• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Sandwich in Seattle

1. Pork Cheek Sandwich from Salumi

2. Porchetta Sandwich from Salumi

3. Braised Tofu Sandwich with avacado from the Baguette Box

4. Midnight Cuban Sandwich from Paseo

5. Drunken Chicken Sandwich from The Baguette Box

6. Eggplant Grinder from Matt's in the Market

7. Blacken Salmon Sandwich from The Market Grill

8. The Almost Thanksgiving Sandwich from The Capitol Hill Internet Cafe and Eatery

9. Roasted Pork Lion with apricot aoili from The Baguette Box

10. Lamb Prosciutto with goat cheese and fig jam from Salumi

Honorable Mention - The Beef on Weck from Buffalo Deli, Fennel Sausage Sandwich from Salumi, The Ham and Cheese Baguette from Le Panier, Curried Tuna from Boat Street Cafe, Portabello Grinder from Matt's in the Market, any of the daily specials from Macrina

Edited by hhlodesign (log)

I don't know if they still have it, but the Broadway Grill had a roast chicken, caramelled onions, and brie on a baguette with a turkey au jus that was really great. I miss the grilled chicken sandwich on a poppyseed roll and potato salad at the old AJ's on Madison.

I have yet to find the perfect french dip. Restaraunts either don't butter & toast the bread, serve weak flavorless (or worse, extra salty) broth, and the meat is almost alway way over done (or in the case of Sport, brown rubber passed off as beef.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

The best sandwich that Seattle has ever seen is the doner kebap at Bistro Antalya before the INS screwed it up for all of us.... :angry:

Agree with the Salumi and Baguette box selections. My other current fav's are the Carribean pork sandwich at the Nordstrom Grill and the turkey club at Hungry and Harried Cafe, it rises well above whatever you may be imagining.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

The best sandwich that Seattle has ever seen is the doner kebap at Bistro Antalya before the INS screwed it up for all of us....  :angry:

Totally agree!!!

I used to go there at least twice a week. When I got the sandwich to go, the owner used to always tell me to make sure I ate it hot. I love people who aren't just concerned about making a sale, but truly care about how people enjoy their food.

Sadly, the Capitol Hill Internet Cafe is no more. Those were good sandwiches, and also Laurie and I went there to check email (at their old location) when we were first apartment hunting in Seattle. So what's your new #8?

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Here's my list if we include vegetarianism and poorness:

1. The Dirt Burger from the Honeyhole

2. Tofu Banh Mi from Saigon Deli (12th and Jackson)

3. Vegete "Meatball" Sub, you used to be able to get them fresh in their deli but now you have to buy them at the market

4. Tofu Sandwich from Baguette Box

5. Veggie "B"LT from the Honeyhole

If you've never had that Dirt Burger, you totally have to check it out. Don't be afraid of the meatlessness it's unbelievably rich.

Sadly, the Capitol Hill Internet Cafe is no more. Those were good sandwiches, and also Laurie and I went there to check email (at their old location) when we were first apartment hunting in Seattle. So what's your new #8?

It would be too easy to just move something up from the honorably mention list. Also too easy to add one of the many wonderful sandwiches I failed to mention on the Salumi and Baguette Box menus. So for the new resident of my #8 position......

8. Pastrami on Rye from Cascioppo's in Ballard

I will acknowledge that this is not a classic NY deli pastrami sandwich. I prefer Langer's in LA myself. But for a pastrami on rye in Seattle, this place is hard to beat. There's also not much competition on that front. If anyone can suggest a better PoR in Seattle, please let me know!

I <b>love</b> the <a href="http://www.thehoneyhole.com/" target="_blank">Honeyhole</a>! My favorite sandwich there is the El Guapo, which is also vegetarian. If you're looking for a meat sandwich, skip the french dip, but try the Chachi or the Roger Lodge (which is a special on Thursdays).

The sandwiches at Hillside Quickies are also really good if you're looking for a vegetarian sandwich. My favorite there is the New York TLT. You can get them at their restaurant, and several markets around town... Mont's, the Rainbow, and others.

As a final note, in case any restaurateurs are reading this... can we please do away with the grilled veggie sandwich as the default vegetarian option? Usually comprised of cold grilled eggplant, onions and peppers on a roll of some type, it's disgusting and found everywhere. I call it the Slug Sandwich.

Here are a few more:

The reuben at the 74th Street Alehouse. It's tasted exactly the same for the last five years. Braised meat and cabbage, slightly spicy dressing, pan-fried then warmed in the oven. If they served fries I would set up a tent and sleep out front every night. They keep raising the prices though. I think it's $11 now, probably be more next week.

Grilled pork bahn mi at the New Saigon Deli (about a hundred yards east of 12th and Jackson on the south side of the street). It's the most expensive option at $2. How do they pay the rent?

BLT at Persimmon on Fremont and about 42nd. Kind of small but great ingredients.

Any of the sandwiches from the really small counter at the Spanish Table under the Pike Place Market. Good bread, a thin line of filling, and olive oil. It doesn't look like it'll do it but it's completely satisfying every time.

At Salumi I've had a good sandwich with thinly sliced spicy salami and fresh mozzarella. All of their sandwiches are tasty, but that's a lot of bread for just one sandwich.

The pate and cornichon sandwich at Le Fournil just south of the University bridge on Eastlake. Delicious, and the lunch deal every day is a relatively large sandwich, a drink (including espresso), and a fantastic pastry for $7. That's hard to beat.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

My nominations for the Best Sandwich in Seattle list would include:

1) The Reuben from Three Girls Bakery in the Pike Place Market. A huge portion of extra lean corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and thousand island dressing. The corned beef, cheese, and sauerkraut are heated in a microwave first, then placed on caraway rye which is buttered lightly on both sides and placed in a sandwich grill. This is what makes the sandwich special.

2) The Crumpet Shop in the Pike Place Market features fresh sliced turkey on homemade Scottish groat bread, usually still warm from the oven. Soups are also homemade and very good.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

i love the sandwiches at smarty pants in georgetown. i eat meat, but i love the turkey sandwich, subbing field roast for the turkey. if only i could get fries.....i also love the turkey sandwich at cafe septieme (but i usually sub portobello for the turkey, yum).

vio's has great sandwiches, too.

Don't forget the prawn sandwich at Paseo.

Today I took a new-to-working-downtown friend on a tour of great lunch spots; the tour ended at the Market Grill, where we had blackened halibut and salmon sandwiches, the best sandwiches downtown.

I have been going thru the Sandwich Selections, trying several items often and enjoyed the consistency in this family operated Restaurant with Grandma doing most of the preparation.

It called:

"GRINDERS" Hot Sands.

19811 Aurora Avenue North

Shoreline , Wa.

(206) 542-0627

Open 11:00 AM - 8:00 PM Closed Tuesday and Sunday

Just south of the Costco on Aurora Avenue.

My favorites are: (so far]

SauBall Grinder: Combination of Italian Sausage with Meatballs [tender and delicious] on a Italian Roll with Marinara Sauce, Grilled Onions and Melted Mozzarella.

Goomba Grinder: Sicilian Style Grilled Chicken, Kalamata Olives, Garlic Roasted Tomato's, Grilled Onions, Melted Feta and Mozzarella.

Clabatta Grinder: Ciabatta Bread dressed with Garlic, Infused Olive Oil, Oregano, Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto covered with Toscano, Finocchiona, Sopressata, and Fire Roasted Pork Loin.

Po' Boy Grinder: Choice of "Catfish" or "Shrimp", dusted with spicy Creole Seasonings dipped in hot oil to crisp, placed on a roll dressed with Remoulade Sauce covered with a blanket of Coleslaw. I request some Abruzzo Peppers be added.

Gilbano Grinder: Thin Sliced Triangle Tip grilled with Basil, Garlic, Onions, Spicy Abruzzo Peppers, Mozzarella, Gorgonzola loaded into a Italian Roll. A Seattle version of the "Philly Cheese Steak".

There are many others plus daily specials.

Their soups are also very good: Yesterdays was a Italian Traditional, "Tomato Bread Soup" with lots of character, plenty of garlic and some cheese.

For Desert I took home a Giant serving of "Bread Pudding" with Whiskey Sauce and Whipped Cream together with instruction for heating it up in a Microwave. It was enough for three, and very good.

The Sandwiches are all prepared to order, the interior is very comfortable and welcoming. Even though I have only been there about 6 times over several months I am welcomed and trated like a regular customer.

Give it a try and tell us about your meal. It's been doing more business, but I want to see it doing better so we can all enjoy its sandwiches

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I have been going thru the Sandwich Selections, trying several items often and enjoyed the consistency in this family operated Restaurant with Grandma doing most of the preparation.

It called:

"GRINDERS" Hot Sands.

19811 Aurora Avenue North

Shoreline , Wa.

(206) 542-0627

Open 11:00 AM - 8:00 PM Closed Tuesday and Sunday

Just south of the Costco on Aurora Avenue.

This sounds like authentic Italian, Irwin. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try it since it's fairly handy to me in Shoreline. Sounds like a great way to unwind after the Costco experience! :smile:

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

Don't forget the prawn sandwich at Paseo.

Today I took a new-to-working-downtown friend on a tour of great lunch spots; the tour ended at the Market Grill, where we had blackened halibut and salmon sandwiches, the best sandwiches downtown.

I tried the prawn sandwich twice and both times I thought the prawns were a bit overcooked and rubbery. I'll give it one more chance for good measure. I am a huge fan of the grilled chicken and tofu (with plenty of spice) sandwiches though.

And is it just me, or did the place have more character before the remodel?

At Salumi I've had a good sandwich with thinly sliced spicy salami and fresh mozzarella.  All of their sandwiches are tasty, but that's a lot of bread for just one sandwich. 

I agree that the bread to meat ratio is a bit off for the salumi sandwiches. But the hot sandwiches I feel need the extra bread to soak up the juices from the meat. My only bread complaint from Salumi is that it sometimes cuts up the roof of my mouth. I prefer the baguettes from Le Panier that The Baguette Box uses. They have just the right amount of crustiness and density for a perfect sandwich.

BTW, one of my favorite sandwiches to make at home is a Le Panier baguette filled with aged provolone and Prociutto Di San Danielle (from DeLaurenti), fresh basil and heirloom tomatoes (from Frank's Produce) and a dash of white truffle oil (from La Buona Tavola); grilled on my panini grill. I call it my Pike Place Market Special.

Edited by hhlodesign (log)

I <b>love</b> the <a href="http://www.thehoneyhole.com/" target="_blank">Honeyhole</a>!  My favorite sandwich there is the El Guapo, which is also vegetarian.  If you're looking for a meat sandwich, skip the french dip, but try the Chachi or the Roger Lodge (which is a special on Thursdays).

The sandwiches at Hillside Quickies are also really good if you're looking for a vegetarian sandwich.  My favorite there is the New York TLT.  You can get them at their restaurant, and several markets around town... Mont's, the Rainbow, and others.

As a final note, in case any restaurateurs are reading this... can we please do away with the grilled veggie sandwich as the default vegetarian option?  Usually comprised of cold grilled eggplant, onions and peppers on a roll of some type, it's disgusting and found everywhere.  I call it the Slug Sandwich.

I love the Honehole as well, but mostly for "French Dip Friday". A little Brown Mustard and Swiss adds a lot.

I tried the prawn sandwich twice and both times I thought the prawns were a bit overcooked and rubbery.

I'll admit that I haven't had this in quite a while-it was a staple when I lived in the neighborhood (and the prawns were always great), but I haven't even been since they remodeled, so maybe things have changed.

RE: Honey Hole

What else is at 7th & Pike. I am just trying to picture it in my head. Can someone recommend an above average French Dip in Seattle?

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Here's my list if we include vegetarianism and poorness:

1. The Dirt Burger from the Honeyhole

2. Tofu Banh Mi from Saigon Deli (12th and Jackson)

3. Vegete "Meatball" Sub, you used to be able to get them fresh in their deli but now you have to buy them at the market

4. Tofu Sandwich from Baguette Box

5. Veggie "B"LT from the Honeyhole

If you've never had that Dirt Burger, you totally have to check it out.  Don't be afraid of the meatlessness it's unbelievably rich.

I second the Tofu Banh Mi from Saigon Deli, although I'm referring to the Saigon Deli on Rainier and Jackson. I haven't been to the other one, I'll have to check it out. A perfect lunch for me is a Tofu Banh Mi, some of those deep fried, bean paste filled sesame balls and a lychee drink. Mmmm.

I think my favorite vegetarian sandwich (vegan, actually) would have to be the Tofustrami from Hillside Quickies in the U. District. They marinate the tofu themselves and it has a great smoky flavor that is the antithesis of the stereotype of tofu being bland. The vegan potato salad that the put on the sandwiches is great too, and I don't even like potato salad. Being a student at the UW, it's tough to resist buying one on the way to class every day... unfortunately, on my student budget, that's not exactly feasible. However, Banh Mi ARE pretty cheap, and there are a few places to get them around the U. District, though I haven't tried any yet. I should get on that...