• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Teppanyaki ?

guppymo

Hi guppymo! I've not started yet but will likely start playing with this soon. I recently got an All-Clad non-stick double burner griddle that I thought may work for this. (it does fabulous pancakes!) When we remodel our kitchen I'm hoping to get a double sized griddle (24x24?) on my new cooktop. I can't recall if it is made by Wolfe or someone else at the moment but that one really gets my enthusiasm up!

Are you making teppanyaki at home yet? Any favorites?

Hi guppymo!  I've not started yet but will likely start playing with this soon.  I recently got an All-Clad non-stick double burner griddle that I thought may work for this.  (it does fabulous pancakes!)  When we remodel our kitchen I'm hoping to get a double sized griddle (24x24?) on my new cooktop.  I can't recall if it is made by Wolfe or someone else at the moment but that one really gets my enthusiasm up!

Are you making teppanyaki at home yet?  Any favorites?

Genny, wow cool. I am still waiting for the shipment of my an electric Tiger Teppanyaki griddle that I ordered online. I am still researching ingredients, and recipes for the teppanyaki sauces, hopefully once I start cooking this dish I will have some pix and recipes to share.

Gup

[...] I am still researching ingredients, and recipes for the teppanyaki sauces, hopefully once I start cooking this dish I will have some pix and recipes to share.

I use a portable indoor grill made of cast iron. Like this one. On one side it has grids and the other side is flat. Very convenient. I set it on top of a camping stove (2 burners) which runs on kerosene. Because of exhaust concerns, we only do this in our backyard patio and not in the dining room. Works pretty well. There are other small stoves designed for Asian "hot pot" indoor that you can buy. They run on gas, sold in small canisters. The only draw back: I have only seen single burner models and it's not strong enough to heat up my indoor grill.

Isn't teppanyaki (e.g. beef) very similar to Vietnamese charboiled beef slices? :biggrin: Maybe just use Japanese soy sauce instead of fish sauce to marinate and you are in business. :wink:

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

[...] I am still researching ingredients, and recipes for the teppanyaki sauces, hopefully once I start cooking this dish I will have some pix and recipes to share.

I use a portable indoor grill made of cast iron. Like this one. On one side it has grids and the other side is flat. Very convenient. I set it on top of a camping stove (2 burners) which runs on kerosene. Because of exhaust concerns, we only do this in our backyard patio and not in the dining room. Works pretty well. There are other small stoves designed for Asian "hot pot" indoor that you can buy. They run on gas, sold in small canisters. The only draw back: I have only seen single burner models and it's not strong enough to heat up my indoor grill.

Isn't teppanyaki (e.g. beef) very similar to Vietnamese charboiled beef slices? :biggrin: Maybe just use Japanese soy sauce instead of fish sauce to marinate and you are in business. :wink:

Hehe, 10 more days to the delivery date of my griddle. I can't wait. Yeah, I think I'd like to try making a few different dipping sauces for the teppanyaki dish.

This guy I'm kind of seeing has a Viking range and it has a teppanyaki grill in the center, in between the gas burners. I haven't had a chance to try it out, but soon, I hope!

That is the one Ling. It is gorgeous! I salivate over the damn thing whenever we go to the local Great Indoors, they have a model there. Let us know when you take it for a test drive!

:hmmm: "kind of" seeing? :smile: