• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Specialty Food in Portland

Curds & Whey is a new gourmet shop in Sellwood (SE Portland) that specializes in fine cheeses, meats, and other gourmet items such as wines, chocolates, etc.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Nuvrei, in the Pearl, founded by a Payard alum, is making some beautiful christmas logs for the season. http://www.nuvrei.com.

I haven't heard of them yet. Are they open for business? Their web site doesn't list an address but dexonline has the following:

Nuvrei Fine Cakes & Pastries

404 NW 10

Portland, OR 97209 - 3184

(503) 546-8430

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Yeah, they're open. As I understand it, the Pearl bakery is currently finishing construction, so they're still at their old location SE. So, right now, the solution is to call them up. I'm pretty sure they deliver.

I didn't know the website didn't have an address, sorry. It does have the phone number though: 503 314 0297.

This is perhaps too late for the original poster, but after reading about them in Friday's A&E, we stopped into Foster & Dobbs Authentic Foods (2518 NE 15th). They have wines, cheeses, olive oils, vinegars, pestos and other sauces, pickled vegetables, chocolates, and some very interesting looking dried italian pastas. We picked up (but have not tried yet) some very interesting spanish anchovies packed in oil. Interesting because these are not packaged in a tin or a jar, but rather in a cardboard container with plastic top and must be refrigerated. They look beautiful.

Prices are not low here, but the selection is different than I've seen around town.

Check out our Fooddoings and more at A View from Eastmoreland

• 3 weeks later...
I was just at the new Pix on N. Williams and spent way too much on gorgeous treats with great packaging. Nuts, Chocolates and their own version of Nutella.

I was one of the lucky recipients of Judy's Pix treats, and they're pretty fabulous. The packaging is AMAZING. Two chocolate-covered cherries were in a tiny box that was so gorgeous, it made a Tiffany box look dime-store. Matthew had a fabulous little box of chocolates with a sliding lid, and we also got some very delicious candies in the more usual cellophane bags and boxes (truffles, caramels, pates de fruits). My New Year's Eve treat from my stocking was a bag of Cocoa Nuts, mixed nuts that were candied/caramelized and then coated in cocoa powder.

If you need any impressive treats when Valentine's Day arrives, try Pix.

Hungry Monkey May 2009