• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Just moved to Bloomfield

JohnnyH

So we've finally left Morristown for Bloomfield, and now I need to find a good place for Chinese. Any thoughts?

Sesame in Montclair on Bloomfield Ave

Shiki Wok right in Bloomfield. They have internet ordering too

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

So we've finally left Morristown for Bloomfield, and now I need to find a good place for Chinese. Any thoughts?

Sesame isn't bad. They have an affordable Peking Duck dinner, and the food in general is decent. I had a poached duck with 5 spices that was exceptional!

Rich, is Shiki Wok better than the place right across the street?

For takeout, I think that Wah Chung is probably the best in the area.

If you have an interest in other Asian cuisines, Montclair has plenty.

Thai Chef and Little Saigon are both excellent.

Edited by hitmanoo (log)

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

For Vietnamese, Binh Duong in Bloomfield:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=36469

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Sesame isn't bad. They have an affordable Peking Duck dinner, and the food in general is decent. I had a poached duck with 5 spices that was exceptional!

Rich, is Shiki Wok better than the place right across the street?

For takeout, I think that Wah Chung is probably the best in the area.

If you have an interest in other Asian cuisines, Montclair has plenty.

Thai Chef and Little Saigon are both excellent.

Where is Wah Chung located? I take it they deliver?

Hi

I've been reading egullet for a very long time, finally posting!

I get take out from Wah-Chung often, I think the food is good, the people are friendly and the service is fast.

Unfortunately, they don't deliver, despite my begging and pleading. When I'm just too lazy to drive over to Wah-Chung, I call Shiki Wok in Bloomfield. Their Chinese is OK, I think their Japanese food leaves much to be desired.

I like Shiki Wok because I can order over the internet, pay with a credit card and have the stuff delievered within 40 minutes. Some days the less human contact you have the better. ;)

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Thank you Rosie.

Wah-Chung is strictly take-out, just a small counter with a chair or two where you can wait for your food.

"Some days the less human contact you have the better. ;)"

Rich, I often feel the same way :)),

While we're on the subject of Watchung Plaza, I also like the pizza at La Couronne . It is as close as I can find locally to the pizza I've enjoyed in Rome. Of course, I also enjoyed a bottle or two of Chianti with that Roman pizza, so my taste could be a bit off.

Golden China Gourmet (take-out / no delivery) is not bad. They are on Grove Street, right near Grove Pharmacy in Montclair. I can't compare with Wah Chung as I've never been there, but with that GREAT take on the name, I should!

Another good regular (plus takeout) is Joy Luck Chinese Pavilion on Northfield Ave, in West Orange -- across from the Arena. Also ask for the Chinese menu. They serve liquor. They deliver BUT only locally, so Bloomfield is out.

You can go east to China 46 , on 46 East-- almost to the Hudson. Big followers by those on the Chinese Forum. They are also big fans of Hunan Cottage. (so am I!)

Let us know where you go and what you think, will you?

OH! Almost forgot! Hunan Palace on Glenwood Ave. Is it still there? When I used to go there, it was excellent and the only place in the area that dared to stray from chop suey. Glenwood Ave is an extension of Broad Street, with Bloomfield Ave. being the divider. Glenwood is south of Bloomfield Ave.

Edited by jo-mel (log)

Golden China Gourmet (take-out / no delivery) is not bad.  They are on Grove Street, right near Grove Pharmacy in Montclair. I can't compare with Wah Chung as I've never been there, but with that GREAT take on the name, I should!

I used to live on Grove St, and I tried Golden China Gourmet once. I wasn't a fan at all, and never returned. Perhaps I ordered wrong.

It would have been nice if they were decent, as the were witin walking distance. Instead, I chose to make the drive over to Wah Chung, because I felt they were far superior.

To put things in perspective, neither of these places is in the same league as Hunan Cottage or Chna 46.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Golden China Gourmet (take-out / no delivery) is not bad.  They are on Grove Street, right near Grove Pharmacy in Montclair. I can't compare with Wah Chung as I've never been there, but with that GREAT take on the name, I should!

I used to live on Grove St, and I tried Golden China Gourmet once. I wasn't a fan at all, and never returned. Perhaps I ordered wrong.

It would have been nice if they were decent, as the were witin walking distance. Instead, I chose to make the drive over to Wah Chung, because I felt they were far superior.

To put things in perspective, neither of these places is in the same league as Hunan Cottage or Chna 46.

Golden China use to have a Chicken with Black Pepper Sauce that was wonderful. But I guess there was a change in chefs, because it is different now. Their food is pretty standard. But one time I saw a can of shredded Sichuan pickle that they use to make Pork and Pickled Cabbage Soup - one of my favs. I asked them if they would make me a pork and pickled cabbage stir/fry. They did and I was happy!

Hunan Cottage/China 46 are WAYYYYYYYYYY beyond these or any other take-out or even any of the local Chinese restaurants.

China Gourmet on Eagle Rock Ave (down from Pals and across from Mayfair Farms) was one of my favorites before Hunan Cottage and China 46 came along. I heard recently that they had dropped in quality, but I don't know that firsthand. I loved their Skewered Oysters in Black Pepper Sauce on sizzling platter and Scallops with Black Pepper Sauce (I like Black Pepper Sauce!!) when I went there. Also they had a few good dishes in clay pot.

Interesting that Chengdu 46 in ?Clifton? hasn't been mentioned. That was THE place to go for awhile. Good food, well prepared, costly, small menu ---- but--------------.

Ordered take-out from Sesame last night -- it was excellent. We stuck to our standards, and were very happy.

General Tsao's chicken (I know, I know, it's not authentic, it's "candied" Chinese --whatever, it's a guilty pleasure) was made with large, recognizable pieces of leg meat. Batter was not the primary ingredient; a happy surprise. Beef & broccoli used larger, more tender pieces of meat than I'm used too. Dumplings were not overly doughy and the sauce was excellent.

I plan on trying the other places recommended up-thread, but this place was a home run.

*edited for typo.

Edited by JohnnyH (log)

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

Glad you liked it!