• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Sandwich in Seattle

Isn't Peso's a Mexican restaurant?  Why would they even have a Monte Cristo on the menu?  It seems to me that ordering it would only invite problems, like ordering a hamburger at a Chinese restaurant.  I agree though, the owner was completely in the wrong. 

Still, the tone of that blog totally bums me out....

Except there aren't that many places that make Monte Christo's, so if it's on the menu you would hope it's something special.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Isn't Peso's a Mexican restaurant?  Why would they even have a Monte Cristo on the menu?  It seems to me that ordering it would only invite problems, like ordering a hamburger at a Chinese restaurant.  I agree though, the owner was completely in the wrong. 

Pesos serves brunch........

Sandwiches are in my triumverate of perfect food (with sushi and soup) and this is a great list!

Salumi, Paseo, Matt's in the Market... I also like that Rueben at Persimmon

I also wanted to add Tubs Gourmet Subs, kind of a blue-collar place on Lake City Way. Not everything is great, so since we're hand-picking the sandwiches, I suggest the Cajun (and get it with hot bbq sauce on the side for dipping). This place doesn't do anything fancy, just a nicely put-together sandwich, perfect for the football fan/construction worker in all of us.

Heh. They've had more bad dining experiences in the last six months than I have in the last six years.

Read "The Live List" for the happy experiences. Neither are in one voice - it looks like they post what is sent in.

The thread is getting long forgive me if I repeat, but my favorite is the lamb burger at Vios. at 6ish bucks it seems a best buy for a restaurant sandwich. Although that hybrid counter service with waiters at lunch leaves me confused. I don't know whether to appreciate counter service with a little extra or to go short on a tip and leave ruffled since everything wasn't done for me. I'll get over it.

Call me old fashioned, too, but I'm a regular for Bakeman's turkey. The bread is nothing special, but they bake the turkeys fresh every day and hand carve them. Generous portion, cheap prices.

Friends say the meatloaf is good, too, but it's not my thing.

Call me old fashioned, too, but I'm a regular for Bakeman's turkey. The bread is nothing special, but they bake the turkeys fresh every day and hand carve them. Generous portion, cheap prices.

Friends say the meatloaf is good, too, but it's not my thing.

Wow! I can't believe I forgot to include this Seattle classic. Good catch!

I had a pork loin sandwich yesterday at Roy's BBQ (recently reviewed by Mamster in the Seattle Times) and it was fantastic! Think medium-thin slices of smoked pork loin, layered with carmelized onions, lettuce and a creamy mayo sauce. This place definitely makes my top five. They have a smoked oyster po'boy that I hear is very tasty, and smoked fish tacos, too.

• 2 months later...

I have a new addition to my favorites list! Yesterday I was fortunate to enjoy a BLT at Geraldine's Counter. This was my first experience of them as a lunch place. Yum! It really is hard to beat Columbia City Bakery bread and in this instance it was perfectly grilled.

My friend order the grilled 3 cheese and tomatoe soup (one of my all time comfort food combos). The soup was good, but the sandwich was a bit over the top with the cheese - a sandwich with half the cheese would have still be plentiful.

cburnsi

My friend order the grilled 3 cheese and tomatoe soup (one of my all time comfort food combos).  The soup was good, but the sandwich was a bit over the top with the cheese - a sandwich with half the cheese would have still be plentiful.

cburnsi

Excessive amounts of cheese on a grilled cheese sandwich is a bad thing?!! :raz:

What sort of cheese is used, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

My friend order the grilled 3 cheese and tomatoe soup (one of my all time comfort food combos).  The soup was good, but the sandwich was a bit over the top with the cheese - a sandwich with half the cheese would have still be plentiful.

cburnsi

Excessive amounts of cheese on a grilled cheese sandwich is a bad thing?!! :raz:

What sort of cheese is used, if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

Well, I am all for a cheese sandwich and this over the top example couldn't be contained within the borders of the oh so excellent Columiba City Sour Batard bread - grillled in butter :smile: . I believe the goey combo was gruyere, cheddar and havarti.

They have a - <A HREF="http:/www.geraldinescounter.com/menu.htm"> Geladine's Counter website</A>

cburnsi

I had a pork cheek sandwich from Salumi today. Its the special this week. This is what it looks like:

gallery_35727_2396_29194.jpg

Damn! Its good!

I went to Salumi today and was upset to see that this was on the specials board... for next week. I guess it means I'll be going back. Of course, I wasn't dissapointed - I had the prosciutto with fig and goat cheese, and it was insanely good. If I'd been standing up while eating it, I think I would've needed to sit down. My friend got the meatball which was equally delicious, totally different from any other meatball sandwich I'd had before, in a very good way.

After enjoying several types of variations of Burgers at "Ballard Brothers Burgers and Seafood", located at the corner of 73rd & 15 NW in Ballard in the bright red building. It has been very consistent and much better then any other similar place in Seattle.

We generally order:

"Cajun Blackened Salmon" a Blackened Salmon Filet served on a bun with Cajun sauce, tarter sauce and grilled onions. $6.50

"Onion Burger" cooked medium rare with red relish and a mound of grilled onions. $5.50

These are all served with "French Fries" (just okay) the sides of Onion Rings plus Fish & Chips Dishes, Salads and other options are delivered free in the Ballard Area. (206) 784-4440.

Their prices include tax and are quite reasonable considering the served portions. They have been in business over 17 years but I only began going during the last few months. Having tried most of the Burger Clubs places I feel that they do a much better job quality wise then the majority.

Irwin

Edited by wesza (log)

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Omigosh! The pork cheek sandwich is at Salumi next week? It just so happens that I'll be in town!  :biggrin:

Slow down girl, you're gonna bust your gut! (Well, maybe I missed the time you told us all that you run marathons frequently...)

• 3 weeks later...

I've had religious experiences from the porchetta at Salumi. I'm aklso a big fan of the Nw Yorker at Tat's. Like any proper east coast deli sandwich thew bread is more decorative than practical. Yum!

Bacon starts its life inside a piglet-shaped cocoon, in which it receives all the nutrients it needs to grow healthy and tasty.

-baconwhores.com

Bacon, the Food of Joy....

-Sarah Vowell

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...