• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Michelle Bommarito

Wendy DeBord

There was another thread here on one of her techniques that I was hoping maybe she'd comment on. :smile: She does do some amazing cakes! I loved the elegance and creativity of her cake from the holiday cake challenge. I guess it will be the challenge again this sunday if anyone missed it. It has a close up of Michelle making ornaments by piping royal icing on a balloon and popping it. They were beautiful.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I agree that she is truly an artist. I thought her cake in the holiday competition was truly inspiring. I LOVED the way she made all those beautiful ornaments. I also thought the theme of her cake was wonderful, and was the best representation of the true spirit of the season. Thanks for posting her website, Wendy, I am definitely adding it to my favorites.

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

• 3 months later...

Many moons later, I got a response to the email I sent to Michelle. Here's what she said:

"Candace... Thank you so much for your kind words....i tried getting on

egullet a while back ...yet could not make it happen.....i would love

to

answer any questions that you still may have...

Smile......"

So - does anyone have either a really good basic guide for how to get someone up and running on egullet, or else, a question that they'd like me to relay?

Edited by annarborfoodie (log)

Yes I agree the cakes are beautiful. I have a question though: I have always been directed that you can not recreate a licensed character or logo on cakes for sale without the permission of the company. So how is Michelle able to do such things like this (i.e. Disney, Willy Wonka etc.)

I am asking the question because I have turned away a few orders because of my fear of getting tagged with an trademark infringement fine.

Believe, Laugh, Love

Lydia (aka celenes)

Yes I agree the cakes are beautiful.  I have a question though:  I have always been directed that you can not recreate a licensed character or logo on cakes for sale without the permission of the company.  So how is Michelle able to do such things like this (i.e. Disney, Willy Wonka etc.)

She's tempting fate. I didn't notice anything Disney but the blues clues and thomas the tank engine are absolutely copyright infringement.... if she had in fact sold those cakes. You're allowed to do that kind of stuff at home for your own kids etc..... maybe she did them for friends or family and has those people to vouch for her if need be? I'm just guessing here......

Still, her website is a portfolio of her professional services and the photos would obviously be misconstrued by anyone viewing that she does make those cakes for sale.

Personally, I think she should get those pictures off her website asap. Not for the infringment inssue, but for the simple fact that she is obviously a very talented artist and her site should be showcasing her work not her copies of other artists' work.

:smile:

The original question way back was on her four seasons wedding cake she did in the competition in beaver creek colorado ages ago, how did she get the power sprayer do give her the effect of snow?

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."