent, thanks so much!!!

I'm interested in your Cheesier Than Mariah Carey potatoes, they looked quite yummy to me. Any special recipe you might share for them, and also the lamb? Thanks for the salmon one, I'm saving that one to try. :cool:

And, may I say, your blog is a most beautiful and enjoyable collection of written work and visual delights, you could publish it. Just wonderful! :wub:

ETC my brain disconnection from the operation of fingers :rolleyes: That was too good of a recipe name to have screwed up. :wink:

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Okanjo wo onegaishimasu!

An evening with Sado San.

gallery_12924_2198_9496.jpg

A night with Sado is of a seamless sensuality, interrupted

only by brief bouts of commerce, and laughs. He's a funny

guy. But not in the draining ba-da-bing kind of way. It's

more unscripted sit-com: Sushi Man. His food is

calming too, like these little warming haikus of

clam soup that arrive, unbidden . . .

gallery_12924_2198_15912.jpg

Or in the simple rolls, where the slippery sweet avocado begins the bite that the spiced fish completes . . .

gallery_12924_2198_6486.jpg

gallery_12924_2198_45307.jpg

Gyoza packages arrive as uncontrived as the owner.

gallery_12924_2198_13123.jpg

Scant vinegar licks the rice on this caterpillar construction of fluffy rolls

gallery_12924_2198_64835.jpg

A pewter canoe of salmon and albacore, our local dominoes of pleasure

gallery_12924_2198_51173.jpg

A lobster roars its last

gallery_12924_2198_11259.jpg

Sado San presents the ingredients for his little charcoal grill (son of

hibachi?) - Kobe beef, mushrooms and scallions. Daikon stands by

in the dipping bowls.

A closer view . . .

gallery_12924_2198_44853.jpg

gallery_12924_2198_38490.jpg

They take the fire.

gallery_12924_2198_36071.jpg

The specials sheet.

The meal is done. And so are we.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Hello cayenne,

After much searching, I found the graham flour at Capers on West Fourth Avenue, right under my nose. It was a good product and worked well in the recipe.

Excellent, thanks so much!!!

I'm interested in your Cheesey as Maria potatoes, they looked quite yummy to me. Any special recipe you might share for them, and also the lamb? Thanks for the salmon one, I'm saving that one to try. :cool:

And, may I say, your blog is a most beautiful and enjoyable collection of written work and visual delights, you could publish it. Just wonderful! :wub:

cayenne,

I don't really have a recipe, but I'll try to recreate how I do it. These are great "pan-a-see-yuhs" as my mother calls them, i.e. make a few pans for over the holidays to serve with ham, lamb, beef, or even at brunch with eggs.

Cheesier Than Mariah Carey Scalloped Potatoes

You'll need:

1. A large (preferably square as in the picture) casserole or lasagne pan with a minimum two inch side, lightly buttered

2. About 10 large russet potatoes

3. About 1.5 litres of half-and-half or whole milk

4. 2 bay leaves, 4 sprigs of thyme, three cloves of garlic

5. 2 medium onions

6. A wide, flat sauce pan

7. 250 grams of blue cheese (your choice) and grated reggiano

8. 8 thick slices of emmenthal

9. A mandoline, food processor or sharp knife

Pre-heat oven to 375 F.

Peel the potatoes and place in cold water. Peel and chop the garlic finely. Peel the onions.

Dry the potatoes. Slice the potatoes and onion about 1/8th inch. Place the potatoes in the sauce pan. Barely cover with cream or milk. Add garlic and herbs and bring to gentle simmer for about 8 minutes.

With a slotted spoon, place a layer of potaoes in the bottom of the casserole

Add a layer of onion

Add the emmenthal

Add a layer of potatoes

Add the remaining onions and the blue cheese

Add the remaining potatoes

Add the reggiano

Add remaining cream liquid to a level half-way (1") up the side of the casserole

Bake covered for 25 minutes covered with aluminum foil; bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until the top has browned evenly.

Allow to rest for a minimum of 20 minutes before serving.

Serves about 12 to 15 people - generously.

The lamb recipe is available in chef Alain Raye's new cookbook, La Regalade. It's available at Barbara-jo's Books to Cooks. It would make a great Christmas gift, too.

Happy cooking,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Here's the burning question: is Maw your real name or a nom de plume? I've always assumed that the Maws were a family from the wilds of Wales.

That assumption being (almost) correct, do you feel that your surname influenced your path in life? (My mother's podiatrist's name is, no joke, Dr. Foote . ) I wonder if your path in life might have been different if you had been born with a moniker that referred to a different portion of your anatomy?

And I'd like to add my fulsome praise to that of others here. Your blog has made this Arctic week here in Chicago much, much more tolerable -- in fact, memorable. Thanks.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

cayenne,

I don't really have a recipe, but I'll try to recreate how I do it. These are great "pan-a-see-yuhs" as my mother calls them, i.e. make a few pans for over the holidays to serve with ham, lamb, beef, or even at brunch with eggs.

Cheesier Than Mariah Carey Scalloped Potatoes

Thank you so much! ps. I corrected my post, that was much too good of a name to have messed up, just perfect! :biggrin:

The lamb recipe is available in chef Alain Raye's new cookbook, La Regalade. It's available at Barbara-jo's Books to Cooks. It would make a great Christmas gift, too.

Happy cooking,

Jamie

Perfect! And, just what I was thinking too, because I saw Mary Trentadue, the owner of 32 Books in North Vancouver recommend it as one of her picks on Fanny Kiefer's Studio 4 show yesterday!

Thanks again. :smile:

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Here's the burning question: is Maw your real name or a nom de plume?  I've always assumed that the Maws were a family from the wilds of Wales.

That assumption being (almost) correct, do you feel that your surname influenced your path in life?  (My mother's podiatrist's name is, no joke, Dr. Foote . ) I wonder if your path in life might have been different if you had been born with a moniker that referred to a different portion of your anatomy?

And I'd like to add my fulsome praise to that of others here. Your blog  has made this Arctic week here in Chicago much, much more tolerable -- in fact, memorable. Thanks.

Hi Maggie,

So sorry to hear you're chilly. I have a deep affinity with your wonderful city and hope you warm up soon. And many thanks for your kind words. This has, of course, managed to be an exceptionally heavy year-end business week as well, but we've had a lot of fun reporting in.

Maw is in fact my real name. It was anglicized from the original French "de la Mare" after it was exported from Brittany to Cornwall in the fish trade long ago. St. Mawes-by-the-Sea is a well known place in Cornwall, but is the last known eveidence of any saints in our family.

Perhaps the latter supports the former though. As you may have noticed elsewhere, I'm a food writer (Maw) vitally interested in sustainability issues (de la Mare). There - your theory must be correct.

It is a very useful name in contemporary Vancouver, where 40% of our population is Asian. Like snagging a quality table at dim sum. But here's how I responded upthread to Abra . . .

QUOTE(Abra @ Dec 8 2005, 03:57 PM)

Woohoo, Jamie.  Off to an awesome start!  This blog is going to be a thrill, but I have a question.  You're not Chinese-Canadian???  The Maw had me faked out all this time.

Probably that doesn't count as a serious question.  Would you provide a link to some of your columns for those of us who haven't yet, uh, tasted your wares?  Do you manage somehow to be an incognito critic, with your picture plastered all over the Internet?

No, actually I'm Scottish-Canadian on my mother's side. My maternal great-grandfather, David Leckie, arrived here in Kelowna about a century ago. You'll be reading more about him in a minute.

But the name Maw is English and not at all unsuitable for a food writer. Had I been blessed with a son I would have no doubt called him Gaping. Or Yawning. In Chinese it means "stomach" or "fish bladder" (depending on who I ask) and you see it all the time on Chinese menus: "Fish Maw - $7.95". So my Chinese buddies call me Jimmy the Gut. Helpfully, the $7.95 accurately describes my net worth.

The homonymic Chinese spellings of my surname are typically Ma or Mah.

Or as I say to my Dutch friend when leaving the pub - "Look Hans, no Maw."

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Too often is fine service staff overlooked.

Spot on!

As for the Sommelier-Pianist Eva, I wouldn't be surprised if she can play Ravel's Gaspard de la nuit, while at the same time perform the duties of a wine steward at the Aureole Restaurant in Las Vegas.

Since you have definitely shown yourself as quite the traveller, please assess the restaurant dining scenes of the various major cities during your tenure. Yes, go ahead and mention the usual American suspects, if you wish, particularly the Los Angeles area where I reside. As for Vancouver, do you find that people from other cities look at you with dropped jaws and staring eyes when Vancouver is mentioned as a dining destination?

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Sado San has a gorgeous eye for presentation. And, dare I say, it's undoubtedly post-aruguloid in its inspiration and iconoclasm.

Personally, I adore arugula. I can't help it, and I'd eat it every day, if possible. So, my question is, can my normally sturdy self-image ever recover from the crushing blow dealt it by your leaf-withering dismissal of arugulites? Oh, the ignominy of being pre-post-Modern at such an early stage of life.

Too often is fine service staff overlooked.

Spot on!

As for the Sommelier-Pianist Eva, I wouldn't be surprised if she can play Ravel's Gaspard de la nuit, while at the same time perform the duties of a wine steward at the Aureole Restaurant in Las Vegas.

Since you have definitely shown yourself as quite the traveller, please assess the restaurant dining scenes of the various major cities during your tenure. Yes, go ahead and mention the usual American suspects, if you wish, particularly the Los Angeles area where I reside. As for Vancouver, do you find that people from other cities look at you with dropped jaws and staring eyes when Vancouver is mentioned as a dining destination?

First off, great question. Second, I've long thought it a zero-sum game to compare cities as dining destinations. They're all different, and we should delight in those differences. In the past generation, virtually all North American cities have seen vastly improved dining opportunities, especially those that have revisited the provenance of their farms, ranches and fisheries.

In short, with a little due diligence, it's now possible to eat well, if not always sustainably, in most North American cities.

So the only questions are for how long and with what diversity? Because I'm based in Vancouver, I start to get a little culinarily claustrophobic in certain European capitals now, where the imported cuisines are often second tier-faux and expensive.

That being said, there are many undersung cities globally that are - for one reason or another - extraordinary dining centres. Of course they're not undersung locally, or in their own countries, but they often are in the American national culinary media, which is largely concentrated in in two centres . So you can't really blame the American tourist for a lack of knowledge about this place.

So the "dropped jaws" of lack of recognition change pretty quickly to dropped jaws of astonsihment, of discovery - hopefully you and others will pick up on some of the reasons why this week. But the same is true of first-time culinary visitors to Melbourne, Sydney, Montreal and many other centres with strong food, wine and dining cultures.

One reason is the value in these cities, considerably less than New York, half the price of London. Other reasons include the strong sense of a regional cuisine, based on local ingredients; the factor of accessibility (reservations are hassle-free, the restaurant population is geographically tightly gouped, unlike say, in Los Angeles); and finally, the extraordinary diversity of cuisines.

So, while I'm not sure that Vancouver has replaced San Francisco as the dominant dining city on the west coast, I've certainly noticed one thing. We used to visit San Francisco and environs once or twice a year to dine ferociously. But now our friends from the Bay Area want to meet us here: in the Okanagan, at Whistler, on Vancouver Island, but especially in Vancouver. Of course their enthusiasm may wane as the American dollar contiues to lose value.

In general, the European culinary media are more aware of the culinary landscape here than American ones. As are the European media in general: The Economist recently rated Vancouver as the "No. 1 City to Live In" globally, and then a month later, rated it the "No. 1 city in which to do business."

But leading up to the Winter Olympics in 2010, we fully anticipate that the American food glossies will "discover" (read: dogpile) Vancouver (in the same way that Barcelona and Sydney were discovered) and the other areas that we have visited this week.

If I have performed any service for you at all this week, you can tell them that you were here first.

Cheers, and great chatting with you,

Jamie

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Sado San has a gorgeous eye for presentation.  And, dare I say, it's undoubtedly post-aruguloid in its inspiration and iconoclasm.

Personally, I adore arugula.  I can't help it, and I'd eat it every day, if possible.  So, my question is, can my normally sturdy self-image ever recover from the crushing blow dealt it by your leaf-withering dismissal of arugulites?  Oh, the ignominy of being pre-post-Modern at such an early stage of life.

Abra,

Please don't shoot the messenger. :biggrin: I too adore arugula, but as a responsible journalist I felt that I had to report the story accurately and dispassionately.

You see, it brings out the rocket in me. In this vein, have you applied 'the product' yet?

J.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

In general, the European culinary media are more aware of the culinary landscape here than American ones. As are the European media in general: The Economist recently rated Vancouver as the "No. 1 City to Live In" globally, and then a month later, rated it the "No. 1 city in which to do business."

The secret about the wonderfulness of Vancover, and BC in general, was definitely out among my whole crowd when I lived in Seattle. Various of us would make pilgrimages on a regular basis, for food and other fun (i.e. several of my friends would make special trips to load up at Lush before they finally opened a store in the Seattle area; and myself, I developed a deep love of the BC Museum in Victoria).

It's just one helluva lovely province. Anybody up there want to adopt me so I can become a Landed Immigrant? I'm lotsa fun, and I cook good (though I can't boast the girlish figure of your kitchen help, Mr. Maw). :biggrin:

The secret about the wonderfulness of Vancover, and BC in general, was definitely out among my whole crowd when I lived in Seattle. Various of us would make pilgrimages on a regular basis, for food and other fun (i.e. several of my friends would make special trips to load up at Lush before they finally opened a store in the Seattle area; and myself, I developed a deep love of the BC Museum in Victoria).

It's just one helluva lovely province. Anybody up there want to adopt me so I can become a Landed Immigrant? I'm lotsa fun, and I cook good (though I can't boast the girlish figure of your kitchen help, Mr. Maw). :biggrin:

Sounds positively ducky. Done deal.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

[...]That being said, there are many undersung cities globally that are - for one reason or another - extraordinary dining centres. Of course they're not undersung locally, or in their own countries, but they often are in the American national culinary media, which is largely concentrated in in two centres . So you can't really blame the American tourist for a lack of knowledge about this place.[...]

Thanks for linking to that great thread, which I'd forgotten about. But I'm a bit surprised to read that you consider San Francisco "the dominant dining city on the west coast" (which Vancouver may or may not have replaced). San Francisco is not that big a city compared to L.A. Did you mean to include everything within a 50- or 60-mile radius of the city by the bay?

Michael aka "Pan"

[...]That being said, there are many undersung cities globally that are - for one reason or another - extraordinary dining centres. Of course they're not undersung locally, or in their own countries, but they often are in the American national culinary media, which is largely concentrated in in two centres . So you can't really blame the American tourist for a lack of knowledge about this place.[...]

Thanks for linking to that great thread, which I'd forgotten about. But I'm a bit surprised to read that you consider San Francisco "the dominant dining city on the west coast" (which Vancouver may or may not have replaced). San Francisco is not that big a city compared to L.A. Did you mean to include everything within a 50- or 60-mile radius of the city by the bay?

Yes, the Bay Area. Although at one time, San Franciso proper had a relative wealth of restaurants concentrated in a small area. Of course if you have a personal chopper (and I'm not talking about the Ron Popeil version here), Los Angeles can be an interesting dining destination too. :biggrin: But I'll revisit my original point and say that all three areas enjoy a diversity of dining opportunities on various budgets, and we should celebrate that, even if we're calling our new Made-in-BC wine movie 'Forward'. :shock::biggrin:

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine