• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oronoco

Bill Poster

Oronoco is a highly distilled sugar cane juice spirit produced in Brazil to which is blended a small amount of aged Venezuelan rum giving the blend a slight vanilla flavor.

I would describe this rum as a clean, crisp rum with a vanilla overtone that lingers through the finish.

This is definitely not cachaca. And since it is blended with aged molasses-based rum, it has to be called rum in Brazil.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Oronoco I thought was quite nice, a good blend of a very filtered unaged cachaca and rum. I would describe the flavor as rich and sweet, very little acid and fairly smooth. They were next to my booth at Rumfest and they said they were quite pleased at how the blend turned out. They won a gold or platinum medal at the World Spirit Competition this year and they have a most impressive bottle as well, embossed leather wrap, custom glass, etc... (not that it matters much).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had a nice drink with this rum a couple of weeks ago. Muddled slices of yellow bell and jalapeno peppers, rum, simple syrup and lemon juice, topped with soda. Really refreshing. The heat and flavor of the peppers matched well with the rum.

I also tasted it neat and was impressed -- very smooth but interesting.