• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

US/FR Gastronomic Cultural Differences

John Talbott

I'm not sure where to ask these questions, but during my search this seemed to be the best fit...

How does one eat Pâté de Campagne?  Do you cut off a bit and smear it on some bread?  Or do you cut it in chunks, as with a piece of meat?

Both
If you are provided with mustard, what do you do with it?
Schmear baby schmear!
If you are eating the pâté as a chunk of meat, do you dip it in the mustard?
Oh magawd
  If you smear it on some bread, do put mustard on the bread first?
Only if the mustard is really aoili.
And how about Mille-feuille?  I was taught to stick a fork in it, use a spoon to slice a piece off, then use the fork to push the piece onto my spoon and eat.  I've yet to successfully slice off a piece without squooshing all the filling out using this method, however, so I'm looking for an alternative.  Can I tip my Mille-feuille over onto its side and then do the stick/slice/push method?

Now that stumps me. More puzzlers please, prasantrin, this could be the topic that launched a thousand disputes.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I'm not sure where to ask these questions, but during my search this seemed to be the best fit...

How does one eat Pâté de Campagne?  Do you cut off a bit and smear it on some bread?  Or do you cut it in chunks, as with a piece of meat?

Both
If you are provided with mustard, what do you do with it?
Schmear baby schmear!
If you are eating the pâté as a chunk of meat, do you dip it in the mustard?
Oh magawd
  If you smear it on some bread, do put mustard on the bread first?
Only if the mustard is really aoili.

OK, so I can put it on my bread, but if I use the mustard, I should put it on the pâté not on the bread.

I was just wondering because last weekend, I had lunch at a little bistro in Kyoto. They only had one set lunch which included Pâté de Campagne. I was the only one eating it with my bread, while all the other customers (Japanese) were cutting it in chunks and dipping it in their mustard. I thought I was doing something wrong because the one French customer was looking at me funny. Or maybe he was just eyeing my table because he had to wait a long time for one.

And how about Mille-feuille?  I was taught to stick a fork in it, use a spoon to slice a piece off, then use the fork to push the piece onto my spoon and eat.  I've yet to successfully slice off a piece without squooshing all the filling out using this method, however, so I'm looking for an alternative.  Can I tip my Mille-feuille over onto its side and then do the stick/slice/push method?

Now that stumps me. More puzzlers please, prasantrin, this could be the topic that launched a thousand disputes.

I do my best to remain controversial. :biggrin:

I was just wondering because last weekend, I had lunch at a little bistro in Kyoto.  They only had one set lunch which included Pâté de Campagne.  I was the only one eating it with my bread, while all the other customers (Japanese) were cutting it in chunks and dipping it in their mustard.  I thought I was doing something wrong because the one French customer was looking at me funny.  Or maybe he was just eyeing my table because he had to wait a long time for one.

I have a different interpretation. You were the only one doing it right and he was dazzled to have found a kindred spirit.

The well-educated way of eating pâté de campagne, anyway, is cutting a small chunk of it and placing it on a small piece of bread. Top with a slice of cornichon of a small dab of mustard. Eat. Repeat. If pâté de campagne is of the soft kind, same method applies, with a bit more smearing involved.

Mille-feuille has a way of breaking into pieces (large, light pieces or smaller crumbs) as soon as you stick your fork or anything else in it. Usually the filling, deprived of its flimsy support, goes every possible way it can. There is only one way to proceed from that point on, IMO, and it is gathering a portion of both crumbs and filling on your spoon or fork and eat it as it is. It is normal for a millefeuille to become a mess once a ustensil held by a human hand goes near it.

If the millefeuille breaks into more regular-sized pieces, that is not good news. The best millefeuilles are messy.

As for eating pâté/terrine, I'd say do as you like... but yes, you'll probably stand out if you dip it in mustard! Not that you shouldn't if you want to, but I've never seen anyone do that. For what it's worth, I usually eat this directly on bread, but sometimes as meat if it's really good and not too fat-heavy.

Regarding the mille-feuilles question: I think the best option is to use a dented knife and a fork. This way, you can "saw" it. Do it very gently or else, the cream will go straight to the opposite side and you'll end with cutting just a few puff pastry crumbs.

Eating it with your hands is another option, but maybe not in a restaurant. I love doing this at home, really, and it's almost as technical as eating it with a fork & a knife!

That said, I'm probably not a good benchmark when it comes to dining etiquette!

I have a different interpretation. You were the only one doing it right and he was dazzled to have found a kindred spirit.

The well-educated way of eating pâté de campagne, anyway, is cutting a small chunk of it and placing it on a small piece of bread. Top with a slice of cornichon of a small dab of mustard. Eat. Repeat. If pâté de campagne is of the soft kind, same method applies, with a bit more smearing involved.

Awww! I'd have liked to have thought that first, but given it was me, it was more likely I was doing something wrong! :biggrin:

Good to know I was almost right in my eating-style, so I guess I'm not quite well-educated, but at least not uneducated! I did put my mustard on the bread rather than on the pâté, and I ate the one teeny tiny cornichon in one bite, but I also tore my bread into bite-sized pieces and spread some pâté on each piece. It was lovely. I wish I had bought some to take home with me!

I also had little cups of pickled shredded carrots and some ratatouille-like vegetable dish which I ate as is. Would it to have been terribly gauche to put a bit of those on my pâté, too?

Mille-feuille has a way of breaking into pieces (large, light pieces or smaller crumbs) as soon as you stick your fork or anything else in it. Usually the filling, deprived of its flimsy support, goes every possible way it can. There is only one way to proceed from that point on, IMO, and it is gathering a portion of both crumbs and filling on your spoon or fork and eat it as it is. It is normal for a millefeuille to become a mess once a ustensil held by a human hand goes near it.

If the millefeuille breaks into more regular-sized pieces, that is not good news. The best millefeuilles are messy.

So in the case of Mille-feuille, it's OK to be messy. Growing up I was never allowed to be a messy eater, so it almost goes against my public nature to let it get so messy (though messiness seems to be unavoidable!).

Like olivier, though, when at home alone, I like to eat millefeuille out of hand so it smooshes all over the place and I can lick my fingers after. It's sort of my attempt at almost-middle-aged rebellion.

Like olivier, though, when at home alone, I like to eat millefeuille out of hand so it smooshes all over the place and I can lick my fingers after.  It's sort of my attempt at almost-middle-aged rebellion.

If you have a bathtub, it is a good place to eat a millefeuille out of hand, or a ripe mango.