• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Tempering Machines

rookie

It's time of the year for candy making at my house and I'm looking for ways to make the process easier. We use a large amount of chocolate each year. So, here are my questions:

1) Is a chocolate tempering machine worth it? Does it work? I'm looking at the lower price models (under $400). Any recs?

2) I've been using Ghirardelli chocolate and like it. I get the 10 lb bars because the price is cheaper (about $2.00/lb). However, it's a pain breaking up the bar, even with the chocolate chipper we got at Sur La Table. Any suggestion on how we can go about breaking up the bar easier and quicker? Also, if not, any suggestion on a good subsitute that will be the same quality and roughly around the same price?

TIA  :smile:

I can't help re: tempering machines, but with for breaking up my 11kg bar of Callebaut, I left it in the wrapper and took a hammer to it. Great therapy. :cool:

• 6 months later...

Wha is the quality of this machine, if anyone knows,please let me know , I mean its out of my range at this momen but I am looking around , just let me know what do you think and if you any experience.

Thank you :smile:

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/chocolade-tempeer-...oQQcmdZViewItem

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

Wha is the quality of this machine, if anyone knows,please let me know , I mean its out of my range at this momen but I am looking around , just let me know what do you think and if you any experience.

Thank you :smile:

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/chocolade-tempeer-...oQQcmdZViewItem

Vanessa,

I don't know about that piece in particular, but a little closer to home check out Perfect Equipment. They use these ones at a Canadian chain of chocolate stores called the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Company. Also used by a friend of mine who runs the Manitoulin Chocolate Works. She is happy with hers, and plans to add a second along with an enrobing line.

I've used the Revolation and the Sinsation and they work well. As others mentioned, it doesn't hold all that much but for a home cook or small restaurant, it'd be fine.

You can rent one here before you make the leap here at Chocolateman (although you need to be in Seattle...but if you're planning a visit...))

If you use palets or pistoles in those machines, the disks climb up and pop out as the machine turns, so it's better to use a big chunk of chocolate.

Thank you David, for your feedback.I was wondering with the rev , I have seen many time people that used them complained about chocolate not getting perfectly temper on some occasion, and I am wondering if its just depends on what chocolate you use and have to get use to the machine .I can immagine working with a good amount of chocolate and be out of temper ,that would definatly irritate me :angry::raz: .Those are definatly more affordable as well in the event I have to buy one , wich I will probably do soon.

Vanessa

If you are looking at the Chocovision machines, you may also want to consider the American Chocolate Company tempering machines. The mechanism is similar, but uses a light bulb as the heat source. The cost is less than $800. The sinsation that I used to have was extremely noisy, sounded like a hair dryer going for hours on end. I gave it away last year, because I could only use it if I was alone in the house.

I did look at the larger chocovision machines at the PMCA this year, but I couldn't tell how noisy they were because of the surrounding noise at the trade show.

The one thing about the style of both the AMC and chocovision machines that bothers me is that if you are molding a plate of chocolates and go to dump the chocolate back into the unit as you invert the plate that you will get chocolate all over everything. It means one extra step of dumping the chocolate out on your counter, scraping it up again and back into the temperer. The tempering machines with the larger rectangular basin are more suited to dumping the chocolate back in a single step. (Of course a couple of thousand dollars goes a long way towards tolerating some inconvenience)

I agree with Kerry, the chocovisionn machine is a bit noisy. I believe this will be the case with almost any machine that has a rotating bowl verus the wheel as in the Perfect machine (I wish I could afford 1 & had a permanent workspace instead of a rental). I play music so this isn't too bad.

The other issue can be minimized if you tend to let molds drain out over one of the corners. it not very messy with a little practice. But again the machines with a big pan make this process much easier. I do like a heating element for melting chocolate better than a light bulb.

Another nice thing about the chocovision machine is the availability of a hopper that lets you load 10# of chocolate to melt and then do other things. You don't have to tend the machine as much.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Another nice thing about the chocovision machine is the availability of a hopper that lets you load 10# of chocolate to melt and then do other things. You don't have to tend the machine as much.

A hopper? Do you have a picture?

I agree with Kerry, the chocovisionn machine is a bit noisy. I believe this will be the case with almost any machine that has a rotating bowl verus the wheel as in the Perfect machine (I wish I could afford 1 & had a permanent workspace instead of a rental). I play music so this isn't too bad.

The other issue can be minimized if you tend to let molds  drain out over one of the corners. it not very messy with a little practice. But again the machines with a big pan make this process much easier. I do like a heating element for melting chocolate better than a light bulb.

Good point on the renting , that is going to be my case and a machine that I can move easily would be a better option at this point, even though those nice temperer with the wheel are soo tempting :biggrin:

Vanessa

I rent space & it takes approx 2 hrs for the chocolate to melt & temper. You also have to carry machine in & out everyday.

Ease of cleanup is another very important issue.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I'm a chocovision girl myself. They are perfect for carrying to a rental space or a demo location or whatever. They are noisy but I'm not really bothered by it. I have 3 of their machines and use them well.

They have really great customer service as well. I don't think you can find a better machine for the $.

I've used the Revolation and the Sinsation and they work well. As others mentioned, it doesn't hold all that much but for a home cook or small restaurant, it'd be fine.

I agree. I had the Revolation for awhile and enjoyed it so much, I purchased their larger "X" size (holds up to 10 lbs). I now use it extensively for making test batches of chocolate bars and other little projects around our shop.

They do take a little playing with to find the optimal temperature for your chocolate to get the perfect temper. However, this is is easily achived with their controls. Every chocolate is a bit different so they can't be faulted for the playing around bit.

They also have a new machine that they are coming out with sometime in the next couple months, that can keep the chocolate in temper almost indefinitely by fluctuating the temperature. Also, as I recall, it allows you to make programs for different chocolate types and projects. The target price, was around $2000 or so. (Please forgive me if I have any of these details wrong, I'm doing this from memory since they don't have any brochures for it yet.) As of two weeks ago, they were just getting their prototype in and hopefully, they will work through any issues quickly. I'll probably pick one up as soon as it is available.

-Art

Amano Artisan Chocolate

http://www.amanochocolate.com/

Thank you ,I thought that the chocovision needed a little bit of experimenting in order to get the right temper all the time , as you said dependes the chocolate.

I was wondering what is the real different between the two big ones ;

http://www.selectappliance.com/exec/ce-pro...ation-x3210-2pc

this one

http://www.selectappliance.com/exec/ce-pro...v_revolation-k5

and this one,other than 2500$.

Vanessa

I am not sure if they still make the K5 machine. You get some extra stuff with it but it is $2500 more. The best thing is that the controls are on top out of the way. If I was going to spend $3500 I would get the Perfect machine.

You can call them & ask for Amanda, she is very helpful & will answer all of your questions. 1-800-324-6252

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Our Chocovision X3210 was horribly noisy. After two years of service the motor burned out, so we sent it in to them to repair. They replaced the motor and gear box with the latest version and now the darn thing is so quiet it's downright spooky.

I hasten to add that our 3210 was an early model and we used it a lot. These machines are not prone to breaking down. However, if you buy a 3210 I recommend getting the extended warranty. It's like $300, but repairs can be costly.

The latest machines have a neat feature that melts chocolate in the bowl prior to spinning. This is useful if you've got a hardened pool from yesterday. You don't have to pull it out and break it up - just let the machine do the work for you. At the end of 30 mintues the bowl will start rotating.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Smith

Glacier Country

Our Chocovision X3210 was horribly noisy. After two years of service the motor burned out, so we sent it in to them to repair. They replaced the motor and gear box with the latest version and now the darn thing is so quiet it's downright spooky.

I hasten to add that our 3210 was an early model and we used it a lot. These machines are not prone to breaking down. However, if you buy a 3210 I recommend getting the extended warranty. It's like $300, but repairs can be costly.

The latest machines have a neat feature that melts chocolate in the bowl prior to spinning. This is useful if you've got a hardened pool from yesterday. You don't have to pull it out and break it up - just let the machine do the work for you. At the end of 30 mintues the bowl will start rotating.

Cheers,

Steve

Thank you Steve , I love to hear from you guys your experiences, its a investement better do my homeworks first , it seems all of you love your Rev .

Oh another question , do I need to buy it directly form the company or I can buy form another source ( cheaper ) , I mean for warranty and extend warranty pourpose?

Edited by Desiderio (log)

Vanessa

You can get it from a rep, the machine is sent from mfg. Call Chocovision, they sell refurbished machine w/warranty for $800 at times. I bought one. She aslo told me, you can get extended warranty at anytime. So you could actually wait for a breakdown & then get it. Then send in for repairs.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

You can get it from a rep, the machine is sent from mfg. Call Chocovision, they sell refurbished machine w/warranty for $800 at times. I bought one. She aslo told me, you can get extended warranty at anytime. So you could actually wait for a breakdown & then get it. Then send in for repairs.

Thank you :-)

Vanessa