• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good wine shop in N NJ?

bp1123

I'd like to buy several good/great bottles for my husband as a gift - I'm looking for a good wine shop in Northern NJ where they have experience and know how to help choose the right wines. Most stores I've been in don't seem to know much & simply show me the WS ratings.

Any suggestions? Thanks -

Depending on how Northern NJ you are... I happen to like the new wine store next door to Typhoon on Palisade Ave in Englewood. Wine Ventures in Tenafly is also a nice eclectic store.

Its a little across the border, but I also like Wine for All in Tappan, NY.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Depending on how Northern NJ you are... I happen to like the new wine store next door to Typhoon on Palisade Ave in Englewood.

Yeh this place is great, nice selection of spirits also. I found it after walking off a meal at Bennies.

I would also second Wine library.

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

I like Total Wine...

West Orange, NJ

Total Wine & More - Essex Green

Prospect Avenue & I-280

Phone: 973-324-0899

Fax: 973-324-0769

Part of the WineAccess.com group at...

Total Wine

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

There's a Total Wine in River Edge as well.

Total Wine's prices are good, but I wouldn't say their people are outstandingly knowledgeable. They also don't really carry boutique or small production wines either.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Smart Buy in Ft Lee is good.

also

Wine Legend in Livingston

I second the nominations of Wine Library and Gary's both very good

and if you want a lot of personal attention Jason's recommendation of "Wine For All"

in Tappan NY is very good--Eli Hardoff the owner is very passionate and knowledgeable and this is a very small place so you won't get lost in the crowd.

It is on RT 303 just over the border in NY.

I would be curious as to what places you have had less than satisfactory experiences at.

Edited by JohnL (log)

There's a Total Wine in River Edge as well.

Total Wine's prices are good, but I wouldn't say their people are outstandingly knowledgeable. They also don't really carry boutique or small production wines either.

some of the river edge staff are actually quite knowledgeable in my experience. i've gotten good recs from more than a few in the past 5 years or so that i've been shopping there.

i'll throw in carlo russo in ho-ho-kus.

clearly an idea of what part of "northern NJ" would be helpful in this exercise. there's a decent wine store pretty much within 30 minutes of any part of northern NJ.

I have always heard good things about Wine and Spirit World in Wyckoff on Fanklin ave at Godwin ave.

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

we really like Gary's Wine and Marketplace and i like a little place in sparta called Burke's Wine and Liquor Store. they only will take cash or check - no credit cards but the owners - especially Randy are very knowledgeable and, though a small store, it is really well stocked.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Avoid asking any wine shop staff, "do you like this wine," or "what do you like" because this is a subjective trap: what someone else likes may not be to your own liking. Instead, seek out someone who begins asking you about your own personal tastes (i.e. spicy, mild, sweet, sour, etc) and what foods it may be paired with. At that point, a truly knowledgable staffer can guide you to some appropriate recommendations.

Having said that, I have had good experience with the staff at Magnolia's wine shop in Upper Montclair. Gary's (any location) is very good, too, as others here have stated. Wine Library in Short Hills/Millburn is another. For a more initimate/boutique shopping experience and eschewing big brand vineyards, try Amanti Vino in Montclair where the owner sells only wines that she has personally tasted and approved of.

For a more initimate/boutique shopping experience and eschewing big brand vineyards, try Amanti Vino in Montclair where the owner sells only wines that she has personally tasted and approved of.

30 Church Street in Montclair, between the new Raymond's and Taro

free parking in the new Church Street garage

Nice place, and their yellow lab retriever is quite playful

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I agree with Wine library, Gary's and Amanti. If you want to go up another level and you go to NYC, the Italian Wine Merchant (near Union Square) and the Burgundy Wine Company (Chelsea) offer a great selection in their special areas and absolutely personal consulting in your purchases.

If anyone wants to check these out for Xmas shopping or just to see or buy some great wines, I recommend these stores. Both have websites and mailing lists for their e-newsletters.

For a more initimate/boutique shopping experience and eschewing big brand vineyards, try Amanti Vino in Montclair where the owner sells only wines that she has personally tasted and approved of.

30 Church Street in Montclair, between the new Raymond's and Taro

free parking in the new Church Street garage

Nice place, and their yellow lab retriever is quite playful

The Church Street garage is free till Dec. 31 and only for the first four hours. Meters in Montclair will be free after Dec 12 to ? Probably till Christmas.

Bought some very interesting inexpensive wines at Amanti Vino.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE