• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Celebrating the Anniversary of the Repeal of Prohibition

lancastermike

My fiance and I celebrated at Catherine Lombardi's in NJ....they had a 33% off special on "Drinks of the Past", so naturally we had.....all of them.

Stork Club

Ritz

Clover Club

(real) Pink Lady

Algonquin

(split up of course...between the two of us!)

Had an old fashioned, then a fellow eGulleter stopped in, brought in some tangerines and had the bartender make up a cocktail.

• 1 year later...

Repeal Day is December 5, and this year I'm working at the bar for the night. I'm trying to line up a few candidates for appropriate libations and would love to know what you'll be shaking and stirring.

Quite sure the 12 Mile Limit will be on the card:

1 oz white rum

1/2 oz rye

1/2 oz brandy

1/2 oz grenadine

1/2 oz lemon juice

lemon twist

You?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Wow. Repeal Day. I had no idea this was going on.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Hey, let's not forget one of the biggest winner's of the Prohibtion era was the Kennedy Family. Then when it was repealed they still received $1 for every bottle of White Label sold (through the old Chicago Mart) - and that money eventually purchased a presidency (re: Illinois). See what a bottle of Scotch can do to your mind and body.

If one reads Daniel Okrents book about prohibition one would see that he dispells the rumor of the Kennedy family being major bootleggers. He says it is the single biggest myth about prohibition and he spent lots of time investegating it.