• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolat a Seattle

I'm going to a trunk show at El Camino today to pick up some gifts from Zen Boy Chocolates, a local boutique chocolate company. (They also sell at the Ballard farmer's market.)

Which prompted me to wonder about other local chocolatiers - where do you go to get the best chocolate in Seattle? What's your favorite bar/truffle/bark?

P.S. There's a big chocolate spread in December Food and Wine.

3400 Phinney is my favorite chocolate--by far! They're located in the old Redhook Brewery building in Freemont. The retail shop is open only on Sundays right now. With their close proximity to the Freemont Flea Market, this is now a regular Sunday stop for me.

Boxed chocolates from 3400 Phinney are available at PCC and I believe they said Whole Foods too.

Be sure to try the mint--which is so fresh--like nothing I've had before. Burnt Sugar, Ginger, and the Scotch are my other favorites.

The website is still under construction, but lists contact info.

http://www.3400phinney.com/

Enjoy!

Traca

Seattle, WA

blog: Seattle Tall Poppy

3400 Phinney is my favorite chocolate--by far! They're located in the old Redhook Brewery building in Freemont.  The retail shop is open only on Sundays right now.  With their close proximity to the Freemont Flea Market, this is now a regular Sunday stop for me. 

Boxed chocolates from 3400 Phinney are available at PCC and I believe they said Whole Foods too.

Be sure to try the mint--which is so fresh--like nothing I've had before.  Burnt Sugar, Ginger, and the Scotch are my other favorites.

Enjoy!

This is the Essential Bread people's place, no? I was wondering what happened to their name.

A local ahead of her time, and occasional teacher:

Heavenly

Edited by tsquare (log)

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite place for truffles, buttercreams, caramels, and chocolate-covered nuts is Amore Chocolates in Bellevue.

I really love Guittard (the chocolate they use for their confections), and the way the ingredients are balanced so that the chocolate isn't overwhelmed by other flavors. It's amazing how good something as simple as milk chocolate covered peanuts can be when the chocolate is good and the peanuts are fresh.

They're always trying new things. Since I last reported on them, they've added chile truffles with 5 star and 10 star heat levels, a raspberry hazelnut buttercream (tastes like raspberry cheesecake for some reason), Bourbon Street caramels, and tiramisu buttercreams (lovely coffee flavor), and an amazing peanut butter truffle. Around Halloween, they had a spicy brown sugar and pumpkin buttercream, and right now they have boozy Eggnog buttercreams and eggnog truffles.

They also have some of the best cookies in town. And your first chocolate is free.

3400 Phinney is my favorite chocolate--by far! They're located in the old Redhook Brewery building in Fremont.  The retail shop is open only on Sundays right now.  With their close proximity to the Fremont Flea Market, this is now a regular Sunday stop for me. 

Be sure to try the mint--which is so fresh--like nothing I've had before.  Burnt Sugar, Ginger, and the Scotch are my other favorites.

Enjoy!

This is the Essential Bread people's place, no? I was wondering what happened to their name.

A local ahead of her time, and occasional teacher:

Heavenly

My, kind of, mistake. I didn't realize that when Essential was sold, they parted company with the chocolate company. Is it true that the chocolates sold at Essential are made at Essential and that the 3400 Phinney is completely a separate thing?

Edited by tsquare (log)

I called today. There are some changes going on over at 3400 Phinney. Long story short, they are no longer associated with Essential Bakery. Also, while their retail location is open, for now, Sundays only from 11-4. If you want chocolate, give them a call. They'll gladly provide orders throughout the week.

The website should be up and running in a few weeks.

3400 Phinney

3400 Phinney Avenue North Seattle, WA 98103

the chocolate factory # (206) 632-5100

E-mail: thechocolatefactory@thechocolatecompany.com

Edited by scarlett (log)

Traca

Seattle, WA

To whom was Essential sold?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

• 4 months later...

I've recently heard about Theo fair-trade/organic chocolates. Just wondering what the locals' opinion are on these.

ETA: I've had Fran's salted caramels (both the dark and the milk.) They were good as a candy confection, but nothing I would seek out again. I did like the burnt caramel ice-cream, though. :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)

I just bought a Theo's bar that has salty french bread crumbs mixed in with the dark chocolate. It's pretty good-good enough to make me curious about their other products. The location I bought it at (PCC) only had their bars, no other type of chocolates.

Just so everyone is clear, Theo and 3400 Phinney are the same thing. There's an article detailing the story, along with mouthwatering photos, in the current issue of Seattle Magazine. (Okay, I wrote it.) And I think the 3400 Bread and Chocolate bar is great--the best of their products I've tried so far.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

As pointed out on another topic on this forum the space at 3400 Phinney has been taken over by Tom Douglas for a 'chocolate cafe'.

Anyone know if they're moving? Or going under?

And the chocolates they had with breadcrumbs... are they dried crepe crumbs (I can't remember what that product is called, similar to the baking-with-Cornflakes idea) or actual bread crumbs?

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

Just so everyone is clear, Theo and 3400 Phinney are the same thing. There's an article  detailing the story, along with mouthwatering photos, in the current issue of Seattle Magazine. (Okay, I wrote it.) And I think the 3400 Bread and Chocolate bar is great--the best of their products I've tried so far.

I read that article! :biggrin: I'll be on the lookout for the Bread and Chocolate bar next time I'm in Seattle, thanks!

As pointed out on another topic on this forum the space at 3400 Phinney has been taken over by Tom Douglas for a 'chocolate cafe'. 

Anyone know if they're moving?  Or going under? 

And the chocolates they had with breadcrumbs... are they dried crepe crumbs (I can't remember what that product is called, similar to the baking-with-Cornflakes idea) or actual bread crumbs?

Theo Chocolate is not being taken over, moving, or going under; Theo Chocolate, located at 3400 Phinney, has space for a restaurant in their factory building. Apparently Tom Douglas will be operating the restaurant.

The Bread and Chocolate is not made with feuilletine (I think that's what you're thinking of). I don't know if it's breadcrumbs in the sense of grinding up baguettes, but they call it breadcrumbs, and it's delicious.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I love Fiori's chocolate coins - bought some at Espresso Vivace. I'm about to drop a payload to try out their chocolate bars, and I'm supposed to be getting their truffles for Mother's Day.

By the way, where does everyone get their bulk chocolate here in Seattle? I've been picking up Felchin and El Rey at Thriftway, but man is it ever expensive. Ok, I'm lying - for the majority of my baking I use Trader Joe's Pound Plus 70%, because it's so cheap and actually decent to use. Is anyone getting around $4/lb for Guittard, Felchin or Cacao Barry anywhere around here?

• 2 weeks later...

An owner of Theo chocolates actually came into my work last week and I have now tried everything they offer. I gave my mother their truffles which I bought at Whole foods, and those were fantastic, and then I got to try all of their bars. It was the tastiest and richest and fantastic chocolate I have ever had, and I have had a lot. My favorite of the lot was the bread and chocolate and the cocoa nibs. For the bars without the added crunch the coffee was my favorite. And I liked all of the others as well, but I must say I am a dark chocolate girl and both the coconut curry and the chai tea are milk. Albeit delicious nonetheless. Plus me and my coworker and my little sis and her friend are going on a tour of the chocolate factory this weekend!

" You soo tall, but you so skinny. I like you, you come home with me, I feed you!"- random japanese food worker.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this back up for a couple of reasons:

When I last asked, the bread in the bars was from Essential since they are an organic bread baker (to make crumbs for their organic chocolates.)

The NY Times had a nice article on Portland chocolate shop Cacao - only to recommend chocolates from Fran's and Theo's! That is just crazy, no?

Edited by tsquare (log)

The Bread and Chocolate is not made with feuilletine (I think that's what you're thinking of). I don't know if it's breadcrumbs in the sense of grinding up baguettes, but they call it breadcrumbs, and it's delicious.

I did a tour and tasting at Theo recently and came away very impressed. The Bread & Chocolate was one of my favs as well. According to our guide, they toast baguettes, pulverized them, then toss the crumbs with melted butter. Once the mixture is cooled, they blend it into the chocolate.

I particularly enjoyed tasting the different single-source bars side-by-side. Madagascar rocks!

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Theo's today for the David Lebovitz meet & greet. I had a chance to try their basil truffle and the rosemary caramel. I liked the idea of the rosemary caramel, but I couldn't really taste the rosemary. However, the basil truffle was fantastic! They just put it back in rotation for the summer.

For a side by side comparison of chocolates, check out the new shop between 1st & 2nd on Pike called the Chocolate Box. They sell Fiori, Oh!Chocolate, Theo's, and I believe Bakery Nouveau's chocolates. I was there for the grand opening and the shelves were full of chocolate truffles, bars, and baked goods. They also have some really fun drinks (chocolate tea anyone?) and gelato. Again, a great place for side by side comparisons.

I'm a big fan of Fiori. Their dark chocolate truffles are mind-boggling delicious. I also really like their champagne truffle. His curry truffle is also really good...complex, intriguing without being too assertive. Aesthetically, their chocolates are beautiful too. I'm amazed how shiny they are. Sitting side by side with some of the other chocolates represented at the Chocolate Box, Fiori's practically gleam!

Traca

Seattle, WA

I did a tour and tasting at Theo recently and came away very impressed. The Bread & Chocolate was one of my favs as well. According to our guide, they toast baguettes, pulverized them, then toss the crumbs with melted butter. Once the mixture is cooled, they blend it into the chocolate.

I particularly enjoyed tasting the different single-source bars side-by-side. Madagascar rocks!

I love this tour! We went when my family was in town last year and I've been wanting to go back -- I know more about chocolate now than I did then and I think I'll have more eye for the details of the process.

I think I remember from when I was on the tour that the bread in the Bread and Chocolate bars (my favorite too) comes from Tall Grass, but I might be hallucinating that in my desire to unite two of my favorite vendors.