• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Desserts in KC

Katie Nell

I'll be honest... this is the part of the meal I look forward to the most! I've been know to not eat all of my veggies just so I have room for dessert... who am I kidding?!? I always do this! :wink:

A dinner the other night at 1924 Main (fabulous, by the way) made me wonder who has the best dessert in Kansas City. I'm sad to say that I haven't tried enough to really be a good resource, but I know what I've liked so far. The dessert at 1924 Main probably tops the list so far: I had a gingerbread waffle with spiced apple compote and cream cheese ice cream... excellent blend of flavors and textures. My boyfriend had the chocolate molten cake with espresso ice cream (I think it was espresso.) I wanted his over mine, but I was a good girl and dealt with the cards I had chosen! I really wanted to try the Christopher Elbow Chocolates, but could not attempt the port wine it came with!

My favorite restaurant, while not in KC in actuality, Pachamama's, always disappoints me on desserts. :sad: They always sound interesting, but then they kind of bore me. Don't get me wrong... they're always "good," but to me the appetizers and entrees go above and beyond and the desserts just fall flat.

As far as consistency in desserts, Yia Yia's is probably my favorite, although, they did get rid of my favorite dessert... the apple pie, and sometimes their desserts lack imagination.

So, what are your favorites? Tell me where I need to beg my boyfriend to take me next!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Sorry, I'm usually the exact opposite - would rather skip dessert and have more veggies... That being said, I am a sucker for ice cream. Although I have yet to find somewhere that doles out gelatos like the gelateries in Italy or Argentina, I have found a pleasant little store in Parkville called "The Sweet Guy." They have a limited, but creative list of light and delightfully creamy "gelatos." I know it's not a dessert in a restaurant, but, if you can hold off after a meal and make your way to Parkville, I think you'll be pleased. (They also have a shelf of truffles).

Sweet eats!

U.E.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Sorry, I'm usually the exact opposite - would rather skip dessert and have more veggies... That being said, I am a sucker for ice cream.  Although I have yet to find somewhere that doles out gelatos like the gelateries in Italy or Argentina, I have found a pleasant little store in Parkville called "The Sweet Guy."  They have a limited, but creative list of light and delightfully creamy "gelatos."  I know it's not a dessert in a restaurant, but, if you can hold off after a meal and make your way to Parkville, I think you'll be pleased.  (They also have a shelf of truffles).

Sweet eats!

U.E.

Yes, I've been there... how could I resist a place devoted to sweets?!? I had the dessert sampler, I think it came with cheesecake, creme brulee, and a flourless chocolate cake. It was very good... I usually don't care for creme brulee but it was excellent!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

I'm afraid I have to side with UE on this one, so I don't feel terribly qualified to weigh-in (pun intended) on desserts. On the recommendation of Zeemanb we ordered the molten sugar cake at Pachamama's and I thought it was quite good -- for a dessert.

About the only times I eat desserts are when I indulge in a tasting menu and even then I am more likely to take it 'to go' and have it with coffee the next morning. With that qualifier, I think Megan Garrelts' offerings at bluestem are quite good. I also took some of her work with me to a party after dinner one night and my friends who *are* dessert-hounds practically fought over them, so I took that as an endorsement (and made a mental note to start hanging around a better class of people :wink: ).

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I use to love eating cold sweets like popscicles when I was very young and then when I was about 10, I insisted that I had a "side pocket" just for desserts and that was the story i told my parents.. :raz:

Then when I was about 16/17 I worked the Pastry Station at 40 Sardines and I wasn't fond of handling pastry and sweets but I knew I had to learn the art of it, especially with who I consider my pastry mentor, Debbie Gold. For a while I kept thinking to my self that I wasnt a big fan of desserts even though now that I look back on it that I probably hold the record for the most desserts eaten from the 40 sardines kitchen, you cant blame me... I had to test everything out! :biggrin:

I love to eat food and I was afraid to let people know this and after spending time out in Denver, I some how learned to be comfortable about it. I love to eat food and I let everyone know this when I have the chance to try out some tasty bites. When it came to desserts, I usually just passed it up and now I praise every all the pastry chefs and aspiring pastry chefs from school and industry locations. I love a good chocolate chip cookie with cold milk.

Here are some favorites of mine in KC:

Blue Stem have the best innovative desserts in KC

40 Sardines have more traditional desserts in a modern display with very good ingredients

Tatsu's has very well executed classical desserts. My favorites like: Tiramisu, Chocolate Mousse, Cherry Delight, and Cherry Ice Cream Parfait. They taste so good you forget about the lack of "modernism". I would say those desserts are "sexy" but nothing ground breaking.

Sushi House at Town Center Plaza, has my favorite Japanese treat, Adzuki Bean Ice Cream and they also have the Mochi Ice Cream which is pretty good.

Andres, although its been a while since my last visit, they usually have some nice cakes and chocolates, although I went to the one in Denver and I didnt think the qaulity was there like it was in KC, im not sure if its the same now.

Chris Elbow's Chocolates are amazing, I've only had his work at the American Restaurant at the James Beard Dinner and one cooking class. I've herd he was a candidate for World Pasty Olympics.

Edited by JWest (log)

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

40 Sardines have more traditional desserts in a modern display with very good ingredients

I really need to try 40 Sardines again... I just wasn't impressed my first and only time. We had what was I think their signature dessert... I think like a hot chocolate souffle cake of some sort. I thought it was overpriced, incredibly miniscule, and not that fantastic, but I also couldn't really enjoy my dinner because, at the time, I was worried about how much we were spending! I know, not a good excuse, but now is a different time! I will try again!

Thanks for your other recommendations... I have not tried any of them, so I am excited to get out there! Maybe I need to do a dessert tour of KC! :wink: That's my kind of night!

I think that dessert is not necessarily my favorite part of a dinner, but I think it's the part I'm most intrigued by. I see all the pastries and wonderfully creative desserts here on egullet and it amazes me what people can do with food. I just think desserts are often a missed opportunity to do something really outrageous and exciting, but maybe I'm expecting too much!

I really need to try 40 Sardines again... I just wasn't impressed my first and only time. We had what was I think their signature dessert... I think like a hot chocolate souffle cake of some sort. I thought it was overpriced, incredibly miniscule, and not that fantastic, but I also couldn't really enjoy my dinner because, at the time, I was worried about how much we were spending! I know, not a good excuse, but now is a different time! I will try again!

Thanks for your other recommendations... I have not tried any of them, so I am excited to get out there! Maybe I need to do a dessert tour of KC! :wink: That's my kind of night!

I think that dessert is not necessarily my favorite part of a dinner, but I think it's the part I'm most intrigued by. I see all the pastries and wonderfully creative desserts here on egullet and it amazes me what people can do with food. I just think desserts are often a missed opportunity to do something really outrageous and exciting, but maybe I'm expecting too much!

I too havent always enjoyed my dessert at 40 sardines, I think they are usually hit or miss. Although I find it opposite, I think that most of their desserts are quite large, but that might be because I usually have 5 courses (Chef's Tasting Menu) when I eat their. After 3 or 4 bites I grow tired of what I am eating in a restaurant setting. I also like it when everyone gets different desserts so everyone can try out different flavors and you will usually find a favorite pretty quickly. About the pricing, I think you get a great deal with the "chef's Tasting menu" because it averages out to about 11 dollars per course and you get to eat a little more :biggrin:

This brings a point that I have discussed with a few people about restaurants and their food. Unfortunately right now, there aren't very many "Pastry Chefs" in this industry as much as therer are in the "Chefs" scheme of things.

Kansas City obviously doesn't showcase the best pastry/desserts in the nation much less world. The competition isn't very high as compared to other major cities. I believe the more competitive, creative, and highly focused dessert menus there are, the better the desserts are going to be in a general view of KC. Because the competition isn't very intense, the desserts reflect that.

This is also why I think that when the day I reach my dream of owning my restaurant, I would want to have more competitive restaurants around in my time. I think this helps everyone grow much more in all aspects of the restaurant business.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Blue Stem have the best innovative desserts in KC

If any of you have been to TRU in Chicago, then you'll definitely note the Gand training in M. Garrelts' creations.

Andres, although its been a while since my last visit, they usually have some nice cakes and chocolates, although I went to the one in Denver and I didnt think the qaulity was there like it was in KC, im not sure if its the same now.

I never appreciated Andres for what they are truly worth when I was (very) young... only when I "refined" my palate through a multitude of travels abroad did I come to really esteem the work and the very honestly traditional metier that they ply there. I think they're truly a remarkable enterprise. I'm not a fan of buttercream (too rich for even my palate), but it is very high quality. (Here, I speak only of their desserts. I don't have enough experience with their food (lately) to comment.). Lots of care in what they make - and for that, I truly appreciate their products.

U.E.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

after having a multiple course dessert last night at Bluestem, they are putting some nice stuff on the table. They are attractively presented and they taste good. Sometimes I have seen presentations that were knockouts but had flat tastes, not so here. THe lady apple and pumpkin mousse presentation was excellent and the chocolate cake, chocolate sorbet and passion fruit souffle was also a nice balance in flavors, temperatures and textures. Plus, I liked their cheese course, interesting cheeses including one that I had never tasted before. Love me some stinky cheese.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I'm not a big dessert person either, but I do always make sure everyone tries a different one at Bluestem. I had an apple donut last fall that made enough of an impression for me to remember it a year later, so that is a pretty big deal to me.

I will submit the ever-changing selection of sorbets at Lidia's as something I always manage to try when I'm there.

Asked my girlfriend, since she's the dessert freak out of the two of us, and of all things the flourless chocolate cake at La Bodega came to mind immediately.

Jerry

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

• 1 month later...
I will submit the ever-changing selection of sorbets at Lidia's as something I always manage to try when I'm there.

I'd have to agree. Their sorbets are more granite and crystalized in texture - which I prefer to the syrupy mushy factory-produced stuff that I unfortunately encounter too many other places.

I have to commend Le Fou Frog on their sorbets in this regard too - and they often have very interesting flavors.

Ulterior Epicure.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Don't forget Boulangerie Philippe in Prairie Village for takeaway.

il

P.S.  Sushi House orders all their desserts from a large food vendor.

Maybe I'll make my own instead :wink: even though I can never find any of the sushi places that offer the adzuki ice cream besides them

Maybe I'll make my own instead  :wink:  even though I can never find any of the sushi places that offer the adzuki ice cream besides them

"them," meaning sushi house? you can't find adzuki bean ice cream anywhere else in k.c.? hmmm.. let me think on this one...

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Maybe I'll make my own instead  :wink:  even though I can never find any of the sushi places that offer the adzuki ice cream besides them

"them," meaning sushi house? you can't find adzuki bean ice cream anywhere else in k.c.? hmmm.. let me think on this one...

u.e.

A few places served it but it seems like they all stopped and stuck with just green tea ice cream.

A few places served it but it seems like they all stopped and stuck with just green tea ice cream.

unconfirmed - but i do remember someone in my party ordering adzuki bean ice cream at kato in the northland (barry road and i-29 in the boardwalk shopping strip).

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account