• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Tempering Machines

rookie

I have a mol d'art but I bought it from Qzina, so I don't have any advice about buying from them directly. I do love my melter, it holds temper for a long time. I have the 6kg one. You will have to experiment with it, I find my thermostat is a little picky. To hold chocolate, I leave it at 34-35, any hotter and it seems to be way too hot, and any lower and it gets cold fast. I'm trying to say that mine has a narrow point where I find it workable, and the temp is higher than what I thought it would be. I think every thermostat will have its own sweet spot and you'll have to find yours.

Jean-Pierre Wybauw used the 12kg melters at the three day advanced chocolate class I took in Chicago last week (full trip report to follow in a couple days). He stated that you need to learn where the thermostat should be set for each individual melter as they will all be a bit different, and not to worry if it appears to be "off" what it should be.

He tweaked the thermostat in half degree increments to dial in the proper setting for each of the melters, saying that he turns it just until the heating light comes on and checks the result.

Additionally you need to stir it occasionally as chocolate is a good insulator and the top will cool off with the bottom of the pan still at the set temperature. He stated that the chocolate will slowly thicken anyway if left at the "proper" temperature because the crystals will propogate. He occasionally hit it with a heat gun to melt out some of the excess crystals. He said you could also raise the temp by a half degree at a time to keep the excess crystals in check, or add untempered melted chocolate.

Using this method he kept three melters in temper for the seven hour day with very little work. The initial tempering via the seeding method went very quickly as well. All that has convinced me to go the Mol D'art melter route myself. I have a Chocovision Rev2 which works fine, but is far too small for the kind of work I would like to do. My next problem is to determine how many melters I need...

I was going to go to that as well, but things came up and was unable to. I imagined he had a lot to say.

...My next problem is to determine how many melters I need...

why, you need one for each kind of chocolate you're tempering! :biggrin:

they're a bit expensive. may be off topic, but i'm wondering if you can get good used melters...

It could get expensive if I use Bittersweet, Semi-sweet, milk, and white. Does everyone leave the chocolate in the melter pans? Is it possible to buy additional pans so I could swap them into the base when I need them? I'm thinking that four pans and two bases would be enough for my hobby operation as I could probably get away with only two types of chocolate tempered at one time. I've got the Rev2 I could use to temper a small bit of another type for decorating.

It could get expensive if I use Bittersweet, Semi-sweet, milk, and white.  Does everyone leave the chocolate in the melter pans?  Is it possible to buy additional pans so I could swap them into the base when I need them?  I'm thinking that four pans and two bases would be enough for my hobby operation as I could probably get away with only two types of chocolate tempered at one time.  I've got the Rev2 I could use to temper a small bit of another type for decorating.

if it is just for a hobby, why is everyone so shy about just using a microwave and a heating pad and some bowls?

i made tempered chocolate candies for a friend's wedding (1600 pieces) using exactly that method with no real problems. any problems i did have were not with the method of tempering or holding but with my ambient temperature and limitations with counter space in my kitchen.

i talk to pros all the time who don't use tempering machines. the holding/melting bins like mol d'art makes are nice to have but definitely a luxury item.

my low tech set up (the microwave is built into my apartment) cost me about $20...that way, i can spend money on chocolate and other inexpensive toys.

but anyway, i'm sure you can get extra pans. don't know about the compatibility of regular hotel pans, but they probably don't use those so that they can charge more money for replacement parts that are unique to their product.

I think I didn't say what I thought about chocovision clearly enough...sorry about that.

Whenever I had to get things fixed they were always very pleasant to work with but the machines where always breaking on us and a few times they didn't have the parts to fix them. They were always doing their best to please us though. Personally as a chococlatier I just don't think it is the best built machine there is....but that's my opinion.

-Robert

www.chocolateguild.com

Ok. After waiting 2 months for Chocovision to get in a refurbished X3210 machine, which was suppose to be in two weeks after my inquiry, it never came in. So I ended up biting the bullet and ordered a new one. But unfortionately after paying for the machine they informed me they didn't have any in stock and it would be 3 weeks before I get one. This blows my mind that a manufacturer doesn't stock the product they manufacture. Anyway, long story short, I cancelled my order. Sorry for my rant.

Anyway, I'm going to buy a melter from Mol D'Art. My questions for you all is has anyone ever bought from them? They don't take credit cards, so I have to wire the money. Are they easy to deal with? Please let me know any experiences, because I want to place my order in the next couple days.

Thanks in advace.

Can't help you with Mol D'Art itself, I purchased mine from Qzina in Toronto. So credit card was fair game.

There is an e-bay vendor that sells Mol D'Art products for a good price. Here.

David, I'm looking forward to your Wybauw report. He really is amazing isn't he.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

if it is just for a hobby, why is everyone so shy about just using a microwave and a heating pad and some bowls?

i made tempered chocolate candies for a friend's wedding (1600 pieces) using exactly that method with no real problems.  any problems i did have were not with the method of tempering or holding but with my ambient temperature and limitations with counter space in my kitchen.

i talk to pros all the time who don't use tempering machines.  the holding/melting bins like mol d'art makes are nice to have but definitely a luxury item.

my low tech set up (the microwave is built into my apartment) cost me about $20...that way, i can spend money on chocolate and other inexpensive toys.

Can you elaborate on your setup? One of the things I liked about the melter was its wide opening which allows you to tip a mold over and let it drain back in without making a mess. The other was the large capacity which would allow for filling several molds at one time. Right now I am limited to a single tray at a time due to the small capacity of my Rev2, and I would like to be able to fill a dozen or more at a time.

Like Kerry and choux, I bought my Mol d'Art from Qzina. I was very lucky and got a used (used once) machine at discount. I can't remember exactly what I paid for it, but I know it was at least $100 off a new machine.

It does take a little getting used to the thermostat. I've taken a few classes with Jean-Pierre, and I heeded his advice to not pay attention to what the thermostat reads, but just to pay attention to the light. I can tell by look and feel what kind of 'condition' my chocolate is at any given point, so if I think I need a little more heat, I just turn it up until the light comes on. I'll then adjust it back down a bit once my chocolate is in the 'sweet spot.'

I love this machine. I can hold my temper for a very long time with no problems.

i made tempered chocolate candies for a friend's wedding (1600 pieces) using exactly that method with no real problems.  any problems i did have were not with the method of tempering or holding but with my ambient temperature and limitations with counter space in my kitchen.

i talk to pros all the time who don't use tempering machines.  the holding/melting bins like mol d'art makes are nice to have but definitely a luxury item.

Can you elaborate on your setup? One of the things I liked about the melter was its wide opening which allows you to tip a mold over and let it drain back in without making a mess. The other was the large capacity which would allow for filling several molds at one time. Right now I am limited to a single tray at a time due to the small capacity of my Rev2, and I would like to be able to fill a dozen or more at a time.

if you're doing a dozen or more molds at a time, then it would probably be best to get a melter/holding tank setup. if you get a pretty large stainless bowl, you can keep a large amount of chocolate in temper without too much trouble as the larger mass will hold the heat better than a small mass. you nest the bowl inside another bowl, the heating pad sandwiched in between. i often use a hairdryer to melt down overcrystallization (which jpw does using a heat gun and the mol d'art melters).

since i love having toys, i'd love a mol d'art...that'll be my next "investment", but in the meantime, as i'm not doing a dozen or more (i don't think i even have a dozen molds), my setup works fine.

The ebay supplier for Mol D'art quoted me $38 US for additional pans so I could keep my different types of chocolate in their own pan and swap them into the melter when I want to work with a particular type. I think that I will start with one 6kg melter and add a second only if I find that I really want to work with large amounts of two types at once.

Question for those with melters: How many do you run at once?

At the JPW class at Notter's school lasat month, there were three mold'art machines running. Two 12Kg units (rectanular) and a 6Kg (round). The 12Kg had dark and milk while the 6Kg had white.

As others have mentioned, JPW said time and again not to go by temperature. You need to know what tempered chocolate looks and 'feels' like. The chocolate could be starting to thicken even though the temperature is correct. He was also quick to point out that a heat gun and a handy supply of pellets to warm or cool the chocolate in the machines was the best way to adjust the temperature.

Now if I could just swing the cash to buy a couple of these machines...

Dan

The ebay supplier for Mol D'art quoted me $38 US for additional pans so I could keep my different types of chocolate in their own pan and swap them into the melter when I want to work with a particular type.  I think that I will start with one 6kg melter and add a second only if I find that I really want to work with large amounts of two types at once.

Question for those with melters:  How many do you run at once?

I only have one, the time I tend to use it is when I'm molding lots of huge bunnies before easter. So I usually temper dark and white in the microwave then use the mol d'art for a large amount of milk.

The ebay supplier for Mol D'art quoted me $38 US for additional pans so I could keep my different types of chocolate in their own pan and swap them into the melter when I want to work with a particular type.  I think that I will start with one 6kg melter and add a second only if I find that I really want to work with large amounts of two types at once.

Question for those with melters:  How many do you run at once?

that's what i thought. consider that average price for standard hotel pans (which are probably not interchangeable with the mol d'art pans) is about $20 and often cheaper. they get you coming and going!

I don't know about the hotel pans, they look about the same size, but I haven't really had the time or need to check it out. Next time I head to the city to the restaurant supply store I will pick one up.

I have a mol d'art but I bought it from Qzina, so I don't have any advice about buying from them directly. I do love my melter, it holds temper for a long time. I have the 6kg one. You will have to experiment with it, I find my thermostat is a little picky. To hold chocolate, I leave it at 34-35, any hotter and it seems to be way too hot, and any lower and it gets cold fast. I'm trying to say that mine has a narrow point where I find it workable, and the temp is higher than what I thought it would be. I think every thermostat will have its own sweet spot and you'll have to find yours.

Jean-Pierre Wybauw used the 12kg melters at the three day advanced chocolate class I took in Chicago last week (full trip report to follow in a couple days). He stated that you need to learn where the thermostat should be set for each individual melter as they will all be a bit different, and not to worry if it appears to be "off" what it should be.

He tweaked the thermostat in half degree increments to dial in the proper setting for each of the melters, saying that he turns it just until the heating light comes on and checks the result.

Additionally you need to stir it occasionally as chocolate is a good insulator and the top will cool off with the bottom of the pan still at the set temperature. He stated that the chocolate will slowly thicken anyway if left at the "proper" temperature because the crystals will propogate. He occasionally hit it with a heat gun to melt out some of the excess crystals. He said you could also raise the temp by a half degree at a time to keep the excess crystals in check, or add untempered melted chocolate.

Using this method he kept three melters in temper for the seven hour day with very little work. The initial tempering via the seeding method went very quickly as well. All that has convinced me to go the Mol D'art melter route myself. I have a Chocovision Rev2 which works fine, but is far too small for the kind of work I would like to do. My next problem is to determine how many melters I need...

David,

I'm looking forward to your report since I'm interested in taking the same classs in march.

Ok. After waiting 2 months for Chocovision to get in a refurbished X3210 machine, which was suppose to be in two weeks after my inquiry, it never came in. So I ended up biting the bullet and ordered a new one. But unfortionately after paying for the machine they informed me they didn't have any in stock and it would be 3 weeks before I get one. This blows my mind that a manufacturer doesn't stock the product they manufacture. Anyway, long story short, I cancelled my order. Sorry for my rant.

Anyway, I'm going to buy a melter from Mol D'Art. My questions for you all is has anyone ever bought from them? They don't take credit cards, so I have to wire the money. Are they easy to deal with? Please let me know any experiences, because I want to place my order in the next couple days.

Thanks in advace.

Any idea how much they charge for shipping on one of the melters?

Edited by sote23 (log)

Thanks in advace.

I ordered two 6kg melters and it came out to 160 euro for shipping and it will be on my door in 3 days via DHL.

Thanks in advace.

I ordered two 6kg melters and it came out to 160 euro for shipping and it will be on my door in 3 days via DHL.

wow, 3 days, that is fast.