• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Apple Cider and Champagne

Pumpkin Lover

My sister and I are hopefully throwing a cocktail party in two weekends, and we've been tossing around ideas for an apple cider-champagne cocktail. We were inspired by an apple cider tea we had at the Wild Lily Tea Room. I'm wondering if this drink is as easy as just combining cider and sparkling wine, but do you all have any recommendations on how we could improve on this? Would steeping tea in the cider beforehand work flavor-wise with sparking wine? How about apple liqueurs/eau-de-vie?

Berentzen Apfelkorn and Champagne. A twist on an Apple Kir Royale.

Calvados and sparkling non-alcoholic apple cider like Martinelli's or Le Mousseux.

You could steep Apple-Cinnamon tea bags in good unpasteurized apple cider and then add that to Champagne for a more autumnal beverage.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

mbanu, what hard ciders would you recommend?

Katie, the Calvados/sparkling apple cider idea sounds great. Thank you both  :smile:

Pumpkin Lover:

I'd mix up a "test" cocktail or two first to see what proportions of Calvados you want to add to each drink. I'd start with one ounce of Calvados and fill with 4 oz. of cider. Taste. If it isn't "strong" enough for you then add a bit more to the next one. Also if it's too sweet put a squeeze of lemon juice or a splash of (unsweetened) cranberry juice in. If it's not sweet enough, then a splash of simple syrup or even a splash of 7-up. Play with it until it's to your taste and then write down your final recipe and make them all the same way.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol