• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Seafood Restaurants In The World

paul mitchell

I've been searching for some restaurants / chefs that primarily cook seafood for some ideas. Whose the most creative, inventive, consistent, cutting edge, perfectly simple, or uses interesting, sustainable and exotic product? Through some of the websites I've looked at I see techniques like emulsions being used but what else is all the rage? Thanks.

Le Bernardin is often regarded as the best in NYC if not the world. Michelin's recent 3-star award would seem to back this up.

Le Bernardin Menu

I also really love what Laurent Manrique is doing with seafood at Aqua in San Francisco.

Laurent Manrique Profile

David Kinch is doing some amazing and imaginative things with all foods, as well as seafood at Manresa:

PDF Sample menu from Manresa

One last newcomer to keep an eye on is Hiro Sone at his brand-new restaurant, Ame. He wowed the west coast with his food at Terra in the Napa Valley, and has now opened a sleek, sophisticated venue in San Francsico. His seafood preparations are fresh, pure & beautiful.

Ame Restaurant Menu

(edited to add Ame menu)

Edited by lizard (log)

Thanks, Mr. Manrique's menu is fantastic.

I forgot to address your inquiry regarding trends.

"Crudo" seems to be making an ever-widening appearance on menus across the country. It might be due to the fact that it's a very friendly course for the small-plates concepts that are proliferating like an algae-bloom across the nation.

Also, for really cutting edge, try some of the "molecular gastronomy" masters : Grant Achatz (Alinea), Homaro Cantu (Moto), Wylie DuFresne (WD-50), and of course Adria at El Bulli. They all have some out-there preparations for seafood.

I recall Wylie DuFresne did something orginal by making "couscous" out of pulverzied & dried scallops at WD-50...

Well, normally I think that the most excellent chefs also are very good in seafood. I have the idea that amongst top chefs seafood is more appreciated then meat.

Anyway, my experience at Le Bernardin was quite disappointing; my last visit at WD-50 the most interesting of all my restaurants in NYC.

Personally I like very much the Sea Grill in Brussels for its seafood - the restaurant I visit already since more then 10 years: creative (not innovative) bur very interesting (well, I must admit: I have been there about a 50 times). It has two Michelin stars.

i don't know if it would qualify as inventive but just take your pick at any of the high end restaurants around the vieux port of Marseille. i can still taste the freshness of the seafood. definately one of my best meals EVER. i'd be happy to supply specifics for those interested.

Take your pick of any of the high-end sushi houses in the world. Two that float the boat for me are Sushi Yasuda and Kurumazushi in NYC. Many of the trends of western seafood restaurants seem to be coming from these places (general not specifically the restaurants mentioned).

I agree with the statement that pretty much all the ultra high-end restaurants in the world emphasize seafood in their kitchens. The Spanish luxe restaurants are particularly adept with these ingredients, exotic or otherwise.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Maybe not cutting edge, but "Out of the Blue" in Dingle, Ireland has some of the freshest seafood available, prepared by a chef from Brittany. The owner's brother is a fisherman, and if he doesn't think the catch is good, he doesn't open the restaurant. Here's the website:

http://www.outoftheblue.ie

Olivier Roellinger in Brittany.

It probably helps that he has access to amazing seafood in Brittany, but it's not simply a matter of good produce. He is also a masterful chef. He only has two Michelin stars at the moment, but a third should not be too far in the horizon.

Edited by pim (log)

chez pim

not an arbiter of taste

I agree with the statement that pretty much all the ultra high-end restaurants in the world emphasize seafood in their kitchens. The Spanish luxe restaurants are particularly adept with these ingredients, exotic or otherwise.

At the top end, Santi Santamaria at El Raco de Can Fabes, a Michelin 3* restaurant in Spain is a wonder with fish. On the more casual end, you can't beat Rafa's in Roses (Spain).