• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Sandwich in Seattle

This weekend I found myself pulling barn duty and so it called for a lovely lunch out. So I brushed the hay & dirt off my jeans and headed for Porcella.

Had a baguette sandwich that had proscuitto, lardons, friseé, truffled aioli and a fried egg. This sammy was Yummy with a capital Y!

Born Free, Now Expensive

salumi here I come! thanks for the heads up Ling.

This is certainly among my faves here in seattle.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

• 4 months later...

I noticed that this place, Jimmy John's opened in the U-District (41st & the Ave), and was wondering if anyone has ate there or had food delivered. I think there is also one in Redmond.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

I've been to the Bellevue one once. Their analog to a baguette was sort of like a mildly chewy Wonderbread, without any character.

I can say fairly that in the four months since going there I never felt an urge to return.

I think the U-District location started around the same time, and was reviewed without particular hostility.

It reminds me of Rudy's Barbershop in that it attempts to make up for its chain-style ordinariness with a big-attitude shtick.

I noticed that this place, Jimmy John's opened in the U-District (41st & the Ave), and was wondering if anyone has ate there or had food delivered.  I think there is also one in Redmond.

Edited by JasonTrue (log)

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

I've been to the Bellevue one once. Their analog to a baguette was sort of like a mildly chewy Wonderbread, without any character.

I can say fairly that in the four months since going there I never felt an urge to return.

I think the U-District location started around the same time, and was reviewed without particular hostility.

It reminds me of Rudy's Barbershop in that it attempts to make up for its chain-style ordinariness with a big-attitude shtick.

I agree, I found them to be extremely ordinary.

PS: I am a guy.

Since I left L.A. 25 years ago, there's very few things I miss. But, I get periodic cravings for L. A. style pastrami dips (Johnnie's in Culver City & Johnny' on Adams). Well marbled pastrami is steamed and piled in a french roll thats been dipped in fatty au jus. Barnie's in Everett makes a reasonable version that gives a fix to my need. Costco started carrying Carnegie Pastrami - not too bad, well fatted but very gristly.

Since I left L.A. 25 years ago, there's very few things I miss.  But, I get periodic cravings for L. A. style pastrami dips (Johnnie's in Culver City & Johnny' on Adams).  Well marbled pastrami is steamed and piled in a french roll thats been dipped in fatty au jus.  Barnie's in Everett makes a reasonable version that gives a fix to my need. Costco started carrying Carnegie Pastrami - not too bad, well fatted but very gristly.

What! No Langer's?

Since I left L.A. 25 years ago, there's very few things I miss.  But, I get periodic cravings for L. A. style pastrami dips (Johnnie's in Culver City & Johnny' on Adams).  Well marbled pastrami is steamed and piled in a french roll thats been dipped in fatty au jus.  Barnie's in Everett makes a reasonable version that gives a fix to my need. Costco started carrying Carnegie Pastrami - not too bad, well fatted but very gristly.

What! No Langer's?

Doesn't Langer's serve New York style - lean pastrami on rye slices?

What! No Langer's?

Doesn't Langer's serve New York style - lean pastrami on rye slices?

Ahh Yes! You are correct.

the ga bahn mi at Saigon Deli (12th & Jackson) has become an addiction for me........

Which Saigon Deli do you go to? Is it the one on 12th or the one around the corner and halfway down the block on Jackson? Have you compared them? They seem to have different offerings at different prices. Have you tried Seattle Deli across the street on 12th? I have heard people say that they have the best bahn mi in town, but i haven't tried them yet.

the ga bahn mi at Saigon Deli (12th & Jackson) has become an addiction for me........

Which Saigon Deli do you go to? Is it the one on 12th or the one around the corner and halfway down the block on Jackson? Have you compared them? They seem to have different offerings at different prices. Have you tried Seattle Deli across the street on 12th? I have heard people say that they have the best bahn mi in town, but i haven't tried them yet.

I really like getting bahn mi at Green Papaya on Pine Street.

Hey, I noticed they were offering bahn mi a while back! I like their food but we always forget to go there. Can you talk about this some more? What do they offer? How much are they? I think it would take a lot to convince me to go there for a sandwich rather than wander a couple of blocks further down to Baguette Box...

Speaking of Baguette Box, does anyone else remember the pork confit sandwich they had for a very short time? I daydream about that sandwich.

--Ben

Edited by brandtbl (log)

Hey, I noticed they were offering bahn mi a while back! I like their food but we always forget to go there. Can you talk about this some more? What do they offer? How much are they? I think it would take a lot to convince me to go there for a sandwich rather than wander a couple of blocks further down to Baguette Box...

Speaking of Baguette Box, does anyone else remember the pork confit sandwich they had for a very short time? I daydream about that sandwich.

--Ben

Also on Baguette Box, any word on the opening in Fremont?

--Ben

Also on Baguette Box, any word on the opening in Fremont?

In response to the bahn mi at Green Papaya: I've tried all of the vegetarian options several times and they're delicious and mysteriously meaty, in a terribly good way! Nothing they have on their menu of the 14 different bahn mi is over $3.95 and the bread - crusty - heavenly!

their menu is online: www.papayaonpine.com

Edited by FeedMaria (log)

right in the shopping center on the corner of 12th and Jackson, I haven't been to Seattle Deli yet... my friends have said it isn't as good. only way to find out for sure may be a side by side, right on!!! I have been to Saigon Deli a few more times recently and honestly find their chicken bahn mi to be addictive. is the correct way to say it ga bahn mi or bahn mi ga????

• 2 years later...

This thread is a bit dated, but might as well wake her up!

I just had the best Reuben ever at the Essential Baking Co.

It was sammich perfection!

Essential Cafe Wallingford (The Essential Bakery Cafe)

1604 North 34th St

Seattle, WA 98103

Fooey's Flickr Food Fotography

Brünnhilde, so help me, if you don't get out of the oven and empty the dishwasher, you won't be allowed anywhere near the table when we're flambeéing the Cherries Jubilee.

• 4 weeks later...