• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Sandwich in Seattle

I love the Rueban at Buckley's on lower Queen Anne. It is divine. 74th Street Ale House does have a good one but I have to say Buckley's is better. And I order Rueban sandwiches at almost any and every place I go that has one. Buckley's is darn good at that sandwich.

While not in Seattle but rather on the east side I am a fan of Sarducci's in Kirkland. They have great Italian Sub-type sandwiches and everytime I am over on the eastside I pick one up. Even if I am not hungry - I get it to eat later.

My nominations for the Best Sandwich in Seattle list would include:

1) The Reuben from Three Girls Bakery in the Pike Place Market. A huge portion of extra lean corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and thousand island dressing. The corned beef, cheese, and sauerkraut are heated in a microwave first, then placed on caraway rye which is buttered lightly on both sides and placed in a sandwich grill. This is what makes the sandwich special.

2) The Crumpet Shop in the Pike Place Market features fresh sliced turkey on homemade Scottish groat bread, usually still warm from the oven. Soups are also homemade and very good.

The Three Girls Meatloaf sandwich is pure Americana. Be sure to ask for the Meatloaf Sauce. :wub:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Today I went to the Red Line Cafe on Capitol Hill, across from the Coffee Messiah on Denny and Olive. I must say that they are distinguishing themselves in my great, cheap food list pretty quick.

I got a sandwich called "The Goodness." The name is not incorrect. It was a grilled panini with artichoke hearts, pesto sauce, a little red onion, and yummy melted mozzerella. It was terrific. I also got a cup of delicious lentil soup. The soup was unusual because I find that restaurants usually take the "mushy lentil" approach, where the lentils have been cooked and the soup is more like a thick puree, which I like. But I liked this even better. The lentils were distinct and flavorful. This says to me that the soup was somehow stored and cooked to order. Delicious.

I also had half an espresso brownie, which was rich and the frosting was sugary and crispy, in that good way.

They also serve fair trade coffee. I don't know how their meat products are, since I don't eat meat, but they have a fair number of them.

Hooray, new places!

Red Line is pretty much my favorite place to eat on Capitol Hill, and I LOVE their sandwiches. They come either cold (my favorite is the chicken blue cheese) or hot from their fiery oven. They re-tooled the menu recently and Matthew is devoted to one of the new sandwiches, the Texan, which is roast beef with chipotle jus. All the sandwiches I've eaten there have been great, including their versions of Reuben, chicken torta, and Italian grinder.

(Arianna's post went up while I was typing this. I'm so glad you found Red Line.)

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I have been going thru the Sandwich Selections, trying several items often and enjoyed the consistency in this family operated Restaurant with Grandma doing most of the preparation.

It called:

"GRINDERS" Hot Sands.

19811 Aurora Avenue North

Shoreline , Wa.

(206) 542-0627

Open 11:00 AM - 8:00 PM Closed Tuesday and Sunday

Just south of the Costco on Aurora Avenue.

My favorites are: (so far]

SauBall Grinder: Combination of Italian Sausage with Meatballs [tender and delicious] on a Italian Roll with Marinara Sauce, Grilled Onions and Melted Mozzarella.

Goomba Grinder: Sicilian Style Grilled Chicken, Kalamata Olives, Garlic Roasted Tomato's, Grilled Onions, Melted Feta and Mozzarella.

Clabatta Grinder: Ciabatta Bread dressed with Garlic, Infused Olive Oil, Oregano, Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto covered with Toscano, Finocchiona, Sopressata, and Fire Roasted Pork Loin.

Po' Boy Grinder: Choice of "Catfish" or "Shrimp", dusted with spicy Creole Seasonings dipped in hot oil to crisp, placed on a roll dressed with Remoulade Sauce covered with a blanket of Coleslaw. I request some Abruzzo Peppers be added.

Gilbano Grinder: Thin Sliced Triangle Tip grilled with Basil, Garlic, Onions, Spicy Abruzzo Peppers, Mozzarella, Gorgonzola loaded into a Italian Roll. A Seattle version of the "Philly Cheese Steak".

There are many others plus daily specials.

Their soups are also very good: Yesterdays was a Italian Traditional, "Tomato Bread Soup" with lots of character, plenty of garlic and some cheese.

For Desert I took home a Giant serving of "Bread Pudding" with Whiskey Sauce and Whipped Cream together with instruction for heating it up in a Microwave. It was enough for three, and very good.

The Sandwiches are all prepared to order, the interior is very comfortable and welcoming. Even though I have only been there about 6 times over several months I am welcomed and treated like a regular customer.

Give it a try and tell us about your meal. It's been doing more business, but I want to see it doing better so we can all enjoy its sandwiches

I wanted to ad three additional Sandwiches that I enjoy regularly in Seattle to my list.

Authentic "Monte Cristo" Sandwich at "Bakers Restaurant & Fountain" in business since 1929 located since it moved from Pikes Market in Lake City at 12534 Lake City Way, Seattle. This comes with very good Fresh Cut French Fries and you can order a eat with a spoon in the Container Milk Shake or Malted as well as Ice Cream Sodas.

They also make a large jumbo "Hamburger" cooked your way with Grilled to Order Onions thats a meal itself with the generous serving of French Fries.

"Paseo Caribbean Restaurant" makes a "Cuban Midnight" Sandwich thats my favorite there with a side order of Black Beans and Rice. I generally request that the only use a smaller amount of dressing as it can overwhelm the sandwich.

My other favorites are the various Vietnamese Sandwiches according to my mood from different places off Jackson, but I never yet had anything but good ones everywhere.

There are 2 very delicious unusual "Chinese Sandwiches" being prepared to order at "Fu Man Dumpling House" at 143rd & Greenwood Avenue.

Pork Hamburger and Beef Hamburgers are served in two round seasoned patties covered and cooked to order in a thin dough covering that bust with flavor and juices when you bite into them.(have napkin handy) Beware they can be addictive.

Irwin

Edited by wesza (log)

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

RE: Honey Hole

What else is at 7th & Pike.  I am just trying to picture it in my head.  Can someone recommend an above average French Dip in Seattle?

I thought HoneyHole was above average as it is not just lunch meat slabbed in the middle of plain bread. Beyond them I like Floyd's and T.S. McHughes, which I beleive are same owners so that might say something. I think Maggies on the bluff in Magnolia, down by the marina.....good FD here.

I eat alot of FD's just can't recall all. There a favorite hangover choice, I think.

Another very good sandwich place is the Polish deli on Madison, across from the Sorrento. I'm spacing the name (George's?). No seating though....

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

The Texan at Red Line seriously rocks. It's a hot, pressed sandwich with roast beef, cheddar, red onions (I think that's right), and horseradish, served with chipotle au jus. Whoever was asking about a great French Dip, this certainly is one, albeit nontraditional.

Other than that, I second Paseo's Midnight Cuban and Salumi's Porchetta. Seattle is somehow blessed with more than its share of great pork sandwiches.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Zaina and the new Falafel King for whatever suits the mood.

Market Grill blackened salmon.

Salumi...

something from Dahlia Bakery

Catfish at Matt's

Reuben at Persimmon

those little bites from The Spanish table

panini from Gelatiamo (they are all the way up to $4.95 now)

do the green eggs and ham on crumpet from Crumpet Shop count?

I keep driving by The Grinder after hours. Must try it one of these days. Fu Man too!

I love the falafel and shawarma sandwiches at Zaina. But the one thing that bugs me about the place...napkin stinginess. Just one of my pet peeves.

Just ask for another, or grab one. They don't mind if you really need one. Most people, however, when allowed to take as many napkins as they want will take far more than they need. I can understand why a small place like Zaina would try to keep costs down. Plus, it enabled them to afford that awesome remodel last year!

Here's my list if we include vegetarianism and poorness:

1. The Dirt Burger from the Honeyhole

2. Tofu Banh Mi from Saigon Deli (12th and Jackson)

3. Vegete "Meatball" Sub, you used to be able to get them fresh in their deli but now you have to buy them at the market

4. Tofu Sandwich from Baguette Box

5. Veggie "B"LT from the Honeyhole

If you've never had that Dirt Burger, you totally have to check it out.  Don't be afraid of the meatlessness it's unbelievably rich.

I'd definitely add the following to my vegetarian list:

1. Tofu Sandwich at Paseo

2. Eggplant Grinder at Matt's in the Market (I think it's currently off the menu, but hopefully it will come back)

Banh Mi Xa Xiu at Banh Cuon Tan Dinh in the ID, 1212 S. Main St., Suite A. A weekly foray.

Reuben Sandwich at EATS in Westwood Village, West Seattle, where they make their own pastrami. Their club sandwich is great too - with candied bacon. Follow it with a chocolate cupcake.

Meatloaf Sandwich at Three Girls Bakery, Pike Place. I love the cheeky counter staff.

Crab Cake Sandwich, Dahlia Lounge.

Most of my favorites have already been mentioned (the midnight cuban sandwich at Paseo, the lamb prosciutto at Salumi, Zaina's lamb sandwiches, various banh mi), but here are a couple more:

Turkey with cabrales and dried cranberries from Matt's, tragically not on the menu right now. I hate turkey with cranberry sauce but the dried cranberries add just the right amount of sweetness to offset the cabrales. Totally addictive.

The turkey sandwich and ham sandwich at Arosa Cafe on Madison. Really good panini bread, pressed so that the meat and cheese and tomatoes all combine into salty/tart squishy goodness. And you can get one of those delicious sweet waffle thingies as well. :wub:

• 4 weeks later...

My other favorites are the various Vietnamese Sandwiches according to my mood from different places off Jackson, but I never yet had anything but good ones everywhere.

Irwin

Thanks for the info on the Monte Cristo, I love a good Monte Cristo and they are rather hard to find!

Your mention of Vietnamese Sandwiches made me flash on one I had last week at Pho Cyclo on 1st Ave S. It was roasted pork and certainly the best one that I have had in recent memory (even better than the last sandwich I had at Baguette Box, although I have had many a good sandwich - and truffle fry there).

I guess I'm off to Lake City tomorrow :cool:

cburnsi

Irwin

Thanks for the info on the Monte Cristo, I love a good Monte Cristo and they are rather hard to find!

Your mention of Vietnamese Sandwiches made me flash on one I had last week at Pho Cyclo on 1st Ave S.  It was roasted pork and certainly the best one that I have had in recent memory (even better than the last sandwich I had at Baguette Box, although I have had many a good sandwich - and truffle fry there). 

I guess I'm off to Lake City tomorrow  :cool:

cburnsi

Of all places to find a Monte Cristo........The Dock in Fremont. This thing was triple stacked and a bit messy from all the meat juices, which I hope is a good thing. Quite a bit more loungy then the traditionals I have had.

Irwin -

I don't know how I did it, but I messed up your post! I'm so embarassed - and sorry - and I "shot myself in the foot" (now I don't know where to go to get my Monte Cristo). Can you repost it? My sincere apologies and pledge to do more careful posting in the future. :unsure:

cburnsi

Cafe on the Terrace (in Mountlake Terrace) has a Monte Cristo. I'm not sure how good it is since I've never tried it*, but it's one of the most popular items on the lunch menu.

--

*I've never tried it because the idea of the Monte Cristo freaks me out... meat and cheese, battered and sprinkled with powdered sugar, and served with jam?! TOO WEIRD.

Irwin -

I don't know how I did it, but I messed up your post!  I'm so embarassed - and sorry - and I "shot myself in the foot" (now I don't know where to go to get my Monte Cristo).  Can you repost it?  My sincere apologies and pledge to do more careful posting in the future. :unsure: 

cburnsi

Irwin -

I don't know how I did it, but I messed up your post!  I'm so embarassed - and sorry - and I "shot myself in the foot" (now I don't know where to go to get my Monte Cristo).  Can you repost it?  My sincere apologies and pledge to do more careful posting in the future. :unsure: 

cburnsi

cburnsi:

It's simple to find my previous post on this thread, just hit the mouse to return to page 1 of this thread and scroll down to my posting where I included the address of the "Bakers Restaurant" on Lake City Way. I indulge in one of their Thick Old Fashioned Shakes served in the Stainless Steel Container, request French Fries and Marion Berry Jam with your Monti Cristo.

Irwin

Isn't Peso's a Mexican restaurant? Why would they even have a Monte Cristo on the menu? It seems to me that ordering it would only invite problems, like ordering a hamburger at a Chinese restaurant. I agree though, the owner was completely in the wrong.

Still, the tone of that blog totally bums me out....

Edited by dandelion (log)