• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vietnamese Tofu Hoagie

ludja

A recent review: click

Tina takes a pair of tongs and lifts strips of the tofu from a lidded metal tub. It is firm tofu, still warm. Minutes earlier, it was delivered from the kitchens of the Vietnam Restaurant in Chinatown, which the Lai family also owns. Benny Lai, who runs the restaurant, tells me he gets the tofu from a local tofu factory, deep-fries it, and simmers it in vegetable stock, sugar, garlic powder, fresh lemongrass and soy: It is dark by this point, its surface beefy-looking.

….

Tina slices a soft hoagie roll, stuffs in the firm tofu strips and crisps it in the toaster oven - just as they do at the Vietnamese hoagie joints on South Eighth Street. There's a long hoagie menu here. But one after another, locals order their tofus. Patty Gilson, a cook at the White Dog Cafe, explains: "They're cheap - just $3 - and full of spicy goodness."

But the real surprise is how full of juicy lemongrass-soy flavor the tofu is. The texture reminds you of an Italian pepper-and-egg sandwich. Tina pries open the roll and lays in strands of crunchy pickled daikon (a long Asian radish) and carrot. Then sprigs of cilantro, a squirt of Sriracha chile sauce and, if you want it "with," slices of hot jalapeno. No pate. No mayo. This is vegan fare.

Fu-Wah Mini Market

810 S. 47th St.

215-729-2993

These sound great; a potentially excellent example of new creations made by blending new and local traditions.

Has anyone tried these yet?

I get to Philly sporadically but may need to try making something like this at home beforehand.

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Is this really blending new and local traditions, or are they just making a Vietnamese hoagie on an Italian roll because their customers have come around to Vietnamese fare instead of just traditional hoagies? Just curious...don't know the place in West Philly.

(FWIW, my favorite veggie hoagie in South Philly is at Cafe Nyuh Y at 8th and Christian.)

Is this really blending new and local traditions, or are they just making a Vietnamese hoagie on an Italian roll because their customers have come around to Vietnamese fare instead of just traditional hoagies? Just curious...don't know the place in West Philly.

(FWIW, my favorite veggie hoagie in South Philly is at Cafe Nyuh Y at 8th and Christian.)

Can you describe your favorite veggie hoagie? Does it also use marinated tofu strips or something else for the filling?

I guess the reason I thought of it as a blend of Philly and Bahn Mi traditions is that I don't think I've seen something like this out here in Banh Mi places--i.e. the use of marinated tofu strips (which I interpreted as a 'sub' for cheesesteak strips), and toasted hoagie rolls. Also, while Banh Mi are popular out here, there isn't an indigenous hoagie tradition like there is in Philadelphia so perhaps I romatically imagined that there might be a bit of blending or that the local populace might take to it in a different way b/c of the earlier traditions. But yeah, besides the toasted hoagie roll at the reviewed restaurant, I suppose there isn't much difference from other Banh Mi.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

It's fitting. There is room for a toFU steak in philly. Oh but a little slice shrimp on that or some chicken or beef satay.. .now we takin!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Curious. All the veggie bahn mi I've had use tofu. About half toast the rolls.

I probably haven't paid enough attention to the veggie options out here; I'll keep an eye out next time. I've not had toasted rolls out here though...

We need someone in the Philadelphia area to visit there and snap some photos for us...