• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frivolous use of expensive ingredients

Mallet

Where I work, we had a small jar - 30 g - of Ossetra caviar that had just gone out of date. It retails at about $350. I was invited to partake. We got some fresh rye bread from the bakery and stood around the jar with spoons: dropping great globs of caviar on the bread. It was surreal and wonderfully decadent!

When I was in the restaurant business in Mexico a client ordered something called "jugo de carne." My chef took a filet, poached it, chopped it, put it in cheese cloth and squeezed the juice out into a glass. That's jugo the carne. We billed for a filet. After that we kept meat scrapes in the freezer for another order of - you know what.

Other wasteful practice - client ordered Martell V.S.O.P. in a highball glass of Coke®. I never got it - Mexican brandy would do just fine for me.

Edited by Jmahl (log)

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.