• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which Cake Decorating Magazine?

Desertm

I live abroad and I am not familiar with the magazines published in the US. I would like to subscribe to a magazine dedicated to cake decorating (this is what I do, in a small scale). Because of the high cost of delivery, I can afford a subscription to just one magazine.

I like to read about techniques, original and unconventional ideas for cakes.

Which one would you recommend?

Thank you very much for your help!! :smile:

Desrtm~

I would have to agree with Wendy.

There are only a couple of magazines printed here in the States that are soley for cake decorating so there aren't a lot of choices.

There are some REALLY talented sugar artists that contribute to this board. I can't tell you how much I have learned from them, it's wonderful.

Sure hope this helps you.

There's a wealth of talented people who participate in egullet, so I agree with the previous posters! Everyone here is willing to share, answer questions and provide excellent help!

But, if you'd like a magazine, depending on where you live, you might like to get a subscription to Cakes and Sugarcraft, published by Squires Kitchen in the UK. The web site is www.squires-group.co.uk. This is a magazine that includes step by step instructions for cake decoration/design for a few featured cakes, and the last few pages are cake photos submitted by subscribers. Lindy Smith, Debbie Brown, Carole Deacon and Maisie Parrish are all frequent contributors.

There are two magazines published in Australia that are collections of wedding cakes - no how-to, no recipes, just photos - and they aren't closeups, but they are enough to provide inspiration. They are published in the fall, and usually I buy Modern Wedding's Wedding Cakes and Chocolates directly from the publisher and then I buy Bride to Be from a cake supply shop called Iced Affair when I buy supplies. I think the Modern Wedding site is www.modernweddings.com.au but I can't remember; I'll have to look it up.

America is as not as noted for it's fine cake publications as the other countries that have been mentioned. However, we do have a few US magazines, among them--American Cake Decorating has techniques & cake photos & editorials & discussions & stuff--comes out six times a year I believe. Then Mailbox News has zillions of photos submitted by the artists--also six times a year--somebody correct me please if I am mistaken.

'Course Wilton Industries puts out their Yearbook every year with an all year look at the craft particularly geared toward their product line includes foundational techniques & how to's.

Martha Stewart puts out her Weddings magazine four times a year. But like Grace Ormond's Wedding Style magazine, these both encompass all aspects of the wedding although Martha's does give cake instructions. These two give usually super wedding cake ideas but again only Martha's gives a smattering of instruction.

I believe many passions (drama) pro and con surround each publication.

And yes--we are comfortable to share our combined wealth of cake decorating wisdom, including disasters, triumphs, techniques, myth busting, myth setting et al. :biggrin:

Welcome to egullet, Dessertm!!!

Thanks everybody for your response!

Yes, the internet, and this forum in particular, have been a very valuable resource for me - I have learned from you most of what I know.

On the other hand, I am a sort of old fashioned person - I like the smell of the paper and the ink, to go over and over the same articles, to leaf through the pages of a book or a magazine, just for the pleasure of it. :biggrin:

Not pushing this website..........just look around on the internet. Theres sooooo much great info. and photographs of work that it puts magazines to shame. They can't keep up with the imediacy of the net.

I print out items/aticles all the time. I get like 10 times more info. on the net then I find in magazines on baking. PLUS, I've developed trust in certain people who when they say xyz recipe is auesome, I know it will be (no need to test run that recipe). The community sharing of info. takes alot of work out of finding good recipes. If theres something I really like, I use good photo paper to print on, so my image is as good as possible. You can click print on a ton of things and walk away from your computor. Then go back and read it at your leasure whereever you are...and get ink on your hands.

Another thing I find important is that I need to keep track of where I read something so I can access it imediately. I used to tear apart magazines so I could file recipes and articles. I have files that I use to catagorize cake referrences. Like baby cakes, graduation cakes, x-mas cakes, etc... Because when I needed an idea of a cake I didn't have time to page thru 40 magazines. Then I have baking files where I index my recipes with catagories like, chocolate, cakes, tarts, pies, custards, etc... Again, it's a huge time saver.

WOW! A post I can actually answer!:) I am not sure where you are but I LOVE the following two magazines. Both are Australian so you may need to contact them directly to see if they will ship to your location.

Modern Wedding Cakes ( ISSN 1441-2586) http://www.modernwedding.com.au/statics/mwcc.html

Bride to be Cakes ( ISSN 1323-5060) - http://www.time.com/time/australia/magazines/btb_cakes.htm

-- Jane:)