• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Book on Butchering/Meats

Costs add up quickly in a kitchen when you buy pre cut pieces from the butcher. I do know how to recognise individual parts of the hooved creatures and our training only included 'trimming' them(rack of lambs, deboning shoulder/leg etc). Fish and fowl, I can dismantle with my eyes closed. I am looking for some kind of book that explains how to break down an entire animal. Slaughter techniques are not what I am looking for, but I suppose they'd be part of butchery? I found this upon googling. Anyone familiar with this one? Any other books out there?

The Meat Buyers Guide by the north american meat processors association takes you through:

skeletal chart

primal cuts

foodservice cuts

for beef, lamb, veal, and pork.

It is a pictoral illustration of the Institutional Meat Purchase Specifications and includes pictures of each cut. For beef, that's about 100 different items from the carcass of a cow.

While it doesn't show how and where to cut, it does tell you where one piece begins and where another ends. For example, "Item 103, beef rib primal. The primal rib is that portion of the forequarter remaining after excluding the cross-cut chuck and short plate and shall contain seven ribs (6th to 12th inclusive)... ...The loin end shall follow the natural curvature of the 12th rib..."

I noticed the link you provided is for amazon UK. If that's where you are located, you might want to find something local as the butchers from these two areas tend to cut meat differently from each other.

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

I think the NAMP book is great, as is Ubaldi's meat book, but I would love to hear about actual butchering books. The one mentioned by FaustianBargain sounds good. Are you in the UK, then? That might also make a difference in terms of what is applicable to you.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Good luck. There are good books on meat/charcuterie, but good books on butchering itself are scarce. (I don't know anything about the one FB linked to.) We don't have any in our library, and the librarian has been looking for some time. In fact, if anyone has a suggestion, I'd like to know too.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

There probably IS certification by a meat-cutters' union. Here in the U.S., such a union might be part of the Teamsters, who seem to have locals in many different parts of the grocery business. Certification might only be done through apprenticeship and practical examination. Whether or not there is a text available, though, I don't know. But that's the source I would look to here, and also in the U.K.

Edited to add: I'm also very interested in this, because such a book would be helpful to me in my work, if I am ever lucky enough to do another "translation." For now, the most I've found is only Frances Bissell's The Book of Food, which discusses American/English/French cuts. But to find a source with both descriptions AND pictures, now that would be great!

Edited by Suzanne F (log)

Costs add up quickly in a kitchen when you buy pre cut pieces from the butcher. I do know how to recognise individual parts of the hooved creatures and our training only included 'trimming' them(rack of lambs, deboning shoulder/leg etc). Fish and fowl, I can dismantle with my eyes closed. I am looking for some kind of book that explains how to break down an entire animal. Slaughter techniques are not what I am looking for, but I suppose they'd be part of butchery? I found this upon googling. Anyone familiar with this one? Any other books out there?

Are you trying to cut costs in a commercial kitchen or a home kitchen?

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

I asked my dad about this today. He grew up on a farm in Nebraska -- they had cattle, pigs and chickens.

He grew up butchering and cutting up whole animals. He said that while a book might be good, he learned far more by actually cutting up the cow. He did say that when he started out, there were books available showing the anatomy of these animals, but until you get your hands and knives in there, they are merely guides.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I asked my dad about this today.  He grew up on a farm in Nebraska -- they had cattle, pigs and chickens.

He grew up butchering and cutting up whole animals.  He said that while a book might be good, he learned far more by actually cutting up the cow.  He did say that when he started out, there were books available showing the anatomy of these animals, but until you get your hands and knives in there, they are merely guides.

Thanks for bringing this up. My sugestion would be to apprentice with a butcher for those who really want to learn the techniques. I grew up butchering whole animals. But as a professional chef it's not a skill that was ever necessary.

Dean of Culinary Arts

http://www.chipsbooks.com/meatbuy.htm This might not be definitive,but it might help a lot.

chef zadi said "Thanks for bringing this up. My sugestion would be to apprentice with a butcher for those who really want to learn the techniques I grew up butchering whole animals. But as a professional chef it's not a skill that was ever necessary."

Im seriously contemplating just this.There is a farm not far from my house that sells whole carcasses broken down for those with the freezer space,Could be a good experience for the 3-4 months till the restaurant opens again

Dave s

"Food is our common ground,a universal experience"

James Beard

http://www.chipsbooks.com/meatbuy.htm This might not be definitive,but it might help a lot.

chef zadi said "Thanks for bringing this up. My sugestion would be to apprentice with a butcher for those who really want to learn the techniques I grew up butchering whole animals. But as a professional chef it's not a skill that was ever necessary."

Im seriously contemplating just this.There is a farm not far from my house that sells whole carcasses broken down for those with the freezer space,Could be a good experience for the 3-4 months till the restaurant opens again

Dave s

Dave, my brother it's good to see you here. If you have the chance to apprentice with a butcher by all means do it. A great chef/cook has a firm grasp of the artistry and bloodiness of food.

Dean of Culinary Arts

i am thinking of a commerical kitchen.

Edited by FaustianBargain (log)

I asked my dad about this today.  He grew up on a farm in Nebraska -- they had cattle, pigs and chickens.

He grew up butchering and cutting up whole animals.  He said that while a book might be good, he learned far more by actually cutting up the cow.  He did say that when he started out, there were books available showing the anatomy of these animals, but until you get your hands and knives in there, they are merely guides.

snowangel, i completely agree with your dad. but when you dont have a large supply of your own livestock to test your skills, books can reduce costly mistakes and the time it takes to get it right. they are only a guide, but i like to think of them as very useful guides. i also feel that watching someone do it expertly will help. whole sides of animals can be expensive to try one's learning skills.

teaching aids made of artificial material can help too...like in medical anatomy classes..but even then the blood and gore aspect will be missing...but it can be useful.

i am thinking of a commerical kitchen.

I figured it was for a commercial kitchen, but I wanted a confirmation before I put in my tuppence.

First of all, it's a good thing that you are already thinking about costs. As I mentioned butchering was not a skill that I ever used as a cook/chef but my knowledge of cuts did come in handy when I was working in South Korea. I had to explain to the local butcher how to do French cuts. I've also worked in France, The U.K and the States. You never know where your career trajectory will take you.

I don't think that butchering your own meat is an efficient way of cutting costs in a commercial kitchen. It takes up too much precious kitchen and storage space. Even if you just get a portion of the carcass it's still a very labor and time intensive process. Even if you are lucky enough to have a huge commercial kitchen with ample cold storage, in all likelyhood you will have parts of the animal that sell out quickly and other parts that no one ever wants. There are also possible health code issues that need to be considered.

There are other ways to lower costs and raise profit margins. Which I would be more than happy to explain in further detail if anyone is interested.

Dean of Culinary Arts

When we did a dinner party, we got a price list from the school's meat suppliers(Allan's of Mayfair, iirc..hmm..or maybe it was someone else). There was way too much cash to be lost. Also, when you get a side of animal, you get all the other 'non premium'/less tender bits/bones attached. They can be used for other dishes. I simply cannot accept that buying piece rate from the butcher while running a restaurant can be even 'sorta/kinda' preferable. Also, I am not willing to wait around, peer from behind someone and watch to learn. Being knowledgeable and having practical experience is a marketable skill, as far *I* am concerned. If there were some sort of butchery certification course, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

I am always interested in knowing about ways to lower costs and raise profit margins. Please do tell.

When we did a dinner party, we got a price list from the school's meat suppliers(Allan's of Mayfair, iirc..hmm..or maybe it was someone else). There was way too much cash to be lost. Also, when you get a side of animal, you get all the other 'non premium'/less tender bits/bones attached. They can be used for other dishes. I simply cannot accept that buying piece rate from the butcher while running a restaurant can be even 'sorta/kinda' preferable. Also, I am not willing to wait around, peer from behind someone and watch to learn. Being knowledgeable and having practical experience is a marketable skill, as far *I* am concerned. If there were some sort of butchery certification course, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

I am always interested in knowing about ways to lower costs and raise profit margins. Please do tell.

Before I answer I should ask you what type of restaurant you are interested in working in or opening. Fine dining? Casual? What type of cuisine?

Also most people consider being knowledgeable and having pratical experience to be marketable.

Dean of Culinary Arts

Before I answer I should ask you what type of restaurant you are interested in working in or opening. Fine dining? Casual? What type of cuisine?

i am looking for general principles of cutting costs and raising profit margins.

edited to add: if it is not about butchery, then I think we should take it up a fresh topic elsewhere?

Edited by FaustianBargain (log)

Books, feh.

What are the best butchery websites?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

i am looking for general principles of cutting costs and raising profit margins.

edited to add: if it is not about butchery, then I think we should take it up a fresh topic elsewhere?

You should learn the general principles in school. Without a specific type of restaurant in mind my answers would be too broad. hence redundent.

As for butchery. In closing I'd like to mention

Carcass pluss the cost of in house labor and storage equals the finished cost of product.

Dean of Culinary Arts

Butchery books are hard to find. Good ones are even harder - we despair of finding worthwhile ones - we'd love to hear of any good ones.

The Larousse Gastronomique 4th Ed has good diagrams for French, US & UK cuts - look under beef, veal, lamb etc

The Mettler book is a US publication (the author is ex US Army) - aimed at the basic home butcher/hunter - its ok for breaking down a carcass but doesn't have detailed diagrams etc

The best butchery instructions we've seen recently are in Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's books - River Cottage Cookbook (amazing detail on what to do on slaughter day etc) and The River Cottage Meat Cookbook

The Time Life Good Cook Vols: Beef & Veal; Lamb; Offal; Pork; Poultry all have good diagrams & basic trimming instructions with good photos.

Doesn't the CIA do a butchery video (probably expensive)?

There is an Australian Home Butchery book again fairly basic - aimed at the small farm butcher. Also our trade schools do videos (PAL - not dvds or NTSC) which teach basic british & european butchery

"The purpose of a cookery book is one & unmistakable. Its object can conceivably be no other than to increase the happiness of mankind - Joseph Conrad"

www.booksforcooks.com.au

new & old books about wine, food & the culinary arts bought & sold

The best butchery instructions we've seen recently are in Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's books - River Cottage Cookbook (amazing detail on what to do on slaughter day etc) and The River Cottage Meat Cookbook

Thanks. I will look it up at the bookstore tomorrow.

The Time Life Good Cook Vols: Beef & Veal; Lamb; Offal; Pork; Poultry all have good diagrams & basic trimming instructions with good photos.

The old 70s Time Life series? They are wonderful! Quaint, but wonderful and *very* useful.

• 10 months later...

Basic book is "Cutting up in the Kitchen", Merle Ellis. Out of print but available. Less than $10 usually.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321