• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stock

Soup

For chicken, the whole chicken (I've not been able to find a source for feet and backs in NOVA area).

I'm assuming NOVA means Northern VA, right? I just bought 11 lbs of chicken today because I'm almost out of chicken stock. All drumsticks, at the Super H Korean market in Fairfax across from Paul VI high school on Rt 50. The price was 0.49/lb :raz:. In a way I feel guilty using up the drumsticks and wasting the meat, but the only other option that you can always count on is to drive down to the Eastern Market in DC, but with drumsticks this cheap, it isn't worth the drive down to DC.

I've found that if I take a cleaver and split about 6 to 10 of the drumsticks in half, I get a very gelatinous stock even without the feet (which I haven't been able to find anywhere except at Eastern Market).

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne." John Maynard Keynes

I'm lucky enough to live within an hour of the Bell and Evans plant. I make periodic trips there and pick up a case of chicken backs for $0.19/lb. I freeze them in 10# bags, and always have them on hand for stock. Last week I found a butcher shop that keeps frozen chicken feet on hand, so my next batch will be even better yet :)

For chicken, the whole chicken (I've not been able to find a source for feet and backs in NOVA area).

I'm assuming NOVA means Northern VA, right?

NOVA is Northern VA. $.49 is great price on the legs. I was just at Super H on Sunday but I didn't pick up any stock material. Actually I did pick up dried fish and Kombu and made excellent stock for bean sprout soup. Really turned out well (after a couple of tries).

Does splitting the bone open give you a more gelatinous stock?

Soup