• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

best value STEAK..?

nene

Aurora Bistro

Grilled Beef Flat Iron Steak - dungeness crab pomme dauphin with earl grey demi glace

$25 and Very Good.

Check out

http://www.pacificrimgrille.com/dinnerentree.htm-

7 oz (AAA) flat iron goes for $18 whereas AAA New York 8 oz sells at an unbeliveable $19.95.

If you live in Vancouver it's a ride to Coquitlam, but saving $7 per steak might be worth the trouble.

Suave

thanks!

but ya coquitlam is a little far.. but i'll definitely try it out when i go there! it looks very interesting o.O

I'm willing to bet that the soon to open Saltlik on Alberni will fill that niche.

Saltlik is supposed to be opened on dec 9 isnt it?

Has anyone tried it yet?

Hows the food? & is it expensive?

Yeah, Coquitlam, it is far :hmmm: . Not being sarcastic. While cooking at Bacchus it took me an hour each way to commute (sometimes longer) :wacko: . Moreover I find great displeasure to drive somewhere, dine and drive back. Speaking to that, local clientele is happy NOT to have to drive to Vancouver in order to get a decent steak and a glass of wine, in addition they do not have to pay for high rent on Hamilton Street :biggrin:

Cheers!

Suave

A little off topic but I looked at a property to open a second HSG on the Langley Bypass, so I could serve great steak to more people ( an weak attempt to bring it back on topic )

Anyhoo, the rent out there was double what I was paying in Yaletown. I was astounded. We looked at a few other properties and they were all in the ballpark.

When I asked one of the realtors, he replied

" This is the LANGLEY BYPASS !! "

" I said, yeah, I know, the langley bypass, big deal ! "

Another hope and dream of bring steak to the masses dashed.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

So if the first one on Hamilton st is the Hamilton Street Grill, the second might be the Langley Bypass Grill?

A little off topic but I looked at a property to open a second HSG on the Langley Bypass, so I could serve great steak to more people ( an weak attempt to bring it back on topic )

Anyhoo, the rent out there was double what I was paying in Yaletown. I was astounded. We looked at a few other properties and they were all in the ballpark.

When I asked one of the realtors, he replied

" This is the LANGLEY BYPASS !! "

" I said, yeah, I know, the langley bypass, big deal ! "

Ok so since this is a steak thread. Where on earth do I find a Skirt or (gasp) Hanger steak in town? I'd love to try to make something with this cut of beef it is so tastey!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Hanger you won't find. Except from our local pusher-man....believe me, I've tried. Skirt is easy as long as you have a good butcher. Everyone knows that my favorite is Windsor on Main Street and 25th. Those boys will order in anything you want (except hanger...dammit!) and they even have sides dry aging in the walk-in.

Hanger you won't find.  Except from our local pusher-man....believe me, I've tried.  Skirt is easy as long as you have a good butcher.  Everyone knows that my favorite is Windsor on Main Street and 25th.  Those boys will order in anything you want (except hanger...dammit!) and they even have sides dry aging in the walk-in.

Thanks Peppyre! I will definately try Winsor. I hope I can catch them before they close during the week. Did you say they have stuff dry aging? Oooh :blink: you're making me drool! I was about to make a modification to the fridge so I could hang steaks.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Chilliwack...think Chilliwack...come to Chilliwack...get it set up...I will check on it nightly for you...we only have four decent restaurants, and one of those is a breakfast place...we need you more than Langley does.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

• 3 months later...

There's nothing like heading over to the HSG on a Saturday night after drinking 13 beers and a lot of rye with my buddy and hitting Neil's ridiculously great valued 20oz New York - only bad part is that after all that beautiful meat is that I couldn't really handle anymore beer at George Lounge and looked like a Nancy Pants sipping G&T's.

There's nothing like heading over to the HSG on a Saturday night after drinking 13 beers and a lot of rye with my buddy and hitting Neil's ridiculously great valued 20oz New York - only bad part is that after all that beautiful meat is that I couldn't really handle anymore beer at George Lounge and looked like a Nancy Pants sipping G&T's.

Agreed. 20 ounces of Striploin at HSG is a great deal. Doesnt leave much room for ginger bread pudding however. :sad: