• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas and New Year's Eve in DC, 2005

I'm formerly from NOVA but haven't lived there is several years. Would like your suggestions for dining out on Christmas afternoon. Need a traditional menu for my Mom who is 80.

Thanks, Doug

You're best bet would would be to check the hotels in the area, although none leaps to mind as being particularly memorable.

Not sure how traditional it will be, but you are unlikely to get a better dinner on Christmas Day -- and would be hard pressed to get a better one any day -- than at Cordouroy, in the Sheraton 4Points in DC. It's a quick shot from Old Town, just across the 14th St Bridge and (if you know the shortcut) over to 12th. They are open, their number is (202) 589-0699, and I believe they have seats available. Search eG and you will find dozens of posts discussing the greatness of Chef Powers and his team.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

This is a tough one, but here's some ideas.

I'd assume that most restaurants in Old Town are closed. I'd bet that the ones that are open are Chinese, Thai etc. My mom is 75, and if your is like mine, well then, that probably wouldn't go over well.

Just ten or so minutes south (and a very nice drive along the Potomac) is Mt. Vernon. Here's a line to the restaurant. My mom would LOVE it. She's more into the theme and atmosphere, vs haute cuisine and amuse bouches. She just likes basic things done serviceably.

http://www.mountvernon.org/visit/dining/index.cfm/ss/6/

Other than that, you may want to puruse the Alexandria website.

http://funside.com/

There you can also find contact numbers and perhaps someone "in the know' to ask specifically.

Happy Holidays!

Edited by monavano (log)

I'm formerly from NOVA but haven't lived there is several years. Would like your suggestions for dining out on Christmas afternoon. Need a traditional menu for my Mom who is 80.

Thanks, Doug

You're best bet would would be to check the hotels in the area, although none leaps to mind as being particularly memorable.

Not sure how traditional it will be, but you are unlikely to get a better dinner on Christmas Day -- and would be hard pressed to get a better one any day -- than at Cordouroy, in the Sheraton 4Points in DC. It's a quick shot from Old Town, just across the 14th St Bridge and (if you know the shortcut) over to 12th. They are open, their number is (202) 589-0699, and I believe they have seats available. Search eG and you will find dozens of posts discussing the greatness of Chef Powers and his team.

Our illustrious Forum Host beat me to the punch. You simply cannot go wrong at Corduroy (says someone who took an 85 year-old woman to Thanksgiving dinner there in the past few days). The hotels HAVE to be open on Christmas; but Corduroy is an independently chef-owned restaurant in a hotel. Trust me on this.

I think the problem here is that there are so few great restaurats in Old Town to begin with. It's too bad, since it's such a great neighborhood to tromp around at Christmastime--it's so quaint with those pretty lights and everything. I wonder if Eve might be open? Majestic Cafe might be worth investigating as well.

Speaking of hotel restaurants which I'd wager would be open for Christmas Day brunch, you may also want to try the Holiday Inn Select Old Town Alexandria. The restaurant is 101 Royal. Phone is 703-549-6080.

It's located, as you probably remember, in the heart of Old Town across from the Market Square. The restaurant is pleasant with a view of the courtyard, and the lobby is nicely appointed for the holidays.

It is very reasonably priced as well.

Edited to add that I called the Holiday Inn Select and they do indeed have a Christmas Brunch which for the holiday, offers an expanded selection such as carved roast and ham etc. Price is 27.95.

If your interested you may want to call and make a reservation.

Edited by monavano (log)

Just got an e-mail reminding me that local legend Ris Lacoste will be spending her last night behind the line at 1789 this New Years Eve, and for those who go out that night, it might be well worth the trip. ($75, five courses, wine tax and tip not included). I, personally think that 1789 is much-overlooked and if you haven't had ris cook for you, you're missing out.

Then it occurred to me that "where should I go" is kind of a perennial trauma, so if anyone else has any questions, suggestions or favorites, please feel free to post here. (I will merge a previous thread into this one for convenience).

I'm on the pavement

• 2 weeks later...

Washingtonian magazine has its list of restaurants open on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day (and two restaurants offering Hanukkah specials), right here. Note Roberto Donna and Galileo's offering of "Christmas to go" for those eager to eat at home but not eager to cook.

Not listed: Meiwah, where the Busboy family conducted its own short-lived insurgency against Christmas -- Christmas Dinner, anyway -- a couple of years back, over crispy whole fish and and dan-dan noodles. :wink:

I'm on the pavement