• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cake recipe that shapes well in mini forms

Eden

I just picked up a really cute diamond hexed cake/candy mold kind of like this one. I would like to find a cake recipe that will keep the sharp facet marks. I worry that most cakes will crumble/get a little soft at the edges. any suggestions? Or is this a case of refaceting as I frost it maybe?

this was an impulse buy :biggrin:, so I'm not sure how best to use it yet...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

If you like spicy cakes, made with molasses and Guinness Stout :raz: , I suggest trying the Gramercy Tavern Gingerbread cake. A photo of it is here.

I baked a few of these last Christmas in a regular bundt pan and in mini-bundt pans. I sprayed the pans with Pam (the kind with flour in it) and the cakes were easy to remove and the indentations from the design were very precise. Dusted them with xxx sugar and served with whipped cream. They were very moist, almost pudding-like. Everybody raved.

I think the recipe would work well in your molds.

BTW, I split the 6-pack of Guinness between the batter (1) and me (5). :wacko:

Ilene

If you like spicy cakes, made with molasses and Guinness Stout  :raz: , I suggest trying the Gramercy Tavern Gingerbread cake.   A photo of it is here.

I baked a few of these last Christmas in a regular bundt pan and in mini-bundt pans. I sprayed the pans with Pam (the kind with flour in it) and the cakes were easy to remove and the indentations from the design were very precise. Dusted them with xxx sugar and served with whipped cream. They were very moist, almost pudding-like. Everybody raved.

BTW, I split the 6-pack of Guinness between the batter (1) and me (5).  :wacko:

i would have thought most any cake recipe would be fine ..but personal preference for getting cakes out of the pan much easier for me would be a product called cake release, i think wiltons puts it out but there are other godo ones out there

a recipe is merely a suggestion

If you like spicy cakes, made with molasses and Guinness Stout  :raz: , I suggest trying the Gramercy Tavern Gingerbread cake.   A photo of it is here.

BTW, I split the 6-pack of Guinness between the batter (1) and me (5).  :wacko:

i would have thought most any cake recipe would be fine ..but personal preference for getting cakes out of the pan much easier for me would be a product called cake release, i think wiltons puts it out but there are other godo ones out there

I suggested the Gramercy Tavern recipe because it was not only delicious and so appropriate to the holiday season, but the facet marks that Eden mentioned showed up distinctly. Other cake batters and even muffin batters would probably work just as well. You could always freeze the whole thing after baking and pop out each little cake.

Ilene

Glad you posted about this, I just remembered that I have a tin with six molds in the shape of very elaborate roses. I haven't tried it yet but I recall wondering about how a recipe would retain its shape. I think the key is a better that incorporates as little air and/or as small a crumb as possible. Unfortunately the ideal is jell-o ! But this gingerbread one looks amazing too.

i would have thought most any cake recipe would be fine ...

I find that some recipes keep their definition more than others. (i.e. crumble less at the edges) While I have recipes that come out fine for my mini bundt pans, I don't know if they will have the incredibly sharp definition necesary for the facets on these little guys to shine through so they dont end up looking like little round lumps...

But certainly the release is more important than usual in this case, so I will look into the ones suggested.

Beanie that gingerbread looks perfect . The edges are nice & crisp, just what I'm hoping for.

Of course now I want Magnolia's mini rose cake mold too :biggrin:

Thanks for the replies.

Gosh, I'm surprised about the Grammercy Tavern cake. I agree that it's the most delicious gingerbread ever, but I make it all the time in a springform, and find that it almost always sticks. It's a meltingly moist cake, and sticky from all the sugar and molasses. Eden, you should preview it in your pan bfore you need it to be beautiful, just in case. I'd love to be wrong, however!

thanks for the warning! no worries here, if I make a batch of test cake and it doesn't work out, Bill will "throw himself on the altar of sacrifice" & make it dissapear for me :laugh:

Here's a tutorial that I did on making pretty rose cakes in the rose shaped molds. Great for gift giving. It's called,"A Rose By Any Other Name" :biggrin:

PS. I wrote it with my sister* in mind. It's real simple :laugh:

*She's more noted for her business rather than her culinary skills :rolleyes:

Edited by K8memphis (log)

gallery_18120_1671_45153.jpg

Here's a photo of the Gramery Tavern cake made in a large bundt cake. The mini bundts had alot more detail.

Abra, I sprayed the pans with alot of Pam with flour to prevent sticking and it worked well. I made this cake a few times with no problem.

Eden, let us know how it turns out; hope Bill doesn't have to become the human garbage can. :laugh:

K8Memphis, thanks for the tutorial. Your posts are always so informative and funny :biggrin:

Ilene

• 2 weeks later...

fab tutorial K8memphis, and what a lovely job of packaging too.

So today I went to make my gingerbread jewels & discovered that some idiot at the discount store where I bought the mould had put the plastic string for the price tag right through the middle of one of the mould cups, ie popped a hole in the middle of it :angry: I doubt I still have the receipt, and I don't know if they'll have any others I can exchange for. Grumbling & wailing abounded for a while.

Since I'd already bought the oatmeal stout I went ahead & made the gingerbread recipe anyway & just put it in my mini bundt pan. I used a 50/50 cocoa powder & butter cake-release so I wouldn't get any white spots.

The result is a VERY tasty gingerbread, but I have to say looking at the detail that it would probably not have worked with the jewel facets. Maybe I did something wrong, but it's just not that fine at the edges, though it did release very easily.

Probably fine for anything in the 4" range, but not for the uber small...

Thanks for the tips regardless.