• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Tempering Machines

rookie

Thanks Kerry.  I guessed that that was the case, and my test temperatures at the various settings proved the guess.

My first trial run went pretty well.  The first time around I tried doing what you and Vanessa had talked about - doing a partial melt then stirring the leftovers in.  But I didn't get a good temper - maybe not enough fresh chocolate in the mix.  So I turned the heat back up, and reseeded, and that time got temper.  I was only working with a couple pounds of chocolate - I can see that if I'm going to fill up the whole thing, it's going to take a LONG time to melt.  Sometimes that might work with my timeline, but I can see that there will be days when I'll need to melt in a double boiler and just use this for holding it at the working temperature.

And I'm in love with using a heat gun (hair dryer for me, actually) for giving it that little bit of a hit.  This was my first time trying it and it worked so well!

I don't know if we've talked about it on this thread before, but you can put the chocolate in the night before with the lid on at the working temperature or a bit above, in the morning, just stir, check the temper and go. A couple of days of experimentation will tell you what temperature you need to turn it to the night before. Too low and it isn't melted at all (but it is pretty warm and melts really quickly when you turn it up). Don't be shaken by the layer of oil that appears on top, it just stirs in no problem.

I usually do that , when I need to work for more days in a row.My basement is pretty cold , so I need to keep it higher , because it doesnt melt that easy down there ( I keep a little eletric heater next to it ).It works pretty well and speed the process quite nicely.

Vanessa

Since I'm using a rented kitchen, I'm not sure I'll be able to set it up the night before, but I'll definitely consider it in my scheduling - not sure how they'd feel about having it unattended, even at such a low heat.

But I'll definitely keep that in mind for when I'm just messing around at home!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

I think the reason the dial turns past where you think it should before the light comes on is because of 'hysteresis.' If you’re trying to control the temperature of an object (e.g. a room or a mass of chocolate) you don’t want the heater to fluctuate on/off when you’re basically at the correct temp. Hysteresis is a way of dampening out the boundary condition; otherwise, you overshoot your target temp and have to start your tempering over. Hope that makes some sense.

Like Kerry and Vanessa, I also start the melting process the night before. Especially if I want to get an early start the next day; otherwise, I'm waiting 3 or more hours before the chocolate is all melted...

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

we have three or four of these mol d'art melters on at work 24/7. just give the chocolate a stir now and again to make sure it isn't too hot on the bottom while setting up on the top. the chef who uses the chocolate the most doesn't seem to think it is a problem. just seed if necessary.

if the melter is super full, i just put some seed in a bowl and ladle some from the melter over it and use that until the melter is a little lower and i can add more seed to it to bring it back into temper.

Since I'm using a rented kitchen, I'm not sure I'll be able to set it up the night before, but I'll definitely consider it in my scheduling - not sure how they'd feel about having it unattended, even at such a low heat. 

Hey Tammy , how it is going with the kitchen and the business.Let me know how are you liking it , making chocolates in a different kitchen and with the limited time.That is my biggest worry .Its almost worth to turn my basement into a lab :laugh::wacko:

Vanessa

Hey Tammy , how it is going with the kitchen and the business.Let me know how are you liking it , making chocolates in a different kitchen and with the limited time.That is my biggest worry .Its almost worth to turn my basement into a lab :laugh::wacko:

I'm still waiting to get all of my paperwork in order. I have my DBA and my sales tax license. I've filed for my food establishment license, and am planning to call today to see what the status is on that. I have an estimate for insurance, but I need to talk to them about it, because I don't think it's quite what I need.

My first time using the kitchen will be either this coming weekend or the next one, assuming I get the paperwork in line. I've been doing a lot of thinking about how best to maximize my time there.

The place I'm using is having a big anniversary party for their customers later in February, and has invited me to attend and hand out some chocolates. They're including me in their newsletter and everything. Should be a good advertising opportunity. Now I just need to get my flyers and business cards made by then!

Oh, and I got my first order from someone who isn't either a friend/ neighbor/ coworker or a direct friend of a friend/ neighbor/ coworker. I made up the gift baskets for a science fiction convention I was helping to run last week, and included a little box with each of my four Valentine's Day chocolates. One of the guests took it home and gave it to a friend of there, who found my website and ordered 3 boxes of 12 to be shipped to her siblings. So that was really exciting!

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Veryy cool!! I know exciting .

Well I hope the papers will be ready on time so you can get started and get the feeling for everything you need to do .Keep us update on that,its very neat to see a business start up and growning.Best of luck :smile:

Vanessa

• 10 months later...

There are a variety of them available on Ebay

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

• 2 months later...

Yesterday the restaurtant received one matfer r15 tempering machine (15kg) with the motor and wheel. This is my first machine and while I'm sure in time I will figure out what works best for me but right now I'm looking to expedite the process.

first of all, the temp display reads not the chocolate but the air beneath the pan. I still haven't figured out what temps are best to melt and keep at a stable working temp, I am working in a temperature controlled room and of course have a probe therm in the chocolate. this doesn't seem to be a issue for those with mol d'art melter.

the second annoyance which I realize I *might* get used to is the pour spout isn't quite long enough to pour on a standard sized mold easily as let's say pouring from a bowl. If anyone has any tips on this...

I'm used to pouring from a bowl without making a mess but yesterday on my first try the mess I made was quite embarassing.

now, being that my employer purchased the motor and wheel I feel compelled to use them...but right now it seems I should have went with a mol'dart melting container at a 1/3 of the cost...

what I hoping to avoid was using a ladle simply because too many items in the chocolate (therm, spat & ladle) irritate me. If someone can convince me this is the best route I will try it for more than a day and if anyone has any tips they would be greatly appreciated.

www.adrianvasquez.net

• 2 months later...

For those of you thinking about buying a chocovision machine, think twice. I won a used 3210x on ebay and it broke within four days. I sent it in to be fixed, they recieved it on the 12th and I heard nothing from them until I called on the 19th. I hear nothing until the 30th when I called again, they said it was ready and I would get an email letting me know when it was shipped. As of today I have heard nothing. I'm very dissapointed in the lack of service. Is there another place that these machines can be fixed?

Did you send it to Chocovision to be fixed ?  Usually they are pretty good in letting you know when it will be shipped. ( When you call and ask that is.)

I have sent 2 machines at different times to them. The only problem I had was when they were very backed up over Christmas it took a while to get the machine fixed. Theyy did not communicate this issue & I had to call to find that out.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

• 6 months later...

Probably very few of you out there use a Chocovision Revolation Tempering machine to temper chocolate, but just in case you do...

The metal probe on the baffle of my machine became loose after about 15 uses. I might have knocked it, although I don't think so. I treated the machine as if it were made of fine crystal. As soon as the probe became loose, the machine ceased to operate properly. :sad: It was useless as designed and I went back to tempering by hand.

I phoned the Chocovision people to order a new baffle...about $58...and was surprised to have the very helpful man say that my machine was still under warranty...although I had bought it from Ebay at about HALF the regular price and it came with no warranty. No, not surprised...SHOCKED! :shock: He was sending me a new baffle FREE!! :smile:

The baffle arrived yesterday...still to be tested in about 5 minutes...and the design is much changed. Instead of a little fat metal rod sticking directly out of the plastic, the probe is now a much longer plastic coated metal probe, coming out of the baffle on an angle, with only the last little bit of the probe bare metal. This elongated probe is now visibly and heavily glued in place, with glue showing at the base of the probe and a different configuration on the back side of the probe...no longer simply a plastic bump.

It would appear as if the original design left a lot to be desired :angry: and that the company has changed the design fairly radically...no doubt on the backs of MANY similar mishaps as mine.

So, if you have one of these machines, with the little fat originaly metal probe, do get in touch with Chocovision. :smile::smile:

10:45 MST. Yay! :wub::wub: It worked and the sun has also come out.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Probably very few of you out there use a Chocovision Revolation Tempering machine to temper chocolate, but just in case you do...

The metal probe on the baffle of my machine became loose after about 15 uses.  I might have knocked it, although I don't think so.  I treated the machine as if it were made of fine crystal.  As soon as the probe became loose, the machine ceased to operate properly.  :sad: It was useless as designed and I went back to tempering by hand.

I phoned the Chocovision people to order a new baffle...about $58...and was surprised to have the very helpful man say that my machine was still under warranty...although I had bought it from Ebay at about HALF the regular price and it came with no warranty.  No, not surprised...SHOCKED!  :shock: He was sending me a new baffle FREE!! :smile:

The baffle arrived yesterday...still to be tested in about 5 minutes...and the design is much changed.  Instead of a little fat metal rod sticking directly out of the plastic, the probe is now a much longer plastic coated metal probe, coming out of the baffle on an angle, with only the last little bit of the probe bare metal.  This elongated probe is now visibly and heavily glued in place, with glue showing at the base of the probe and a different configuration on the back side of the probe...no longer simply a plastic bump.

It would appear as if the original design left a lot to be desired  :angry: and that the company has changed the design fairly radically...no doubt on the backs of MANY similar mishaps as mine.

So, if you have one of these machines, with the little fat originaly metal probe, do get in touch with Chocovision.  :smile:  :smile:

10:45 MST.  Yay!  :wub:  :wub:  It worked and the sun has also come out.

Thanks for your post. I've had a Rev 2 for about 2 years and have enjoyed using it. I have 2 sets of bowls/baffles etc. and haven't had the problems you've reported. What I typically have to do is to watch the prongs on the baffle cross-member which plugs the baffle into the machine. If you're not careful, these prongs can be bent and require a bit of minor adjustment.

Good luck with your machine!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Thanks for your post.  I've had a Rev 2 for about 2 years and have enjoyed using it.  I have 2 sets of bowls/baffles etc. and haven't had the problems you've reported.  What I typically have to do is to watch the prongs on the baffle cross-member which plugs the baffle into the machine.  If you're not careful, these prongs can be bent and require a bit of minor adjustment.

Good luck with your machine!

Brilliant idea. :biggrin: I wish that I had had it. When we get back here in March, I'll order a second bowl and baffle.

I do know about the prongs! Little devils. :wacko: They were a tad bent, but still working fine. It was that fat little metal nubbin down at the bottom of the baffle which transmits the temperature. It had become loose-ish and was no longer making proper contact. As noted, the new baffle has a Mother of all glued temperature gauges now and you'd have to take a hammer to it to dislodge it. Well, I do exaggerate a bit... :wink:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I have 2 Chocovision Rev 2. The first one I bought has now developed a problem of no heat. I'd like to get it repaired. I've read on this forum how helpful Chocovision is regarding service. Can anyone give me a contact information for someone they dealt with? It seems it's always best to go directly to someone who is willing to help.

I have 2 Chocovision Rev 2.  The first one I bought has now developed a problem of no heat.  I'd like to get it repaired.  I've read on this forum how helpful Chocovision is regarding service.  Can anyone give me a contact information for someone they dealt with?  It seems it's always best to go directly to someone who is willing to help.

Hi Sue,

I called their 1-800-324-6252 number in Poughkeepsie, NY. M-F 9:00-5:00 EST. (Of course, if you go to their website, there are others ways to contact them.) Then you get the usual menu to choose from.

I would suggest that you go to #2 Technical Support or #3 Customer Support. On these two lines you are likely to get Matthew Demoto, the gentleman who was so incredibly helpful to me. I left a message and he called me back very soon.

(When I return to Moab in the spring, I am going to order a second baffle and bowl as suggested by Lebowitz...a brilliant idea.)

Good luck. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm assuming if you buy a used Chocovision machine that if it is within the warranty period that the warranty would still be honoured?

If anyone is considering a used Chocovision X 3210 send me a PM for the contact information to the person who wants to sell it.

• 2 years later...

Hi all, I know this topic has been covered previously as I've been reading the forums (yet not posting) for many months now. However I am coming at this from a slightly different angle.

There are many tempering machines available to our American cousins, but only a very limited number are available in the UK. Of the available machines, which would you say is the best for a small start-up with no clients as yet?

I want to start small as it's cash from my pocket, and then if successful move up to something which can contain more chocolate for dipping.

Thanks for any advice, and I'm so jealous of all the items available to the US market that is either highly infalted in the UK or simply not available!

Thanks

Sian

Sian

"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy chocolate, and that's kinda the same thing really."

Looks like Vantage House has some units - here.

Kerry, note that the Rev 2 has a "cheapest" UK price of £399 + tax (20%) + delivery.

So, at least £480 which today Google says is US$ 775.

That's a significant investment when you have "no clients as yet".

But I believe that machine does come well recommended.

Has anyone had any joy using a sous vide setup for chocolate tempering?

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan