• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe Writers and Their "Voice"

edemuth

I felt like I had met Barbara Tropp after reading her books, "The Modern Art of Chinese Cooking" and "China Moon". 

Her writing style is clear and upbeat in the books, and it conveys a strong passion and love for her subject in addition to extensive scholarship and experience.  There are many personal anecdotes accompanyhing  the recipes and also many of her own cooking 'trucs'.  In "China Moon", she also speaks often of the other people who worked with her at her restaurant in San Francisco and shares stories of starting and running the restaurant.  I was happy to get a chance to eat at China Moon twice before it closed in the mid-nineties.

I second this. Tropp's voice is scholarly, intimate, and humorous, all in one. I miss China Moon -- what a wonderful place to eat! And it's sad that she died so young. But at least there is the legacy of the books.

Laurie Colwin. It's a shame that she died young but I'm grateful for the body of work that she left behind.

Dorie Greenspan is another favorite.

After reading both of their books ("Home Cooking" and "Baking with Julia"), I've made a beeline to the kitchen to make dinner or dessert. Not because I'm hungry, but because I want to share the experiences that they are relishing in. Now, that's good writing.

P.S. Laurie's ribs are in the oven and I can't wait until dinner! :biggrin:

I felt like I had met Barbara Tropp after reading her books, "The Modern Art of Chinese Cooking" and "China Moon". 

I second this. Tropp's voice is scholarly, intimate, and humorous, all in one.

A lot of people feel this way, but she's a good example of someone whose voice really grates on me. Love both books and use them regularly, and I agree that her loss is very sad. But every time she says "impeccably clean," I dig my nails into my palms.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I second this. Tropp's voice is scholarly, intimate, and humorous, all in one.

A lot of people feel this way, but she's a good example of someone whose voice really grates on me. Love both books and use them regularly, and I agree that her loss is very sad. But every time she says "impeccably clean," I dig my nails into my palms.

Julia Child used "impeccably clean" a lot, too. I always thought she -- and Tropp -- both used it rather wryly.