• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turkish food in NYC

tighe

I visited NYC earlier this year and had a fantastic experience at a Turkish seafood restaurant on the Upper East Side called Dalga. Has anyone tried it? I'd love to hear what others think. Among the highlights for me were the deep-fried whole sardines and a whole grilled snapper, both cooked perfectly.

I'm returning to NYC in a few months and was wondering if there are other Turkish (or Middle Eastern) restaurants that I should try. Living in Seattle, the availability of good Middle Eastern food is, shall we say, limited. Thanks....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Tighe - I've eaten at Dalga and wasn't that impressed. It was mostly grilled fish and didn't seem to have much about it that was Turkish. The best Turkish restaurants I know of are not in Manhattan. For kebabs, doner, etc., Sahara in the Gravesend section of Brooklyn is the best place. But for more substantive cooking liked lamb shanks, baked fish etc., Nazar on Queens Blvd. in Sunnyside is the best. If you want to stay in Manhattan the best place is Pasha on 71st Street on the upper West Side.

For kebabs, doner, etc., Sahara in the Gravesend section of Brooklyn is the best place.

Sahara does seem to maintain a reputation as a good Turkish place in general. However, I received mixed reviews in the past and was never tempted to sample their cuisine until recently. I thought the food was average compared with another place (Taci’s Beyti, located nearby) I visited several years ago, but can’t vouch it is still as excellent as I remember. I plan to revisit Taci’s Beyti soon and report on my experience.

I've been to Taci Beyti many times, Not up to the level of Sahara.

Just to make sure that we are referring to the same place, the original name of the restaurant was ‘Kebab House’ and was changed relatively recently. It is located at 1955 Coney Island Ave. (Between Ave. P & Quentin Rd.) If this is the one, the “many times” you have been there is within what period of time?

No it's been called Taci Beyti for many years. I'm trying to remember who recommended it for the first time, maybe it was Sietsema or Leff? Hmmm, I can't remember. And it used to be on Coney Island Avenue a block from Kings Highway. I've been there at least 5 times. How about Mabat, the kosher Yemenite just off of Kings Highway on ....., I can't remember the street but it's one off of Ocean Parkway? Have you ever been there? That's good too, but kosher has its limits if you know what I mean.

Don't you dare try and outkebab me.

SP, although Dalga may not fit what constitutes Turkish food in the popular imagination, having spent a fair amount of time in the coastal areas of Turkey, I would assert that it is very authentic to what I had there. Turkish food thankfully extends well beyond kebabs.....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

No it's been called Taci Beyti for many years. I'm trying to remember who recommended it for the first time, maybe it was Sietsema or Leff? Hmmm, I can't remember. And it used to be on Coney Island Avenue a block from Kings Highway. I've been there at least 5 times. How about Mabat, the kosher Yemenite just off of Kings Highway on ....., I can't remember the street but it's one off of Ocean Parkway? Have you ever been there? That's good too, but kosher has its limits if you know what I mean.

Don't you dare try and outkebab me.

I love Mabat. Kosher has its limits, but man, that place is good. I think it's the best humus around.

I might add, if you go with a real Hebrew speaker (me, for example :-), it's quite different...

Tighe - Well of course they grill fish everywhere, including the south coast of Turkey. But if a restaurant passes themselves off as "Turkish," as Dalga does, there needs to be some connection in the food to it being Turkish. I promise you that if you went to Elias Corner which is a Greek fish jjoint in Astoria, you would come away feeling you just ate a Greek meal. But more importantly, Dalga was ordinary grilled fish. Afterwards my wife and I were able to repeat our too often used mantra of "no need to go back there." And it's too bad because I like eating Turkish, even Turkish fish. Go to Nazar it's better.

Nina - I try and avoid going anywhere with true Hebrew speakers. They chuch too much.