• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

local source of good fruitcake?

mrbigjas

ok let's pause for a moment for the standard jokes about fruitcake.

ok thanks. now, can i get one in philadelphia? a good old fashioned one, heavy, dark, full of mysterious dried fruits, not too sweet, and all liquored up?

Edited by mrbigjas (log)

They aren't "local", the cakes are light, but TONS of fruit. The best I've had in a long time! BYOB. :laugh:

http://www.collinstreet.com/pages/deluxe_f...CFRcdSwodfSnZow

Also, if you have a Jamacian neighborhood close to you, you'll like the Black Bun cakes they sell pretty well. Again, BYOB.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Also not local, but the monks at Monastery Fruitcakes make a really good fruitcake (oxymoron?). Heavy, dark, moist, with liquor and fruit. I've eaten it many times. I don't recommend the chocolate covered fruitcake slices. Very dry to me. Never had the honey.

Thanks,

Kevin

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Heh. My mom (who lives in Philly) makes them every year and they were amazing before my dad rediscovered his muslimness and doesn't eat rum-soaked stuff. She tries to soak it with grape juice instead which obviously doesn't work at all. I don't get it since dad doesn't mind if other people consume liquor in his presence or anything. Anyway, I make her send mine early so I can douse it myself. Well, I guess all this is of absolutely no use to you, but if you'd go over there and talk to her I sure would appreciate it. She might be willing to give you one.

Maybe five or six years ago I bought my staff fruit cakes from the Chef's Market on South Street. Nobody quit or filed a labor grievance or anything, so I guess they went over ok. Actually they were excellent. Don't know if they're still doing them or if the quality is the same now.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

If you're maybe interested in Stollen (a relative of the fruitcake genus for which I also do not care), the bakery attached to Blue Ox Brauhaus makes them at Christmastime. The baker is a young woman who apprenticed in a Konditorei in Stuttgart. My late (German) wife always bought them up by the armful and professed that they surpassed the Ur-Stollen in der Heimat.