• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Epoisses and Public Transportation

BeefCheeks

Is it true that the French have formally banned anyone from riding the Metro while carrying fresh Epoisses?

Does anyone out there know for sure?

BeefCheeks is an author, editor, and food journalist.

"The food was terrible. And such small portions...."

--Alvy Singer

• 4 weeks later...
Is it true that the French have formally banned anyone from riding the Metro while carrying fresh Epoisses?

not sure about that, but in most Southeast Asian countries, you are banned from public transportation if you are carrying a fresh Durian...which reeks as badly as Epoisses (if not significantly worse)

cheers, JH

Well, I'm not sure, but I was cautioned to carry something to beat back the alligators from the sewers under the Metro. Our "remasseur" yesterday spirited back a Mont D'Or, Epoisses and smelly, runny chevre on the train without being arrested.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Whenever I travel home by train with a goodiebag full of funky smelling French cheese, I just place my bag as far away from my seat as possible. Has never been a problem so far!

Urban legend. Never heard of this.

Me neither - if it is true, then I've eluded the law many times. :huh:

Edit: but that certainly should be forbidden. Epoisses is evil.  :biggrin:

Gasp!! I think Epoisses is devilishly good... :raz:

U.E.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Aren't there much more "fragrant" cheeses than epoisse? Or maybe the one epoisse I had in the US -- one that I liked a great deal -- was just on the mild side.

There is also munster, livarot, maroilles and vieux-lille. Plus some incredibly fragrant Belgian cheese I forgot the name of. But époisses (to me) takes on a particularly vicious aspect when it's overdone. Other cheeses I can cope with. Fresh munster is a rare delicacy.

• 1 month later...
not sure about that, but in most Southeast Asian countries, you are banned from public transportation if you are carrying a fresh Durian...which reeks as badly as Epoisses (if not significantly worse)

I feel obliged to defend the much-maligned durian on behalf of its legion of fans in South East Asia and elsewhere who adore this piquant fruit who go to extreme lenghts to procure their favourite strains. Unlike cheese which is generally available all year round, durians are seasonal, fruiting once or twice a year and aficionadoes everywhere look forward to durian season with as much anticipation and delight as 8 year olds getting excited by the approach of Christmas...

I feel obliged to defend the much-maligned durian on behalf of its legion of fans in South East Asia and elsewhere who adore this piquant fruit who go to extreme lenghts to procure their favourite strains.  Unlike cheese which is generally available all year round, durians are seasonal, fruiting once or twice a year and aficionadoes everywhere look forward to durian season with as much anticipation and delight as 8 year olds getting excited by the approach of Christmas...

Indeed. But you still can't take durians into the Bangkok subway, etc., etc.

Michael aka "Pan"

I feel obliged to defend the much-maligned durian on behalf of its legion of fans in South East Asia and elsewhere who adore this piquant fruit who go to extreme lenghts to procure their favourite strains.  Unlike cheese which is generally available all year round, durians are seasonal, fruiting once or twice a year and aficionadoes everywhere look forward to durian season with as much anticipation and delight as 8 year olds getting excited by the approach of Christmas...

Indeed. But you still can't take durians into the Bangkok subway, etc., etc.

True, if you're referring to the whole fruit, but the truly determined have been known to transport the flesh, minus its thorny husk, ensconsced in layers of clingwrap and sealed in an air-tight tupperware-type container lashed with reams of cellotape for good measure. Thats how durian wends its way cross-border to chinatown grocers and supermarkets everywhere so that the addicted can get their fix. Come to think of it thats one way of getting your epoisses into the metro without incurring the wrath of fellow commuters. Here's an example of how durian suppresion technology can be applied to other endeavours :hmmm:

There must be a growing appreciation for this fruit worldwide - I hear they have started growing it in Queensland, Australia.

From the films I've seen of drug smuggling techniques, perhaps you can put the cheese (or durian) in a bag, then coat that bag in petroleum jelly which traps any odors, then put that in another bag. Additionally, you can put that whole setup in a large can of coffee beans which should definitely cover up any smells.

Aren't there much more "fragrant" cheeses than epoisse? Or maybe the one epoisse I had in the US -- one that I liked a great deal -- was just on the mild side.

There is also munster, livarot, maroilles and vieux-lille. Plus some incredibly fragrant Belgian cheese I forgot the name of. But époisses (to me) takes on a particularly vicious aspect when it's overdone. Other cheeses I can cope with. Fresh munster is a rare delicacy.

I know that overdone époisses is definitely disgusting, but even a young one does exude a certain odor that to me smells a bit like dirty diapers, especially when it wafts out of shopping bags. On the way home from the store where I got some a few weeks ago I became suddenly aware that my sack was intruding on the space of others. You know, sitting on the metro and everyone sort of freezes - and sniffs a bit.

bull

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

From the films I've seen of drug smuggling techniques, perhaps you can put the cheese (or durian) in a bag, then coat that bag in petroleum jelly which traps any odors, then put that in another bag. Additionally, you can put that whole setup in a large can of coffee beans which should definitely cover up any smells.

And then you've got durian-scented coffee beans. How lovely!

Wow, you really have got to love durian to do things like that :rolleyes: