• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Most Expensive Chinese Dinners

sheetz

[...]

The regular Sharks Fin or Ginseng Soups are always expensive, but generally higher then any standard soups served. My favorite Sharks Fin choice of soup is called, Sharks Fin with Crab Fat (Crab Roe) and doesn't require the high quality Sharks Fin but still cost in the 1970's about (HK$) 150.00/200.00 per bowl and now costs about (US$) 125/175 per bowl. Remember this serving size will serve a table of 10/12 diners.

It's important to always take into consideration that the 2 highest per square foot rentals in the World are Hong Kong and the Ginza in Tokyo, Japan that need to be taken into account as it reflects pricing. In Hong Kong there are little or no locations with reasonable rents anywhere.

[...]

It is interesting. It is like that not only in Hong Kong, but in the USA, or in the rest of the world too.

There are places that you can have dinner for well excess of US$100 per person. Yet out on the street near the restaurant, somewhere, one can dine for 5% of that price and have not necessarily a bad meal.

For example, when I flew back to Hong Kong on my visits I didn't seek out for the most expensive shark fin soups (though I do like sitting at restaurants with great views). I was perfectly happy with having a small bowl of wonton soup, some beef tripes, a bowl of congee, a plate of cheung fun or even a simple egg sandwich - Hong Kong style anywhere on the street. I seek for great tastes, but typically not the rare or perceived high quality ingredients.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I've had a king crab that costed over $1000 USD. The crab was over 15kg in weight IIRC. However, that served like 15 people.

Do you think it worths the price? How was the king crab prepared?

If one believes that taking this piece of Wild Ginseng would make him/her live forever, or increases (for him) his manhood for the next 10 years, then I suppose no price is too high. 

I've heard there are "Black Market" banquets where certain banned foods like tiger's penis is served. These meals would certainly cost well in excess of US$1000 a head.

I've had a king crab that costed over $1000 USD. The crab was over 15kg in weight IIRC. However, that served like 15 people.

Shalmanese:

I observed that you in Australia, was the "King Crab" that you were served from the species of Crab caught off the coast of "Tasmania" ?

If it was this type of Crab its a completely different species then the "Alaskan King Crab" varieties. It's rare and always very expensive, especially when flown live directly to "Hong Kong" where special Banquets are prepared based upon this being the centerpiece. It may even be protected by quota presently.

It's one of the largest shellfish anywhere, comparable to Atlantic Lobsters or Giant Alaskan King Crabs the largest Tasmanian King I have seen weighted over 25 pounds yours was much bigger.

Taste wise it like eating a Giant Blue Claw Crab for flavor and sweetness with giant portions of Lump Meat picked from the Claws and Body.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I think I can understand and appreciate the difference between a US$1.50 bottle of ShaoHsing cooking wine and a US$6.00 bottle one.  And a $5.00 fish from a $20.00 fish.  But when the price scale goes exponentially higher, I really don't comprehend: (1) why the price is set so high (just because of scarcity?)?  And (2) what is the incremental benefit for paying this exponential increase?  For example, what would one gain in taking the US$46000 piece of Wild Ginseng versus taking a US $100 one.

But... people's believes are their believes.  If one believes that taking this piece of Wild Ginseng would make him/her live forever, or increases (for him) his manhood for the next 10 years, then I suppose no price is too high.  Especially to the Rich (and may or may not need to be famous)...  This is the way of life in their realm and money is never in considerations.

I agree w/ you that the prices for some food is just way out of hand. Frankly, a lot of people probably can't tell the difference between a moderate priced ingredient from an extremely expensive ingredient. If I didn't see the price tag and are presented w/ two bowls of ginseng soup, I probably won't be able to tell you which one is made w/ the $100 ginseng and which one w/ the $46,000 one....We all like good food, and probably won't mind spending a pretty penny on it once in a while. But if I have $46000 to spend on anything I want, it probably won't be on a piece of ginseng, unless I have more money than Bill Gates.... :wacko:

I've been reading the discussion regarding Chinese cuisine with Ruth Reichl and it was mentioned in HK it's possible to have a feast of the rarest delicacies for up to $1000 a person .  What's the most expensive Chinese meals you've ever eaten? I know of a few Chinese restaurants in Southern California which gave banquet menus for over $1000 a table, but I've never had the pleasure of partaking in one.

Yeah once you get deep into the expensive-posh-delicacies price really can ramp. I think it would be hard to get to $1000/head, though it could be possible including the XO cognac :raz: . Just think the usual suspects... whole braised sharks fin, abalone (dried is more expensive that fresh), birds nest, seasonal specialities (once had a plate of hairy crab roe which was about $100) &tc.

ta

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

when i was younger, i went with my family to visit relatives in Korea, as well as being an opportunity for my father to catch up with some old friends, one of whom took up to an exclusive chinese restaurant in the '63' [yooksam] building.

having never heard of 'degustation', we were surprised by the tiny portions of strange and interesting combinations served to us by the waiters in our private room, but by the end of the 12th course we were all full and very satisfied..

unfortunately, i remember little about the actual meal [except that it was delicious!], but i would presume that a meal like that would be quite expensive..

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

This is a pretty interesting topic, so I thought I might make my first post here :cool:

I'm not sure where we've reached in terms of the "most expensive dinner," but I remember a banquet that was promoted in Malaysia in 1994 (before the Asian crisis) which cost some RM38,000 (excluding drinks) for a table of ten (on current exchange rates, it would be around USD10,000, but back then, it would have been worth about USD18,000.00).

I'm not sure how valid the pricing system was as some of the ingredients were so rare that the restaurant could set the price and laugh at people for taking it up. Case in point: one dish was an apparently now-extinct Japanese abalone which had been in the freezer since 1976, and of which there were only seven whole ones left (and no, they weren't going to give you an entire one). That dish alone cost RM17,000.00. The next most expensive dish was triple-stewed wild venison sinew in cordyceps, which weighed in at a measly RM11,000.00.

It's not everyday that Japanese Kobe beef (as opposed to wagyu beef), at RM700, is the cheapest dish in a banquet!

Julian's Eating - Tales of Food and Drink

I'm not sure how valid the pricing system was as some of the ingredients were so rare that the restaurant could set the price and laugh at people for taking it up. Case in point: one dish was an apparently now-extinct Japanese abalone which had been in the freezer since 1976, and of which there were only seven whole ones left (and no, they weren't going to give you an entire one).  That dish alone cost RM17,000.00.  The next most expensive dish was triple-stewed wild venison sinew in cordyceps, which weighed in at a measly RM11,000.00.

This sounds incredible! Don't you think the abalone would've gone bad in the decades it's been in the freezer? Why was the venison dish so expensive?

I'm not sure how valid the pricing system was as some of the ingredients were so rare that the restaurant could set the price and laugh at people for taking it up. Case in point: one dish was an apparently now-extinct Japanese abalone which had been in the freezer since 1976, and of which there were only seven whole ones left (and no, they weren't going to give you an entire one).  That dish alone cost RM17,000.00.  The next most expensive dish was triple-stewed wild venison sinew in cordyceps, which weighed in at a measly RM11,000.00.

This sounds incredible! Don't you think the abalone would've gone bad in the decades it's been in the freezer? Why was the venison dish so expensive?

I don't think the abalone would have held up, which was why I didn't try it (that, and the minor matter of not having RM17,000 to spend). There was a pretty big fuss about it at the time in Malaysia and the manager of the restaurant appeared on national radio to spruik it. When the host asked him if the abalone would have gone bad, he simply replied "No, it is as fresh as if it were caught from the ocean waters yesterday."

I can't say for sure why the venison cost that much, but the manager claimed it was stewed in an infusion of rare, and one presumes, extremely expensive herbs.

You were allowed to pick individual dishes off the banquet menu if you didn't have the heart to go all the way. The banquet was designed to be a contemplative showcase rather than just "a dinner" (insofar as you can describe a $18,000 meal as "just dinner"), and was served as a progression of courses to be shared by the guests. If you took it up, you would start off at around 6 pm and finish up a little before midnight, with a selection of teas matched to the dishes, with intervals in between courses so the guests could do some moon-watching.

Interestingly, the teas were only provided if you ordered the entire banquet.

Julian's Eating - Tales of Food and Drink

• 2 months later...
Current  priciest set menu , a far cry from the RM38,000 menu. Just look at that evil claw on the king crab.

Tepee:

Thats a "Australian King Crab" from a limited fishery off the Tasmanian Coast of Australia.

I enjoyed one at a Chinese Restaurant in Australia that weighed over 14 pounds and cost almost US $250.00 several years ago, and it was one of the most delicious Crabs I have even eaten. I was allowed to enjoy 1/2 of the Crabs Body meat because I was one of the few willing to pick the carcass, I still dream about the Lump Crab Meat Clusters like I have never seen before. It must have weighed about 4/6 ounces the ultimate crab experience. The Roe was also decadent.

Every time I think about that crab I'm tempted to visit Australia again for the Crab and Sydney Rock Oysters from New South Wales.

Your Malaysian, "Mud Crabs" and "Coconut Crabs" are also very special.

Irwin

Thats a "Australian King Crab" from a limited fishery off the Tasmanian Coast of Australia.

What do you think is the best way to cook this beast? Anybody?

Salt and pepper? White steamed? Typhoon shelter style? Ginger and scallion?

I always wonder about these high-end delicacies... what is the best way to pay respect to their ultimate sacrifice? :raz:

What do you think is the best way to cook this beast? Anybody?

Salt and pepper? White steamed? Typhoon shelter style? Ginger and scallion?

I always wonder about these high-end delicacies... what is the best way to pay respect to their ultimate sacrifice? :raz:

Ah Leung:

I personally feel that in order how to learn about or appreciate most Shellfish or Seafood that the best way to first taste it and evaluate how to best lean to season or prepare it to enhance its, character, taste and flavors is to simply steam it according to the type of seafood it based upon.

With most Seafood it's variation of size may require skills in timing your steaming process but if done correctly a larger Lobster or Crab will taste very similar to the smaller sizes.

My only experience with, "Tasmanian King Crab" was at a Restaurant experienced in it's preparation. They simply steamed and served the whole Crab to our party with the Chef breaking it apart after displaying it into sections after presentation.

After the carapace was removed from the top it was drained, scooped and served in a bowl with a serving spoon being offered to dinners served on top of rice.

The "Crab Fat" (roe) was also scooped out and served around the table in a similar manner.

All the legs were then broken and split, Claws cracked with the meat neatly removed with the host serving it to his guests.

Myself and another lucky guest were served 1/2 of the body each, with a pick and nut cracker to help separate apart. We used neither preferring to enjoy and separate our 1/2's manually.

This was only one course among many served to our party, but it was in excess of about 1 1/2 pounds of raw Crab per person.

The Crab was accompanied by dipping sauces of different types of Vinegars, fine julianne's of ginger, and chili oil as well as a Fresh Ginger, Garlic , Sha Ginger with Leaf Parsley in Oil Dip.

The only places where it expected to share a Crab are some places the serve 1/2 Dungeness Crab on the west coast or in a Chinese Restaurant where often Crabs are cooked together and served on a platter with Black Beans, Ginger or Scallions.

On the east coast platters of even a dozen "Blue Claw" Crabs are served Boiled or Steamed family style for everyone to share.

At home we serve adults a Whole Steamed Dungeness Crab weighing 3 to 3 1/2 pounds and children about 1 pound less with rarely any left overs.

Irwin

[...]The only places where it expected to share a Crab are some places the serve 1/2 Dungeness Crab on the west coast or in a Chinese Restaurant where often Crabs are cooked together and served on a platter with Black Beans, Ginger or Scallions.[...]

Share 1/2 Dungeness Crab? Really?

These crabs sold in our markets are typically a bit less than 2 pound each. Most of the weight goes to shells, the uneditable gills and guts, and the high water content of the crab meat. 2 pound may sound like a lot but it really isn't. I can easily eat one Dungeness crab myself.

It's hard to imagine the restaurant shares a crab into 2 dishes.

[...]The only places where it expected to share a Crab are some places the serve 1/2 Dungeness Crab on the west coast or in a Chinese Restaurant where often Crabs are cooked together and served on a platter with Black Beans, Ginger or Scallions.[...]

Share 1/2 Dungeness Crab? Really?

These crabs sold in our markets are typically a bit less than 2 pound each. Most of the weight goes to shells, the uneditable gills and guts, and the high water content of the crab meat. 2 pound may sound like a lot but it really isn't. I can easily eat one Dungeness crab myself.

It's hard to imagine the restaurant shares a crab into 2 dishes.

Ah Leung:

It's sold by the 1/2 crab as a appetizer in quite a few western Restaurants in the Seattle area.

I have never seem anything else but whole crabs being served in Chinese Restaurants. We are fortunate in Seattle of being able to buy live Crabs that sometimes weigh over 4 pounds. I always order in advance when I want bigger Crabs so that they can be reserved for me since at Asian Markets everyone tries to pick out the largest crabs in the tank.

Irwin

My family and I just went out for alsakan King crab - the one we picked fed 10 of us :biggrin: It was a fairly big one and surprisingly lively for the end of season. We had it the usual three ways (steamed with egg white and erguotou, fried with chiles and in portugese rice) - and ate every morsel!!

OK, so it cost my auntie $250CAD but *I* thought it was money well spent :wink:

The only thing was that because they don't do 1/2 king crabs, you really need a bigish family to finish it off....

<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>

~~~~~~~easily eat one Dungeness crab myself. 

It is like lobster. A 1 1/2 pounder is like an appetizer. A 2 pounder is better for a meal for one, but a 3 pounder makes you feel as tho you had a lobster meal!

My family and I just went out for alsakan King crab - the one we picked fed 10 of us  :biggrin: It was a fairly big one and surprisingly lively for the end of season. We had it the usual three ways (steamed with egg white and erguotou, fried with chiles and in portugese rice) - and ate every morsel!!

OK, so it cost my auntie $250CAD but *I* thought it was money well spent  :wink:

The only thing was that because they don't do 1/2 king crabs, you really need a bigish family to finish it off....

How big was your crab? I had Alaskan king crab over the holidays. It wasn't terribly large, only 6 pounds at US$24/lb cooked 2 ways.

How big was your crab? I had Alaskan king crab over the holidays. It wasn't terribly large, only 6 pounds at US$24/lb cooked 2 ways.

sorry for the late reply (been continent crossing) - it was about 10 pounds of goodness.....

We also had hotpot with it, so it was a bit of a megafeast really.... :raz:

<a href='http://www.longfengwines.com' target='_blank'>Wine Tasting in the Big Beige of Beijing</a>