• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

no-bookings policies in London

adt

I’ve got a smallish group (5-8) to find some fine food for on Saturday – late lunch or early dinner – and thought the best bet this late in the day might be somewhere with a no-bookings policy (and hopefully only a half-hour-ish wait for a table). Does anyone have any such places they rate highly?

I’d prefer to avoid a majorly ethnic slant to the menu. Price isn’t a major object. Thought Islington Ottolenghi might be good option for a late lunch, their no bookings policy running out at 4pm. I didn’t rate the Anchor and Hope too highly, and Saturdays are probably a nightmare there anyway. Perhaps St John Bread and Wine (which admittedly takes bookings) has a suitable 5pm lull? other ideas...?

Ian

I go to bakeries, all day long.

There's a lack of sweetness in my life...

If you're thinking of Ottolenghi you may as well piss off to Angel Mangal across the saw.

Great dead sheep and will definitely be space to spread out

ta

J

I’ve got a smallish group (5-8) to find some fine food for on Saturday – late lunch or early dinner – and thought the best bet this late in the day might be somewhere with a no-bookings policy (and hopefully only a half-hour-ish wait for a table). Does anyone have any such places they rate highly?

I’d prefer to avoid a majorly ethnic slant to the menu. Price isn’t a major object. Thought Islington Ottolenghi might be good option for a late lunch, their no bookings policy running out at 4pm. I didn’t rate the Anchor and Hope too highly, and Saturdays are probably a nightmare there anyway. Perhaps St John Bread and Wine (which admittedly takes bookings) has a suitable 5pm lull? other ideas...?

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

cheers, perhaps we'll piss off there then ;) it certainly gets better london eating reviews than ottolenghi. the latter was recommended on eG ages ago but I never got round to going, thought the bread at least should be reliable.

I guess for the kind of food I'd really like a booking might be unavoidable. has anyone experience of turning up unanounced at st john bread and wine on a saturday night (e.g. the penultimate one before christmas..) and getting a table within a reasonable time?

Ian

I go to bakeries, all day long.

There's a lack of sweetness in my life...

Might be too late but perhaps Anchor & Hope at Waterloo...or somewhere with a communal table, there's an Italian place also near Waterloo (near County Hall perhaps) that serves high quality antipasti etc. etc. the name of which escapes me, Jon Tseng help me out here...

Might be too late but perhaps Anchor & Hope at Waterloo...or somewhere with a communal table, there's an Italian place also near Waterloo (near County Hall perhaps) that serves high quality antipasti etc. etc. the name of which escapes me, Jon Tseng help me out here...

Refettorio?

clb